Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got 3 streetrods, i change the oil in them once a year, usually with under
2k miles on each of them. I'm thinking the oil i'm taking out is probably still good even tho it is one year old. time does not ruin the oil does it?

·
Registered
425 Posts
Oil doesn't really go 'bad'. It just gets dirty. On Navy ships , we purified and reused oil in the pumps and machinery for years. We had to replenish the oil tanks because of losses due to sampling and leaks. We tested the machinery daily to watch for water and dirty oil. When it got dirty we sent the oil to the purifier and then put it back.

·
Notorious Rocket Scientist
5,533 Posts
Greetings!

Time doesn't kill oil nearly as fast as moisture does. If the cars are kept in a humidity-controlled environment, such as an air conditioned garage, the oil is probably still good. But if not I wouldn't reuse it.

·
Love The DCT
12,108 Posts
Oil doesn't really go 'bad'. It just gets dirty. On Navy ships , we purified and reused oil in the pumps and machinery for years. We had to replenish the oil tanks because of losses due to sampling and leaks. We tested the machinery daily to watch for water and dirty oil. When it got dirty we sent the oil to the purifier and then put it back.
That is true, but you are not dealing with the products of combustion in steam driven main engines and turbine generators. :doorag:

·
Registered
7,706 Posts
oil in and of itself does not go bad in a sealed environment. Problem with our cars and bikes is they are not sealed (duh - I know, rather obvious).

The oil gets contaminated as noted earlier from combustion byproducts caused by ring blow-by, water intrusion from either condensation or the aforementioned combustion byproducts, and oxidation from both the above mentioned and exposure to good old air.

Oil that is a year old is okay, but with a couple of caveats. Stop and go, short trip driving is hard on the engine and the oil, and doesn't allow the oil to get warm enough to properly drive out any accumulated moisture. Oil in that condition becomes acidic, and will attack engine components and not lubricate properly. Second caveat is oil is cheap compared to possible engine damage. But if you really want the final answer, for the cost of an oil change you can send a sample in for a used oil analysis.

That will definitely tell you how the oil is doing, and you won't have to rely on us arm-chair quaterback's opinions.

·
Registered
633 Posts
That is true, but you are not dealing with the products of combustion in steam driven main engines and turbine generators. :doorag:
yeah, cuz that marine environment of salty water, demand op-schedule and DFS's is just oh so nice!
the ICE you have between your legs isn't anything as demanding as the Gear-sets on Uncle Sam's Yatch's.
nor is the inspection schedule/demands come anywhere close to the requirements dictated by the "owners" of those gear-sets when compared to your rides or bikes.

indeed, the lack of a "SICLOS" procedures for the Wings or other rides is also indicative of the requirements.
Your Wings Specs can work well without any of that equipage/standards and thankfully your wallet wont suffer either.

look oil doesn't wear out. its been in the ground longer than any of you here so keep using it till the last dino gives up the ghost.

·
Registered
2016 f6b
508 Posts
I've got 3 streetrods, i change the oil in them once a year, usually with under
2k miles on each of them. I'm thinking the oil i'm taking out is probably still good even tho it is one year old. time does not ruin the oil does it?
Ok this is just my 2 cents,like someone mention get a oil sample.I would run it for alittle while first.The reason I say that is if you have any moisture in the oil that the additive package didn't take care of it should show up as acidic and second if u have any water starting to leak in from anywhere else(headgaskets,etc)it will let you know.The samples will also tell if your air filter is working good.In short it will help you maintain your fine hotrods better and let you know the condition of the oil.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.