GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been having a heated discussion with my buddies about whether or not standard oil filters fillter 100% of the oil or bypass most of the oil and filter only part. Short of calling one of the manufactures and asking the question, from everything I've read, standard oil filters filter 100% of the oil unless they become plugged then a valve opens and they then bypass the oil to save the engine.

So do oil filters filter 100% of the oil or bypass some? Any references?

John

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks,

Nice reference, and I sent off an email to see if I could get an answer to my question. I could not find the answer in the article.

John

·
Registered
4,214 Posts
John Flovin said:
... from everything I've read, standard oil filters filter 100% of the oil unless they become plugged then a valve opens and they then bypass the oil to save the engine.
When the filter becomes restricted enough, there in an internal valve in the filter that allows oil to bypass the filter and continue on to the engine. If you use a good quality high detergent oil and change the filter according to manufacturer's recommendation this will never happen.

To add to the confusion, there is another bypass valve inside the engine to regulate the maximum oil pressure from the pump. If the oil pressure tries to go above about 60 psi, this valve will release some of the oil back into the crankcase to keep the pressure from rising any higher.

·
Registered
109 Posts
oil filter

For 100% oil filtration you'd need a secondary filter like Filtration Solutions makes - www.FS2500.com. This type filter is not effected
by high pressure or sudden acceleration like the standard filters are but can only filter the oil going through it.
This unit is too big for a scooter, ok for my diesel. Even when a bypass filter like the FS2500 { not installed inline with the OEM }you may not be filtering all the oil through the low micron filter and an absolute filter can not be used by itself since when it clogs up engine damge will occur.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts