GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
I think if you tipped the bike over on its side it would be a lot easier to deal with. It would be real difficult if you had to do it with limited space when upright while laying upside down on the floor in the fetal position.

I think my next plan would be to cut a deep slot into the head and use big blade bit with a wrench on it to see if it will break loose. A rotary saw blade in a dremel type tool should work to cut the slot.

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
It looks to me like an open end wrench or open end adjustable wrench was used at an angle caused by the engine case features limiting access. Rounded the corners. Rookie mistake. But we have all been there. Learning curve.

Those drain plugs are designed for using a socket.

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
It’s not a $30,000 door stopper.

My top shelf technique would be to make a drill bushing that fit over the bolt flange. I would get a replacement bolt to measure its length, I would then use the drill bushing to drill a hole center in the bolt to a maximum depth without drilling through. The size would be as nessesary to use an appropriate sized easy-out extractor in the threaded portion of bolt.

After that step I would enlarge the drill bushing hole to drill to a size just a little larger than the major diameter of the bolt thread. I would drill down until the bolt head separates from the threaded portion. This separation will release all the preload on the bolt. The bolt should essentially screw right out. An easy out can then be used to remove the leftover bolt.

A machinist type of person would be your best bet in my opinion. Tip over the bike for best access.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts