GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Could use folks help on why I have oil in my air cleaner housin and how to correct it.
  • 2012 Honda Goldwing
  • 20,500 miles
  • I am the 3rd owner and unfortunately don’t know the maintenance history
  • Changed air filter (cleaner) today (not sure of air filter maintenance history) - see image
  • Found oil in air cleaner housing - see image

E13400F4-B8B5-4C25-A028-A32F5197A05D.jpeg

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
I have not experienced this on my GL, but I did on my previous bikes, Yamahas, it was caused from over filling the crank case with oil, there is a positive crank case ventilation system that uses engine vacuum to siphon off oil fumes from the crank case up to the intake. Once the fumes are sucked into the intake they go through the intake and are burned with the fuel air mixture and out the exhaust pipes. Sometimes if the crankcase is over filled you get more fumes into the intake area than the intakes can consume, so the vapors condense back into a liquid and are deposited in the air box as liquid oil. I am making an assumption ( I know dangerous) that the GLs have a similar system.

Best advice I can give is to clean out the wet residue and be careful not to over fill the crank case and monitor at next air filter change to see if the issue still is present.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts