GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I changed the oil/filter in my 2018 Gold Wing MT yesterday, but am concerned about the torque requirements for the drain bolt and the oil filter. The manual says 22 ft/lb for the drain bolt, but I couldn't bring myself to tighten it that much. I set the torque wrench to 22, but before it "clicked" I just got the feeling that I was tightening that little bolt waaaay too much. I can't imagine the ramifications of stripping that little hole out! Also, the specs called for 19 ft/lb for the filter, and that seemed like an excessive amount. I've always been told to hand-tighten the filter and go about 1/2 - 3/4 turn after the o-ring makes contact. Did I misunderstand the specs, or am I just being overly cautious??

·
Registered
269 Posts
I torque to the spec. The only exception I have ever made was to my FJR and XSR900, Yama asked for 32 lb/ft for the drain plugs. I was like "f that" and torqued to 24, which has been fine. For Honda, I think that the oil filter is a bit much, but 22 for the drain plug is not excessive. Just use a torque wrench and a fresh crush washer, and you'll be fine.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I think those are the dry specs values. I saw somewhere here on the forum an explanation. I think dry spec 22 ft/lb is 14 ft/lb oiled.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Me, I just snug the bolt and then bump the wrench with the palm of my hand. Tight enough. Never had one come lose. And them crush washers?? I am 71 years old and have changed a lot of oil and I have never replaced a crush washer. And you will be sorry if you over tighten that oil filter as they are a bugger to get back off.

·
Vendor
16,365 Posts
I changed the oil/filter in my 2018 Gold Wing MT yesterday, but am concerned about the torque requirements for the drain bolt and the oil filter. The manual says 22 ft/lb for the drain bolt, but I couldn't bring myself to tighten it that much. I set the torque wrench to 22, but before it "clicked" I just got the feeling that I was tightening that little bolt waaaay too much. I can't imagine the ramifications of stripping that little hole out! Also, the specs called for 19 ft/lb for the filter, and that seemed like an excessive amount. I've always been told to hand-tighten the filter and go about 1/2 - 3/4 turn after the o-ring makes contact. Did I misunderstand the specs, or am I just being overly cautious??
I believe that is a misprint and 22ft/lbs is a dry torque. Use 14ft/lbs for a wet torque.

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
Ask Fred about torquing oil drain plugs........just sayin'

I torque the critical stuff.......not oil drain plugs.
Been changing oil on cars, trucks, and motorcycles for over 45-years and never used a torque wrench on the drain plugs. Just use common sense feel...
Never had one fall off, leak, stripped, or unable to get off the next time.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Unfortunately, I have a history of breaking bolts by giving them "just a little bit more", so a torque wrench is pretty much mandatory. The idea of 14 ft/lb oiled sounds good to me - that's probably around where my brain told me to quit, so perhaps I'm getting better. I remember a long time ago asking a Pontiac mechanic for head bolt torque specs and his answer was, "tighten them down good, but not enough to break them". Talk about useless.

·
Vendor
21,574 Posts
My advice is DO NOT USE A TORQUE WRENCH on OIL DRAIN PLUGS. You are actually MORE likely to strip the threads using a torque wrench than if you do it by feel. I've been contacted by numerous folks over the years that have stripped out drain plugs on motorcycle using torque wrenches on them.

·
Registered
994 Posts
I am always very snuggly with my drain plugs.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Just note on the crush washer... if you have over-tightened the drain bolt, then the crush washer will be crushed. I think it prudent to replace the washer at that time. I tend to replace every couple times as they will become somewhat distorted after several uses. At my last oil change a couple weeks back, I replaced all three washers. No leaks are evident with the new washers. And, I snugged the bolt and definitely did not run it to 22 ft/lbs with a torque wrench. My problem from this time was using 12-point wrenches and not 6-pt. I rounded off the bolt that sits at an angle and had to go with the type extractor that bites into the head rendering the bolt useless after that.

So, I'm still looking to buy a set of 6-pt wrenches as I haven't really found any locally, plus I had to buy a riding lawn mower, ergo, tools had to take a back seat for a while. And, now, I've got to get to working on opening the pool. I mean the bike is fine for the time being, so buying tools can be done at my leisure. Good luck.

·
Registered
2,972 Posts
All the years I've been riding, 50yrs now, using torque spec for drain plugs I've never had problem. What size bolt is it? I think on my 08 the thread is 14mm and spec at 25ft/lb. No way in the world you will damage a 14mm thread bolt using 25ft/lb. Don't know what the 2018 uses, but go by the torque recommended and you won't have any problem.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
That’s one bolt you don’t want to strip out. How many guys check their torque wrench for accuracy? If you need to use one on your drain bolt then you probably shouldn’t be changing your own oil.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
8 Posts
Just picked up my first GW (standard) and wondering when to do my first oil change for a newly broken in motor. With previous bike (multiple brands) I tried to do first change at 500 or 1000 miles. My manual says break in is achieved at 300 miles. Just curious when most GW riders do first change. (OFF topic, didn't mean to hijack thread)

·
Registered
994 Posts
Just picked up my first GW (standard) and wondering when to do my first oil change for a newly broken in motor. With previous bike (multiple brands) I tried to do first change at 500 or 1000 miles. My manual says break in is achieved at 300 miles. Just curious when most GW riders do first change. (OFF topic, didn't mean to hijack thread)
There is no reason not to do the first oil change at the recommended 4000 miles. The bike is not going to explode. Some people are just overly cautious and change their oil every 500 miles. 😄

·
Registered
2,972 Posts
Reason for using a torque wrench is most guys going by feel are way over torquing bolts, not the other way around.
In case anyone has torque wrenches and have any doubt as to their accuracy the digital torque adapter sold at Harbor Freight works great for varifying torque wrenches are working correctly. Specs say basically 30 to 150ft/lb range, but it works good clear down to 5 ft/lb.

·
Registered
994 Posts
Reason for using a torque wrench is most guys going by feel are way over torquing bolts, not the other way around.
In case anyone has torque wrenches and have any doubt as to their accuracy the digital torque adapter sold at Harbor Freight works great for varifying torque wrenches are working correctly. Specs say basically 30 to 150ft/lb range, but it works good clear down to 5 ft/lb.
I have one also. Haven't used it recently.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts