GL1800Riders Forums banner
61 - 80 of 136 Posts

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
I think if you tipped the bike over on its side it would be a lot easier to deal with. It would be real difficult if you had to do it with limited space when upright while laying upside down on the floor in the fetal position.

I think my next plan would be to cut a deep slot into the head and use big blade bit with a wrench on it to see if it will break loose. A rotary saw blade in a dremel type tool should work to cut the slot.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Yes
I think if you tipped the bike over on its side it would be a lot easier to deal with. It would be real difficult if you had to do it with limited space when upright while laying upside down on the floor in the fetal position.

I think my next plan should be to cut a deep slot into the head and use big blade bit with a wrench on it to see if it will break loose. A rotary saw blade in a dremel type tool should work to cut the slot.
Yes once you get it on its side you have more options. If necessary you could drill the head off the drain plug. Or use a hammer and chisel. One good tap and you could have it off. It only needs to make the first move.I would heat it and gently tap it with the chisel. In the CCW direction lol.

·
Registered
9,758 Posts
Hi gang. I went to change my engine oil today, ride a good bit to warm it up, parked, got oil pan and as I grabbed my 12mm socket and box-end wrenches, I found they did not fit easily/well. None the less I continued to try to get them on and thought I had a good fit but upon applying pressure to loosen the bolt the head stripped. This happened several times and I now have a fully stripped bolt head. Any ideas shy of a tap & die? I think I may need to head into the shop to have them deal with this. It really sucks and it super frustrating. Here is a pic of the bolt - its the first of the three located nearest to the front. Thanks! Rob

View attachment 408178
Maybe with a car wash it would be easier to see the problem and work on it.
Ive never seen so much mud on a Goldwing.

·
Registered
1,673 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
I think these things (as good as they may appear) are one of the very worst tools ever made by man. My kids got me one for my birthday and, at best, it's only useful on bolts that are very easy to remove. Forget a stuck bolt....

·
Registered
239 Posts
Three days and 68 how-to posts later. . . isn’t that drain bolt out yet? :)

Tim
I once worked for a full 7 days (multiple heat, whack, and lube cycles per day) working on a broken bolt on my old '97 Wrangler....

61 - 80 of 136 Posts