GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I got the Amzoil and filter so changing should be a slam dunk.
Well Yes and No
Warmed up the engine while I removed the front cowl, shut her down and pulled the drain, so far so good.
Now the filter - well I have a wrench but needed to make it a little smaller so it would grip that tiny little filter. OK ready - grunt *&%[email protected]#
Crushed the filter trying to get it loose - I guess these things must fall off all the time that's why it was screwed on by gorillas.
After trying several new approaches and creative words I resorted to the old stand by - pulled out the chisel and hammer - gently tapped the filler loose by catching the edge right next to the engine housing and "walking" it around - boy that sure was easy.
I made sure the new filter was only "hand tight" and not torqued to 700 ft lbs.

Boy what a difference that new Amzoil has made, the bikes stays parked much better than it did with standard oil and it is more shiftless than ever (just like it's owner) :wink:

·
Young Buck
2,551 Posts
Removal of the front cowl isn't necessary. I learned the hard way too. :(

Get one of these:

or one of these:

and you won't have to remove the front cowl to remove the oil filter. Much easier and less time consuming to be able to leave the cowl on.

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
I tried your first picture, the wrench ? That dam filter was on so hard ?
I had to drive two screwdrivers to make it tight enough to turn off. Geesh !I now use the cup, much better !
I agree with Storm.......what animal puts these filters on ? :mad1:

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
OK ready - grunt *&%[email protected]#
OUCH!! My virgin ears! I put mine hand tight, but still have to use a large set of channel-lock pliers to get it off. It's the little gremlins that sneak around your garage at night that tighten those filters. :lol:

I

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Bingo Don!

I learned the hard way and removed that miserable front center cowling (per manual) to change my oil and filter the first time I did it. Then I discovered that my small series all metal "strap wrench" will snake up in there and break it loose without pulling the cowling. A fabric type strap wrench will probably work as well. No more pulling that %#&&*%%# cowling to change the filter.

However, it does sound like "storm" had a really tight one, and maybe the strap wrenches would have failed to bust it loose.

Don't know about the 2 wrenches mrgl02 shows. The flat spanner looks reasonable, but I can't picture getting the over the end "cup socket" in there and a ratchet in there to turn it. Guess I will take his word for it.

Whatever works. :chat:

·
Registered
325 Posts
:shock: You mean to tell me Ive been taking off the dad gum cowl for nuttin????????????? :shock:

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
BrianSC said:
:shock: You mean to tell me Ive been taking off the dad gum cowl for nuttin????????????? :shock:

Yep!

·
Registered
75 Posts
sjvanepps said:
Bingo Don!

...The flat spanner looks reasonable, but I can't picture getting the over the end "cup socket" in there and a ratchet in there to turn it... :chat:
FYI
A cup socket does works fine without taking off the cowl.

I

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Laserman said:
sjvanepps said:
Bingo Don!

...The flat spanner looks reasonable, but I can't picture getting the over the end "cup socket" in there and a ratchet in there to turn it... :chat:
FYI
A cup socket does works fine without taking off the cowl.
COOL! :yes:

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Mike L said:
I agree with Storm.......what animal puts these filters on ? :mad1:
Mike,
I've been known to slam mechanics for doing ignorant things, but I'll have to give 'em a pass on this one. The service manual instructs 'em to tighten that filter to something like 20 ft lbs - that's ridiculous.
Stu O

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Now how are you guys attaching the torque wrench to those strap wrenches and giant box end wrenches...Hm? You are using a torque wrench as directed, aren't you...Hm?

·
Registered
451 Posts
Only use bare hands on and off all the time, no cowl removal, works good, last a long time.

·
Registered
5,243 Posts
I use a metal strap wrench that is slightly too large for the Gl1800 filter... being an automotive guy I used a piece of scrap radiator hose from a car to take up the gap between wrench and filter . It also provides a good grip on the filter.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Tony in AZ said:
I use a metal strap wrench that is slightly too large for the Gl1800 filter... being an automotive guy I used a piece of scrap radiator hose from a car to take up the gap between wrench and filter . It also provides a good grip on the filter.
I used a peice of an old inner tube to make a gripper for my wrench.

Storm said:
I guess these things must fall off all the time that's why it was screwed on by gorillas.

Please don't blame the gorillas. They do the best that they can. I think there are a few mechanics out there that use locktight on oil filters. :D

·
Registered
824 Posts
The flat one that Mrgl02 shows is excellent. I started using it on my '94 wing after having to punch a hole thru the filter with a screwdriver to get it loose. Never a problem getting one off and I must be one of those gorrillas, as I use it to snug the filter up when installing it.

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
It is the same thing as the Gorillas that
overtighten lug nuts on car tires. I broke
off a nut once on a car of my mothers trying
to loosen it :evil:

·
Registered
84 Posts
A few bucks for a plastic cup wrench with a 3/8's inch drive at WalMart works great. No need to remove the cowling and still plenty of room.

Richard

·
Registered
759 Posts
ya mean I aint supposed to pull the front tire to remove the earl filter?????...........dang.................... :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
37 Posts
First Oil Change

My craftsman strap wrench was too big, I had the cowling off as well. I did what my dad taught me to do, poke the scredriver through the filter and turn, makes a mess but I got it done.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts