GL1800Riders Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Oil filter differences?????

3K views 18 replies 14 participants last post by  Dragonslayer 
#1 ·
I am just curious if some of the wiser members on this board know what the differences are between the 2001-2006 oil filters and the 2007-2010 oil filters. I purchased some Emgo filters for my CBR1100XX and found out months later that the filters did not work on that bike. After doing some cross referencing I found that they will work on the GL1800's from 2001-2006.
After checking Hals site, I see that he lists a part# of 10-82240 in the Emgo filters but does not specify years. I just need to know whether I can use the part # 10-82230's that I have a 6pk of on the Wing or if I need to find a NEW home for them. By the way I have a 2008 Comfort Pack/ Nav if that makes a difference. I know sometimes it is just a matter of the length of the filter.. Please help

Kevin

#2 ·
I thought all the 1800 and 1500's used the same filter. :shrug:

#3 ·
I thought all the 1800 and 1500's used the same filter. :shrug:
Called one of the local dealers and he said that the 2001-2010's all used the same part number so I guess i will hold on to these and run them out on the Wing unless someone else says different. I would have hated to get rid of them since I got them for about $5 a piece.

#6 ·
honda has about 2 different spin on oil filter. and they will both interchange. one is simply larger then the other. the wing filter is nothing special it fits honda cars, and pickup. it fits nissan pickups and some cars . it will fit on a kia. and will fit a large number of the reefer units on the front on 18 wheeler trailers. look on the baldwin filter site, and check out the fitments on that filter. its simply a small spin on filter. do you people get this worked up over the oil filter on your cars and pickup. or do you just go to jiffy lube and not worry about it. clean oil and filter any brand and your 1800 will live many many years and serve you faithfully

#7 ·
No one has done a comprehensive test on GL1800 filters and I know of no aftermarket filter failures. I use the Honda OEM filter. Why take a chance?

And the Valkerie and GL1800 filters will both fit. But one is longer than the other

#8 ·
I am just curious if some of the wiser members on this board know what the differences are between the 2001-2006 oil filters and the 2007-2010 oil filters. I purchased some Emgo filters for my CBR1100XX and found out months later that the filters did not work on that bike. After doing some cross referencing I found that they will work on the GL1800's from 2001-2006.
After checking Hals site, I see that he lists a part# of 10-82240 in the Emgo filters but does not specify years. I just need to know whether I can use the part # 10-82230's that I have a 6pk of on the Wing or if I need to find a NEW home for them. By the way I have a 2008 Comfort Pack/ Nav if that makes a difference. I know sometimes it is just a matter of the length of the filter.. Please help

Kevin
http://minimopar.knizefamily.net/oilfilters/opinions.html#recommended

#10 ·
I was not trying to start a darn thread about all the possible filters that could be used or which one is best. The EMGO filters have the same build quality as the Honda filters so that is what I use when I am feeling cheap. All I wanted to know is whether anyone knew whether the part # I list would work on a 2008 Wing, not all this other info, but thanks either way.

#11 ·
...The EMGO filters have the same build quality as the Honda filters...
Kevin, understand and not trying to indicate one filter's quality over another. However, I am curious how you know Emgo is same quality build as OEM honda? I was always under the impression, right or wrong, the Emgo filters were inferior. Please share your source of info. Thanks.

#13 ·
lol

you will learn that these guys just want to help they don't really care what you want to know!

I was not trying to start a darn thread about all the possible filters that could be used or which one is best. The EMGO filters have the same build quality as the Honda filters so that is what I use when I am feeling cheap. All I wanted to know is whether anyone knew whether the part # I list would work on a 2008 Wing, not all this other info, but thanks either way.

#15 ·
Kevin, understand and not trying to indicate one filter's quality over another. However, I am curious how you know Emgo is same quality build as OEM honda? I was always under the impression, right or wrong, the Emgo filters were inferior. Please share your source of info. Thanks.
I found this on the web:

"The winningest team in U.S. endurance racing history; Team Emgo Suzuki; relies on Emgo filters Only the highest-quality paper; metal and rubber are used to manufacture these top-grade filters Clean oil makes engines last longer The best thing to happen to oil filters since they were invented Breakthrough technology allows the filter to trap particles down to 10 microns in size; conventional filters can only trap particles no smaller than 20 microns Synthetic filter material helps bikes last longer."

It has to be the best filter.

#17 ·
To answer your question. If the number referenced works with 01-06 then it will also fit and work for 06-12 models.

I have some OEM from a friend that he used on his 02, they worked on my 08 and I just put one on my 12...

#18 ·
I looked up my cross-reference to see if the Emgo was on there. It wasn't, but I posted it anyway.

#19 ·
I looked up my cross-reference to see if the Emgo was on there. It wasn't, but I posted it anyway.
Thanks, I noticed that. I was having a bad day yesterday and was in the heat most of the day. After reading what i posted today I see that I may have come accross kinda harsh sounding. I was just trying to say that it was not my intention to rehash stuff that has probably been discussed to death before:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.