GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know of an aftermarket filter for the 1800?

I would like to change my own oil whenever I want and not worry about going to the dealer for a filter.

What brand and part number do you all use?

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

Fred

·
Registered
237 Posts
filter

I would'nt trust my bike (2002 IB) with any other filter than a Honda filter. Buy in bulk from Hal and you will save $$$$ over buying them one at a time from a dealer. JMHO!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
I just order a few from Hal whenever I put in an order for something else. Then I always have a few spares in the garage.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I am using the Purolator PureOne PL14610 filter or PL14612 filter will work great. I like the PL14610 because it’s 3-1/2” long (more oil and cooling area) compared to the PL14612 which is 2-1/2”, the same as the Honda filter.

I did a lot of research on what types of filters were out there that would be suitable in this motorcycle (Honda, Bosch, Napa, Fram, etc) that would be readily available and the pass filter ratio of the cleaning of the oil over time. In my opinion, this Purolator filter (and multiple testing services) consistently rated this filter as one of the best you could by.

·
Young Buck
2,551 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Free oil filters..

I've went to enough of Hal's functions that I haven't bought an oil filter yet. :lol: Hal keeps giving them away. Thanks Hal for all you do for us.
:yw1:

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok, you convinced me.
I orderd a few from Hal.

The only problem was $250 worth of chrome got added to the order :D

Man, I hate it when that happens :p

Thanks everybody

·
Registered
9,099 Posts
oil filters

I just looked at the Amoil filter list. They list the same filter for both the GL 1500 and the GL 1800 - a 103.

Go to Hals site, and they have a seperate part number for each bike,
both in Honda OEM and K&N lines.

Makes me wonder what the dif is, and as I don't know, guess I'll keep
going the OEM. I don't figure they changed part numbers just to increase
shelf space.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I'll probably catch HECK about this from some of the wingers, but here goes..... I paid close to $19,000 (including accessories) for my '02 1800 and I wouldn't knowingly do anything to harm it....... But Honda is soooooooo excessive in price on everything they sell. One day I passed by the Auto Zone in my hometown and thought, what the heck, I'm gonna see if they carry any motorcycle filters...... The assistant mgr., who's been there the whole 10 years that the store has been open said, "yeah, we have 1800 wing filters. The price was $3.99....... I opened the box and looked at it and remarked, "This looks exactly like the Honda filter, color and all. He said, "That's because it's made by the same company that makes the wing filters for Honda, it's the same one"..... The mgr. said that he could show me his paperwork and I could try to find out from Honda who makes there's, if they'd tell me..... (which they probably wouldn't)..... I've been using it for several oil changes and as far as I know, it's fine..... $12, even $6, is too much for a "Honda" filter.
Some guys badmouth FRAM filters in articles..... I've been using them for 35 years. My '68 Firebird 400, 335HP, thought FRAM was great. Just my opinion..... Stobby

·
Registered
22 Posts
pep boys and discount auto parts have oil filters for the 1800.

they have the numbers in the counter books. plus they have mobile one red cap, a great combo. i do love my bike. i rode it to work this morning in 30% weather,had a great ride

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
IR Harry, the only difference between the 1500 and 1800 filters is one is slightly longer. I think the long one is the 1500 filter. But they are both OK to use on the 1800.

·
Registered
21,091 Posts
http://www.1800goldwing.com/page2.htm

the link will take you to a website that lists many oil filters and thier part numbers for the gl1800, also walmart sells a housebrand filter (named something like supertech) for $2-3 which is made for Honda cars and will also work on the gl1800

1 - 19 of 19 Posts