GL1800Riders Forums banner
81 - 100 of 157 Posts

·
Registered
2013 F6B
724 Posts
I think these things (as good as they may appear) are one of the very worst tools ever made by man. My kids got me one for my birthday and, at best, it's only useful on bolts that are very easy to remove. Forget a stuck bolt....
I agree. I was given one as well. It does work great on "eyelet" bolts. Like on a Christmas tree stand.

·
Premium Member
2018 DCT Airbag
8,299 Posts
Man. Following.
Assuming you posted that because you want to follow the thread, there's a click box labelled "Follow" at the beginning of every page of every thread.

·
Premium Member
2018 DCT Airbag
8,299 Posts
I'm wondering if as a result of a manufacturing defect, that bolt may have been too soft and that's why it stripped in the first place. Also--someone mentioned turning the bolt the wrong way and over-tightening it.

·
Registered
2022 DCT Non-Touring
179 Posts
I'm wondering if as a result of a manufacturing defect, that bolt may have been too soft and that's why it stripped in the first place. Also--someone mentioned turning the bolt the wrong way and over-tightening it.
Doubtful, but possible. This almost always happens due to worn or incorrect tools being used, and user error. It happens.

·
Registered
2022 Blackwing Tour 6sp, Harley CVO Ultra - NW Chicago Burbs
517 Posts
Imho, someone was using a 12 pt, which is a big no-no. Seems the fellow must have solved the issue with all the great suggestions.

·
Registered
4,014 Posts
It looks to me like an open end wrench or open end adjustable wrench was used at an angle caused by the engine case features limiting access. Rounded the corners. Rookie mistake. But we have all been there. Learning curve.

Those drain plugs are designed for using a socket.

81 - 100 of 157 Posts