GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi gang. I went to change my engine oil today, ride a good bit to warm it up, parked, got oil pan and as I grabbed my 12mm socket and box-end wrenches, I found they did not fit easily/well. None the less I continued to try to get them on and thought I had a good fit but upon applying pressure to loosen the bolt the head stripped. This happened several times and I now have a fully stripped bolt head. Any ideas shy of a tap & die? I think I may need to head into the shop to have them deal with this. It really sucks and it super frustrating. Here is a pic of the bolt - its the first of the three located nearest to the front. Thanks! Rob

Automotive tire Grey Rim Artifact Automotive wheel system

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm trying to get my head wrapped around your photo......Is this a 2018+ DCT?
You say it's the first of 3 drain bolts closest to front?
#1 in the picture below from my bike?

Sure looks boogered up alright.......all I can think of is a very good vice-grip and take it slow. Maybe a little penetrating oil first....

View attachment 408181
Thanks Brian. Yes 2018 DCT Tour - same as your diagram (but not nearly as clean!!!). Its the #2 bolt on your picture (so I guess not the furthest toward front - couldn't quite tell while I was under there which was further up). Found a number of other posts suggesting "Bolt Extractors" which look like normal sockets but seem to narrow the deeper you go. May try that or JBWeld a throw-away socket or open-end wrench

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
That does NOT look at all correct. Are you SURE that is an oil drain bolt? The pic makes it look recessed and where is the crush washer that is supposed to be under it? Take another photo from a bit further out for perspective.

prs
Here is a pic with more context...
Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Tread Automotive exterior

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
Hey guys. Thank you all very much for the ideas & suggestions. Still no joy. Something is very off. I changed the oil myself 15 months ago and am sure I didn't torque it down that tight. Anyway, vice grips, bolt extractor, wd40, profanity, crying and despair have not yielded much in terms of results. I have a more stripped head and an acceptance of defeat. New bolt (2) in the mail and here Thurs. Will call shop tomorrow and make appointment. I would have loved to put it down on her side for better leverage but I only do that in super market parking lots when mistakenly thinking kickstand is down. Would also have loved to take off the exhaust so I could have a little room to work. Alas no. Anyway, all a great help and really thought that would do the trick.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #114 ·
"I don't think even he thought he'd get 100+ posts "
Or wishing he hadn't !! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

After a few more unsuccessful attempts using various techniques, I have resigned to take it in and will be dropping it off next week.

As garyahouse mentioned, I do think the initial strip occurred due to the socket not being on straight on the first pull or two. But subsequent attempts I did try to pay attention to it but had to balance the bolt extractor biting/grabbing the head vs being full on straight.

I love the idea of welding a new bolt head onto the stripped but am not equipped to do that and would need to take off the exhaust pipes from the engine block to get some room to work. Honestly I think if I took those off I could potentially succeed. Or perhaps end up with a $30K door stopper.

I'll update one last time once I'm up and running with new oil and bolt.

Thanks for the help, interest & banter!! Rob

1 - 5 of 5 Posts