GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
5,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know that I changed my oil and filter before putting her away for the winter season.........3.8 quarts [If you read my posts then you know that I am truly an oil/filter changeohlic
Yesterday I went to check the oil with cold engine and not a drop of oil is showing up on my dip stick , so I started her and let it run for approx 5-7 minutes... shut it down an waited approx another 10 minutes to allow all oil to drain back down into the bottom of the engine..Still I could not get the oil to show on my dip stick..ZERO SHOWING!
So I cleaned up my oil pan and opened up the 17MM oil bolt... YEP out flowed all my 3.8 Quarts of oil..... So I poured it back into the engine... I know it's clean oil, BUT I even showed it to my wife that does have much better eyes then I, and she herself could not see the oil level on my D/Stick... What am I doing wrong, when D/stick does not show a level no matter what I did...

Like I mentioned above, I change oil/filter constantly, never have I even, ever, came close to waiting for the 8,000 mile change like the book recommends..

Bike is a trike , and on a level garage floor for the past six months (winter season)
2010 R/Smith trike w/approx 50,000 miles....

IMG_0055.JPG

Ronnie

·
Registered
4,823 Posts
Normal.
1. There is no reason to check the oil level on a Goldwing with 50,000 miles. I know, OCD, I have it too but I got over it with the Goldwing and checking oil..
2. The change volume with filter change is 3.9 quarts and most of us put in 4.0 quarts.
3. I can usually get nothing or a tiny amount on the dipstick when cold.
4. Checking oil with the dipstick on an 1800 is notoriously tricky. The oil must be hot, the drainback must be complete, and the bike level and, even then sometimes it doesn't work.
Anyway when you change the oil and filter, about a quart of old oil is left behind.
Someone should make and sell an extended dipstick. Maybe make the handle blue. :)

·
Vendor
16,381 Posts
I know that I changed my oil and filter before putting her away for the winter season.........3.8 quarts [If you read my posts then you know that I am truly an oil/filter changeohlic
Yesterday I went to check the oil with cold engine and not a drop of oil is showing up on my dip stick , so I started her and let it run for approx 5-7 minutes... shut it down an waited approx another 10 minutes to allow all oil to drain back down into the bottom of the engine..Still I could not get the oil to show on my dip stick..ZERO SHOWING!
So I cleaned up my oil pan and opened up the 17MM oil bolt... YEP out flowed all my 3.8 Quarts of oil..... So I poured it back into the engine... I know it's clean oil, BUT I even showed it to my wife that does have much better eyes then I, and she herself could not see the oil level on my D/Stick... What am I doing wrong, when D/stick does not show a level no matter what I did...

Like I mentioned above, I change oil/filter constantly, never have I even, ever, came close to waiting for the 8,000 mile change like the book recommends..

Bike is a trike , and on a level garage floor for the past six months (winter season)
2010 R/Smith trike w/approx 50,000 miles....

View attachment 367287

Ronnie
Is this a trike ??? If so, the oil level has to be checked differently then a 2-whl.

·
Registered
5,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Greg,and 05
As you know by now I am an changeohlic [I change my oil very, frequently] ...Every time I go on a long trip {it get changed} many times before 2000 miles is on the OD
So how do I check it then??
Yes it's a trike, 2010 Roadsmith............

I know it's a waste of oil but that's me...

Ronnie

·
Vendor
16,381 Posts
Because yours is a trike, and when yours is sitting on its 3 tires, that usually means that your engine now sits at a different angle then if it were a 2-whl sitting on its center stand with an OEM front tire.

Here is how I check oil level in my shop on a trike. First off, I have one of the 12" yellow levels that I got from Home Depot. I put the level on top of the right valve cover and jack the trike accordingly (front or rear) matching where the bobble would sit if it were a 2-whl'd on my shop floor.

·
Registered
16,631 Posts
Yep, the arse end of that trike looks to be up higher than than bike on center stand. Also, IIRC the correct fill is 3.9 quarts and I see no reason not to pour in that last 3.2oz from a gallon jug.

prs

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Yep, the arse end of that trike looks to be up higher than than bike on center stand. Also, IIRC the correct fill is 3.9oz and I see no reason not to pour in that last 3.2oz.

prs
There's only one person on this board that does....

·
Registered
700 Posts
Yep, the arse end of that trike looks to be up higher than than bike on center stand. Also, IIRC the correct fill is 3.9oz and I see no reason not to pour in that last 3.2oz.

prs
3.9oz and 3.2oz?

