·
Registered
237 Posts
I've read in these forums that SuperTech from Walmart had been used

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,037 Posts
Not sure I've ever shopped for deals on oil filters.

Spending $3 or $12 every 8K miles isn't going to even register on my budget radar.

For me, tires, brake pads, oil might have enough cost involved to shop and care but not old filters.

I prefer running OEM and I just bought 2 OEM ones for about $22 shipped to my house.

I've bought cheaper ones at Walmart before but it was more about convenience and availability than price.

·
Registered
322 Posts
NAPA has filter sales every once in a while. I run the NAPA 1358 Honda car filter, as it has the same specs as the bike filter, but is less money.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
The SuperTech filters at 'Mart are actually very good filter media and are made by Champion. They also make the filter guts for many others, such as Bosch. $2.77 last time I bought a few for the ST1300 (which are the same for the Wing).

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
Hi-Flo......former K&N manufacturer, now producing filters under their own brand. $8-10 depending on application.

·
Registered
985 Posts
I disassembled some filters last year. Here is a picture of a FRAM, Super Tech and Honda filters that fit our Gold Wings.

After that disassembly, I will use Honda filters every time I change oil.

(Edit: I made an error. That Fram Filter pictured does not fit a Gold Wing. It is one that I had on the shelf for my GMC. I dismantled it after I had decided not to use Fram anymore. The Fram I had removed from my GL1500 earlier that week and dismantled, told me a story I needed to verify. Fram filters for any vehicle is of very poor quality. Sorry if it looks as though I was trying to mislead anyone.)

Attachments

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Have you ever dissected a used oil filter from a Wing? I have not, but have taken several automotive and others apart looking to see what gets "filtered" out and most all (if anything) is either smaller than can be seen with a good magnifying glass or nothing visible. Never had the filter media clogged. Everyone makes way too much out of filter brands. Unless your engine is grinding itself to pieces or full of sludge there won't be much of anything found in used filters regardless of brand or amount of filter folds/material. The micron passage size of the filter media is probably much more critical than the amount of material (lots of filter media allowing large particles to pass isn't helping-much like a course K&N air filter).
Buy what makes you feel good, (more $$ isn't always better, but it's a pretty small cost over the 8k mile change interval). Almost anything will do the job sufficiently.
https://motorcycleinfo.calsci.com/FilterXRef.html

·
Registered
277 Posts
I disassembled some filters last year. Here is a picture of a FRAM, Super Tech and Honda filters that fit our Gold Wings.

OEM Honda Filter for the win, look at the the pleats and all around quality of the filter.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
'bout 9 bucks...

Been usin' 'em since back when they looked like this...

Jus' scored 3 of these from cycledude, got one on the bike right now.
Thanks again Brother:thumbup:

·
Registered
3,353 Posts
I've cut open more than a few oil filters in my time. From name brands there are none that are what I'd call "bad". That said, the Honda OEM Filter is actually rather impressive, both in the materials and the quality of its construction. If purchased in quantities of 5 to 6 or more, the retail price can be brought under $10 per filter. A reasonable cost for a quality part IMHO.

Reactions: William Anzik

·
Registered
3,353 Posts
If anyone would like to satisfy their curiosity; tools are made specifically to cut open spin-on Oil Filters.

Google the phrase "Oil Filter Cutting Tool" and many suppliers of the tool shown here can be found.

Attachments

Reactions: Bopropucope

·
Registered
757 Posts

That Fram filter is not a motorcycle specific filter.....It's a car filter.

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
I just bought a box of ten OEM filters for $5.99, total, and included free shipping! I found them at a web site named WISH.

·
Registered
985 Posts
That is correct. The Fram filter in the picture was not one I had on the shelf for a Gold Wing. I misspoke.

I think it was a surplus filter I had and decided not to use on my GMC truck.
Prior to these pictures being taken, I had cut open several used filters. It was quite a mess. One of the filters was a Fram from my GL1500. The construction was the same and it was not in good condition but it was still intact. That was when I pretty much just disposed of it and decided not use the Fram that was on the shelf.
I disassembled filters that I had on hand and not used and this is what they looked like.

This disassembly and inspection told me that Honda filters were, in my mind, superior and that is what I would use going forward in my Gold Wings and would discontinue using Fram altogether on anything else.

I apologize if I misled anyone, it was not intentional.

·
Registered
985 Posts
1 - 20 of 32 Posts