GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All, I just purchased an 08 Level 3 GL1800 (will pick-up in a week or so:excited:) and in anticipation of the 600 mile oil change....has someone made a cross-reference of oil filters, other than the OEM filter, that the GL1800 can use? and I assume that using a full synthetic oil w/o friction modifiers is OK to use?
TIA

H

·
0 Posts
Napa crossed the filter for me. I use Napa Gold filters on everything, and 5-30 Napa synthetic in everything. It seems there is alot of debate about oil and such on this board. Seems silly to me, keep it changed keep it clean, really doesn't matter what you use.

On a side note, I was told by the dealer, I said the DEALER, that I could not use straight synthetic oil or it would ruin the clutch pack. Just an attempt to sell their products. I have zero respect for my local dealer.

·
Registered
10,847 Posts
Napa crossed the filter for me. I use Napa Gold filters on everything, and 5-30 Napa synthetic in everything. It seems there is alot of debate about oil and such on this board. Seems silly to me, keep it changed keep it clean, really doesn't matter what you use.

On a side note, I was told by the dealer, I said the DEALER, that I could not use straight synthetic oil or it would ruin the clutch pack. Just an attempt to sell their products. I have zero respect for my local dealer.
Your "dealer" undoubtedly meant to say oil marked as 'energy conserving."

W

·
0 Posts
BTW, there is no 600 mile service on an '08. It certainly doesn't hurt to do an oil change during the break-in period but Honda does not consider it necessary.

·
Banned
625 Posts

·
Registered
747 Posts
Someone on this board posted a survey of oil filters and it turned out that Fram was terrible and the OEM filter was highly rated. I'm sticking with the OEM filter, besides they work, very inexpensive when purchased in bulk from HDL and fit just about any Honda recently built.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Filter and Oil

Need to find a source for the OEM filters and Honda oil for the GL1800. The local Honda dealer bellied up after only being in a brand new building for a few months.

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
If i had a new one, I would go about a thousand miles and then take it back to the dealer. It will cost between 2 and 3 hundred dollars, but they do more than change the oil. If something wasn't set up right at the factory they will find it. It also gives you time to check everything out and make a list of things you want them to check. If i were you i would have them change out the rear gear oil at the 1000 mile check then do it every other oil change. I just changed my oil myself for the first time using amsoil and the oem filter, and it was a snap. No torque wrenches needed. My next step is to change out the rear end with amsoil also. Tim i went by Power sports on I.H. 35 and forget they were closed yesterday. Seems like the rear end will be easy also. my 2 cents.

·
Registered
522 Posts
First Service Between 2 & 3 Hundered $.

I had my first service done by the dealer at 3,000 miles. $46.00 was worth it.

·
Registered
10,847 Posts
Someone on this board posted a survey of oil filters and it turned out that Fram was terrible and the OEM filter was highly rated. I'm sticking with the OEM filter, besides they work, very inexpensive when purchased in bulk from HDL and fit just about any Honda recently built.
I wonder who supplies the Honda branded filters to the U S aftermarket? I seriously doubt that they ship them from Japan.

W

·
0 Posts
I wonder who supplies the Honda branded filters to the U S aftermarket? I seriously doubt that they ship them from Japan.
I don't know for sure because it's been many years since I worked for Honda but it is entirely possible that they are shipped from Japan. In the quantities they would be shipping, the cost of sending them by the pallet load on a ship would be mere pennies per filter. In fact, the warehouse space for storing them here probably costs more than the shipping.

·
Banned
625 Posts
I've heard Fram makes the OEM Honda car oil filters, so maybe the OEM motorcycle oil filters? Last I heard and read, Apollo America made the Honda motorcycle oils.

·
Registered
10,847 Posts
I don't know for sure because it's been many years since I worked for Honda but it is entirely possible that they are shipped from Japan. In the quantities they would be shipping, the cost of sending them by the pallet load on a ship would be mere pennies per filter. In fact, the warehouse space for storing them here probably costs more than the shipping.
I once owned a Honda Pacific Coast (good little bike!) At that time, the filter being sold in Honda Stores was identical to one of the U S brands. My recollection was that it was a Champion. Same with a Mazda car. The filter sold in Mazda stores was made in USA. I would imagine that some are shipped in and some procured locally. Many manufacturers like to keep more than one supplier on line in case of strikes, etc. Of the filters made in Japan, I also would expect that they are built by a company other than Honda.

·
Registered
10,847 Posts
here is one filter, likely the best, the Amsoil EaOM 103: http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/eaom.aspx?zo=1181889 . Always best to follow the owners manual for oil, including the JASO MA listed.
Without specifically addressing the claims contained therein, I would not consider sales literature to be the most reliable source of comparative information regarding product quality. You aren't perchance an Amsoil dealer, are you? ;)

W

·
0 Posts
They don't call them "dealers", they call them "evangelists" because they have to be true believers more than just sales people. :lol:

"Faith is believing is something even though common sense tells you not to"
Miracle on 34th Street

·
Registered
10,847 Posts
They don't call them "dealers", they call them "evangelists" because they have to be true believers more than just sales people. :lol:

"Faith is believing is something even though common sense tells you not to"
Miracle on 34th Street
I see. Thanks.

From what little I have read, Amsoil is kinda, sorta a pyramid marketing scheme though I have also read/heard that the products aren't bad though may not be worth the premium price. Oil blending is a relatively simple process, once the equipment is in place.

My wife and I have frequent 'discussions' about the relative value of private label vs. national brands of lots of products. There are just so many producers of canned peas and white vinegar...

1 - 20 of 45 Posts