·
Registered
2,693 Posts
3.9 qt or 3.2 oz "you say tomato I say tomato what's the difference?":)

·
Registered
5,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Because yours is a trike, and when yours is sitting on its 3 tires, that usually means that your engine now sits at a different angle then if it were a 2-whl sitting on its center stand with an OEM front tire.

Here is how I check oil level in my shop on a trike. First off, I have one of the 12" yellow levels that I got from Home Depot. I put the level on top of the right valve cover and jack the trike accordingly (front or rear) matching where the bobble would sit if it were a 2-whl'd on my shop floor.
Ok ! Thanks, Going to give that a try this morning, (I do have a level hanging on my garage wall) Weather/temp is supposed to be nice today so I'm taking her out for a ride this afternoon...[finely]

Ronnie

·
Registered
16,631 Posts
3.9oz and 3.2oz?
Good catch. I went back and replaced that first "oz" with quart. I hope no one would be confused and just refill with 3.9 ounces of motor oil, but'cha never know for sure.

prs

·
Registered
16,631 Posts
3.9 qt or 3.2 oz "you say tomato I say tomato what's the difference?":)
124.8 ounces. ;-)

Ah sez 'mater.

Mah ol' Harley said, " 'tater, 'tater, 'tater".

lol

prs

·
Registered
879 Posts
3.7 liters with oil/filter change, after all it is a metric bike.

·
Registered
16,631 Posts
Yes, but here in the States we buy oil in quarts, gallons, 5 gallon buckets, and such. Resistance may well be futile, but resist we do.

prs

·
Registered
5,833 Posts
Ok ! Thanks, Going to give that a try this morning, (I do have a level hanging on my garage wall) Weather/temp is supposed to be nice today so I'm taking her out for a ride this afternoon...[finely]

Ronnie
Hey Ronnie, note that he did not say to level the bike...he said to match the bubble to what it is on a two wheeled Wing on the centerstand. Do you know the level bubble position on a two wheeled Wing on the centerstand or have access to one to compare?

·
Registered
4,823 Posts
I have a trike, a CSC Cobra. The frontend is slightly lower than a two-wheeled wing, possibly due to the 6 degree rake kit. But I am able to check my oil with the dipstick. Like I wrote above, I use 4 quarts, standard size filter (not extended) trike must be on a level surface, oil hot and drainback complete.
I recently changed oil and just checked it stone cold. Oil is at the lower mark, ie only about 1/8" is showing on the stick. When it is hot, it is at or a tiny distance above the top mark.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Hey Ronnie, note that he did not say to level the bike...he said to match the bubble to what it is on a two wheeled Wing on the centerstand. Do you know the level bubble position on a two wheeled Wing on the centerstand or have access to one to compare?

That's a good point. You'd still be guessing until you know what a 2 wheel engine on a center stand registers on a level.

·
Vendor
16,381 Posts
I have a trike, a CSC Cobra. The frontend is slightly lower than a two-wheeled wing, possibly due to the 6 degree rake kit. But I am able to check my oil with the dipstick. Like I wrote above, I use 4 quarts, standard size filter (not extended) trike must be on a level surface, oil hot and drainback complete.
I recently changed oil and just checked it stone cold. Oil is at the lower mark, ie only about 1/8" is showing on the stick. When it is hot, it is at or a tiny distance above the top mark.
If the Wing you are referring to is the one in your avatar, yes, your Wing sits very low in the front. If you've been checking the oil as it sits, and keeping the level full, then your engine is over filled. If filled correctly, and if you drain it like it sits, then you're draining more than the 4qts that should drain out.

If your Wing has a 6 deg rake kit, yes, it is sitting low. Because of the distance between the front fender and the lower cowl, it appears your springs are not supporting front weight well.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Yes, but here in the States we buy oil in quarts, gallons, 5 gallon buckets, and such. Resistance may well be futile, but resist we do.
There's two kinds of countries in the world.

Those that use the metric system, and those that have put a man on the moon. :sneaky::ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
7,602 Posts
Never have been anal. Oil change with full syn every 10K (easy to remember). Drain. replace filter, insert plug, pour a gallon. Cap it & ride. Never measured but I'm willing to bet at least 1 OZ sticks to the gallon container and if you use four qts, almost 3 OZ sticks to 4 containers.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts