GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is more a vent than a question. After accumulating 700 miles on my new bike, reading numerous posts regarding different oils, filters, filter removal techniques, etc. I decided to put in the new Amsoil I just bought.

I would like to meet the gorilla at the factory with the impact wrench who is installing the filters! Damn! Strap wrench, old motorcycle chain strap wrench, special socket for end of filter....

It's not off yet! I am just short of driving a screw driver through the thing and using it for a "t" handle.

Sorry but no one else is here to listen to my ranting.....my cat thinks I'm crazy...

·
Registered
5,541 Posts
I found an Ice Pick through the filter did a great job! Gives a certain "Basic Instict" sense of satisfaction too :!:

Then I bought one of these...

http://tinyurl.com/rwyya

Works much nicer for taking off and installing the oil filter (with the cowl on), cheap too!

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
Yep ! I hear ya, mine was the same way......... Now they come off very easy....... :)

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
Mine came off very easily. My tool? MasterCard! :lol:

I figured it was going to be stuck on by that gorilla. While I was having an accessory installed I opted for the oil and filter change. That was at 1.6K miles. Next oil and filter was at 6.2K miles.

When I do it myself, I have been using a rubber strap wrench.

·
Registered
4,660 Posts
Had a Ford Tarus and Merc Sable (I know, I know - didn't learn the first time) - after the first try I just went out with the big screwdriver and hammer every oil change and didn't fool with it any more. Lots of change shops do just that to speed the process.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Really not trying to be a smart a$$, but are you turning it the right way? Have seen people while lying upside down get confused.

·
Registered
260 Posts
I purchased a wrench from the Honda dealer for $10, works great. Never had a problem and still using the same crush washer three filters later, I'm living life on the "Wild Side". I'm not to big on all this oil BS, I just buy Honda oil, change it every 3-4 thousand miles. I personally never heard of an engine failure on a Goldwing that was due to oil failure, that is if the oil is change regularly and the correct oil is used.

John

·
Registered
461 Posts
Bought my filter wrench at a Honda rally (the stamped out kind). Now four Gold Wings later and some 200,000 miles and I still am using the same filter wrench without a problem getting the old filter off. Maybe I am finally doing something right.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
kg5ie said:
After accumulating 700 miles on my new bike, reading numerous posts regarding different oils, filters, filter removal techniques, etc. I decided to put in the new Amsoil I just bought.
Not for nothing, but don't you think that switching to a synthetic oil at only 700 miles is a little too early? I would wait to have at least 2,000 miles on it before doing it.... Just to make sure that everything is seated right.

·
Registered
20,009 Posts
It isn't the gorilla on the assembly line that is the problem. Honda does not follow the traditional 3/4 of a turn after contact. They actually have a torque spec and it is tight. I did it once. Never again.

·
Registered
2016 f6b
508 Posts
I use a big pair of channel locks,no problem. :lol:

·
Registered
4,480 Posts
I would not recommend using a screw driver to remove your oil filter. If it is really tight, the screw driver will tear your oil filter and leave sharp jagged edges. Now it will really be hard to remove.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I wanted to torque it like the book says, so I found a socket type filter wrench that accepts a ratchet. I works well for both on and off.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
dosmoore said:
I wanted to torque it like the book says, so I found a socket type filter wrench that accepts a ratchet. I works well for both on and off.
Same filter base and threads as on the GL1500, yet the book recommends almost three times the installation torque. 20 ft lbs on an oil filter is completely nuts, IMHO. I believe this is the reason for the first removal being so difficult.

Stu

·
Registered
20,009 Posts
Art H. said:
I would not recommend using a screw driver to remove your oil filter. If it is really tight, the screw driver will tear your oil filter and leave sharp jagged edges. Now it will really be hard to remove.
Ah don't be such a poop. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Wrench heads have been taking filters off that way on both cars and bikes as long as their have been filters. it doesn't make jagged edges even if you do tear it up because the metal bends inwards. I don't like doing it on the Wing though because so much oil stays in the filter.

·
Registered
20,009 Posts
dosmoore said:
Where did you find the socket. I bought one from an auto parts store and even though it is the right size, it slips. When I do finally get it to grab, it just jams on the filter and you can't get it off.

The tough part about trying to torque it by the book is that unless you are on a lift, there is no room for the torque wrench. My smallest one is 75 ft/lb max and it is too long. I don't feel like buying a smaller one just to do the oil filter.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I had to do the same on my first filter change. Drove a phillips screwdriver thew it and it worked well. I then got a cup filter remover from Walmart fo $5.00. I have yet to change my crushwasher on two oil changes with no leaks. PS You do not need to remove the bottom cowling to change your oil. Good luck

·
Registered
589 Posts
trainman said:
I purchased a wrench from the Honda dealer for $10, works great. Never had a problem and still using the same crush washer three filters later, I'm living life on the "Wild Side". I'm not to big on all this oil BS, I just buy Honda oil, change it every 3-4 thousand miles. I personally never heard of an engine failure on a Goldwing that was due to oil failure, that is if the oil is change regularly and the correct oil is used.

John
Amen John, our wings do have there little problems, a problem spot here or there but engine failure is not one of them. :beer3:

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
I used the "big pair of chanel locks" too the first time. Then I bought the wrench in the link form "pshivers". Haven't done change #2 yet but soon.
The long channel locks give you plent of leverage.....which is key for too tightness!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts