GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Premium Member
2018 DCT Airbag
6,882 Posts
Thanks. That's enlightening. I wish he'd done one additional test: longevity. It would be nice to have an objective look at the practicality of changing filters every other oil change.

·
Registered
17,566 Posts
The oil filter type speccified for a given product takes the resistance of that filter into consideration. Even when the filter is at the end of the specified filter change interval. Don't fret.

prs

Reactions: igetaround

·
Premium Member
2018 DCT Airbag
6,882 Posts
The oil filter type speccified for a given product takes the resistance of that filter into consideration. Even when the filter is at the end of the specified filter change interval. Don't fret.

prs
We like to fret. Fretting is the whole point of an oil (or oil filter) thread.

·
Registered
17,566 Posts
Reactions: Sladep and gkarasik

·
Registered
2018 Honda Goldwing Tour DCT Airbag
2,663 Posts
Ya know,
I have never, EVER understood logically, the reason a manufacturer authorizes an oil filter change EVERY OTHER TIME the oil is changed. Now, I have to figure that most manufacturers kind-a know what they're doing in terms of engine design, maintenance, oil types/quanity/quality/weight/and more so, to say that you only need to change the filter every other time, apparently is just fine with them. It just doesn't sit well with me. I mean, you're dumping out 90% of the old used oil with whatever kinds of contaminates that are carried out with that oil.

But, you're leaving in a DIRTY FILTER with some of the same contaminates etc. in it. Yes, the filter is supposed to FILTER out all those but whether or not it does, I don't have a clue. So, with all that being said, it just makes sense to me to spend the $4.50-$6.00 or so on a new filter every single oil change.
Scott

·
Registered
2018 6-Speed
809 Posts
"So, with all that being said, it just makes sense to me to spend the $4.50-$6.00 or so on a new filter every single oil change.
Scott"

I always change the filter when I change oil but it's 2022, OEM Honda filters are more like $17-$18 and up, way up depending where you get them...

·
Registered
9,419 Posts
Y'all should price the HP4S Synthetic oil at the dealer. ~$20 a quart with tax. $140 for a DCT with filters.

• Sad
Reactions: Hondahawk

·
Registered
8,269 Posts
Ya know,
I have never, EVER understood logically, the reason a manufacturer authorizes an oil filter change EVERY OTHER TIME the oil is changed. Now, I have to figure that most manufacturers kind-a know what they're doing in terms of engine design, maintenance, oil types/quanity/quality/weight/and more so, to say that you only need to change the filter every other time, apparently is just fine with them. It just doesn't sit well with me. I mean, you're dumping out 90% of the old used oil with whatever kinds of contaminates that are carried out with that oil.

But, you're leaving in a DIRTY FILTER with some of the same contaminates etc. in it. Yes, the filter is supposed to FILTER out all those but whether or not it does, I don't have a clue. So, with all that being said, it just makes sense to me to spend the $4.50-$6.00 or so on a new filter every single oil change.
Scott
Thank you! :love: By now you all know that I'm an oil changeOHLIC Never once in my 55 yrs of changing oil in my motorcycle(s) have I ever used the same filter twice :eek: ALL your doing is replacing all the :poop::poop: that the first filter removed from your old oil...........I thought that was the reason for an oil change in the first place...

Ronnie
5/15/22

·
Premium Member
2007 GL1800
234 Posts
I change my oil per the service manual.
My manual is for 2006-2010 GL1800's of course the info given in manuals covering other years may be different
My manual recommends oil changes using an OEM filter and Honda GN4 oil, every 8,00 miles with a new filter every time,
Admittedly I do tend to change closer to 6.5 or 7k miles.
Handwriting Font Material property Parallel Rectangle

I am no expert on oil changes or oil filter science or their construction but my manual at least says to change the filter with every oil change.
The sentiment expressed a few times in this thread that I am curious about though if I am understanding the arguments correctly, is the one saying essentially that changing the filter every other time reintroduces contaminates that were trapped in the existing filter back into the new oil.
you're leaving in a DIRTY FILTER with some of the same contaminates etc. in it.
ALL your doing is replacing all the :poop::poop: that the first filter removed from your old oil...........I thought that was the reason for an oil change in the first place...
Quotes not intended as shots at anyone, just used as examples.
Not being an expert and not being someone who changes filters every other oil change I am just trying to think through this concept logically.
If the filters job is to trap contaminates and not let them back out into the oil stream then why would it let those contaminants out into new oil if the oil were changed but the filter wasn't
I assume it was retaining those contaminants in the filter with the original oil. Why would changing the oil cause the filter to release contaminants it was previously retaining?
I have been told that when the bypass opens in the filter under cold start conditions etc that the oil moving effectively straight through the filter can "wash" contaminants off the filter material flushing it back into the engine. (I have no idea of the veracity of this claim.)
Is this where the fear of alternate oil filter changes comes from?

·
Registered
17,566 Posts
Ya know,

Scott
Ligic only has a place in a minor part of the equation. The primary and illogical factor is the carbon/pollution "footprint" concept, what is it called? CAFE? Now, I have an application were I think I have logically decided to change oil keeping same filter with two pieces of my land management equipment; a Ventrac 4700Z tractor and a John Deere 650 CUT. It gets way hot here in the summer and way cold in the Winter. Winter chores for these machines iare relatively light, usually 20 to 25 hours each in snow removal or fire wood processing. New filters fitted at end of fall season and oil chnanged to very light oil weights such as 0-30 expecting starts at below 0 F temps on occasjion. The OCI on either machine is 200 hours. I drain the light oil in spring and also remove and let the filter drain as much as possible, then use the proper grade of oil for hot and heavy long day use. I then change all when the 200 hour OCI (total per last fall) occurs. Logical? I tink so. I have cut open filters on all of my stuff, incuding the Wing, and have never seen any condition even close to being loaded -- typically pretty clean except the diesel CUT's filter is blackened. The DCT filter on the 2018 Wing was very nasty the fisrt change, but near pristine since. But, on the motorcycle I change all every OCI. Hmmm, come to think of it, the Wing is the least expensive of those three machines... go figure???

prs

Reactions: igetaround

·
Premium Member
2018 DCT Airbag
6,882 Posts
As in every thread that involves oil, we're overthinking (overfretting?) this. If manufacturers recommend a filter change every other oil change, it's because they're convinced the filter can do its job.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
My manual recommends oil changes using an OEM filter and Honda GN4 oil, every 8,00 miles with a new filter every time,...I am no expert on oil changes or oil filter science or their construction but my manual at least says to change the filter with every oil change....
Part of whats being discussed is that the newer Honda service manual recommends a different schedule for oil filter changes. Also notice the filters have no specific change based on "date" because there is no consumable (oil additives deteriorate over time) so to be accurate the recommendation for filters is based on mileage alone.
Rectangle Product Font Parallel Screenshot

·
Registered
764 Posts
I drain my oil every night. I bring it in the hose to keep it warm.

I use three drops of Dawn per 2 cups of Hot water, to rinse out the Filter.

I Got tired of shaking out the water. I found the washer spin cycle saves my arm from cramping up, with the shaking method.(y)

I haven't bought new oil or fiters in 12 years,

Bike likes the warm oil too. Shifts real smooth, like it's a Automatic.;)

·
Premium Member
2018 DCT Airbag
6,882 Posts
I drain my oil every night. I bring it in the hose to keep it warm.

I use three drops of Dawn per 2 cups of Hot water, to rinse out the Filter.

I Got tired of shaking out the water. I found the washer spin cycle saves my arm from cramping up, with the shaking method.(y)

I haven't bought new oil or fiters in 12 years,

Bike likes the warm oil too. Shifts real smooth, like it's a Automatic.;)
There's something synthetic about this post.

·
Premium Member
2007 GL1800
234 Posts
Part of whats being discussed is that the newer Honda service manual recommends a different schedule for oil filter changes. Also notice the filters have no specific change based on "date" because there is no consumable (oil additives deteriorate over time) so to be accurate the recommendation for filters is based on mileage alone.
View attachment 401430
I had already acknowledged earlier in my post that other manuals could be different.
of course the info given in manuals covering other years may be different

The point I was questioning was....
The sentiment expressed a few times in this thread that I am curious about though if I am understanding the arguments correctly, is the one saying essentially that changing the filter every other time reintroduces contaminates that were trapped in the existing filter back into the new oil.

1 - 20 of 73 Posts