GL1800Riders Forums banner

Oil drain plug torque

13K views 48 replies 27 participants last post by  Hoopdc 
#1 ·
I changed the oil/filter in my 2018 Gold Wing MT yesterday, but am concerned about the torque requirements for the drain bolt and the oil filter. The manual says 22 ft/lb for the drain bolt, but I couldn't bring myself to tighten it that much. I set the torque wrench to 22, but before it "clicked" I just got the feeling that I was tightening that little bolt waaaay too much. I can't imagine the ramifications of stripping that little hole out! Also, the specs called for 19 ft/lb for the filter, and that seemed like an excessive amount. I've always been told to hand-tighten the filter and go about 1/2 - 3/4 turn after the o-ring makes contact. Did I misunderstand the specs, or am I just being overly cautious??

#38 ·
I wish I had seen this post when it was fresh. Being it's you, I would not have taken it as credible.

I did tighten my oil drain bolts to 22 ft lbs. I had to destroy the bolts and get them off with some kind of nut extracter. Holy crap !!
Just an FYI; Greg is no longer on the forum. IIRC, it was something to do with the cost of being a vendor here.

Reactions: Hoopdc
#42 ·
#44 ·
This old tune on the platter again? Well, my 2 cents. No torque wrench on small hardware. No torque wrench on oil drain bungs or oil filters. Oil filter turned to just barely make contact then 1/2 to 3/4 turn more. Oil bungs to make gasket contact and then nice and firm plus a small ugga-tugga. Now a preachment; it is NOT the threads on the fastener over which we worry, it is the threads in the THIN engine case. Further, anyone who believes Honda specified a "dry torque" for oil bungs needs a psychiatric exam.

prs

Reactions: Hoopdc
#45 ·
lol…… You are the king of your own mind. Super ok by me. You do you and I do mine. Well, didn’t sound right, but you know my beef here 😂. So to give you a tiny tip here, when you do 3/4 turn on an oil filter after hand tight, it’s just about 19 ft/lbs. Don’t ask me how I know, I am a bit mechanical sicko. 🤪🤪🤪. I will never debate your way of YOU thinking. As I said, as long as nothing leaks, you did your good deed on YOUR bike. 🍷🍷🍷