GL1800Riders Forums banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

Registered
I almost never check the oil level between oil changes but when I do, I compare it to the standard.

My standard is: Use the measurement from the last oil change.

Drain the oil and replace the oil filter and drain bolt washer.
Fill the engine with one gallon oil.
Install dipstick.
Start engine and watch oil light extinguish.
Let idle for a minute while I check for leaks.
Shut it down and let the bike set for five minutes while I clean up the mess I made changing oil.
Check oil level and make a note of where the oil level is (half way between the upper and lower mark on the stick).
This is the standard for when I check it again before the next oil change.

Registered
That's a good point. You'd still be guessing until you know what a 2 wheel engine on a center stand registers on a level.

Ronnie - I can put a level on the engine of my wing on center stand , take a picture and text it to you if that helps.

Vendor
I almost never check the oil level between oil changes but when I do, I compare it to the standard.

My standard is: Use the measurement from the last oil change.

Drain the oil and replace the oil filter and drain bolt washer.
Fill the engine with one gallon oil.
Install dipstick.
Start engine and watch oil light extinguish.
Let idle for a minute while I check for leaks.
Shut it down and let the bike set for five minutes while I clean up the mess I made changing oil.
Check oil level and make a note of where the oil level is (half way between the upper and lower mark on the stick).
This is the standard for when I check it again before the next oil change.
Have you considered following the instructions in the Owner's Manual ??? You might be surprised how it is suppose to be done. I highly recommend following Honda's instructions.

Vendor
Ronnie - I can put a level on the engine of my wing on center stand , take a picture and text it to you if that helps.
If you follow my post above about this, hopefully you can extrapolate that every floor is different. My shop is in a strip mall with all floors being a little different. I've expanded and the floor next door is slightly different so my bobble on that floor is different.

Registered
Have you considered following the instructions in the Owner's Manual ??? You might be surprised how it is suppose to be done. I highly recommend following Honda's instructions.
Surprised? No, not at all. I know what it says. This was not a tutorial, Greg. It is only how I do it.
Idling the bike for 3 to 5 minutes and letting it sit for 2 to 3 minutes is what it says in the Owner's Manual. There are times when I exceed those time lines and there are times I don't. It is just how I do it.

Registered
Discussion Starter #28
Thanks Larry (y)

Registered
Discussion Starter #29
Now I have changed oil/filter on all my bikes for over 53 years years, (lost count on how many bikes I have owned, since my first Honda 50cc that my parents bought me when I was 15 ys old).. BUT this is the first bike that I can never get a single drop ever to show on my dip stick....and I change oil & filter every 2,000 (or many times less) miles...[yea, yea, I know , i'm a changeHOLIC NOW that it's now a trike, instead of two wheels, I didn't think that the angle would be different (I never took that into a consideration)....Thanks Gregg I will try the level trick as you mentioned, and thank you Larry for sending for sending me the picture...

Ronnie

Registered
If the Wing you are referring to is the one in your avatar, yes, your Wing sits very low in the front. If you've been checking the oil as it sits, and keeping the level full, then your engine is over filled. If filled correctly, and if you drain it like it sits, then you're draining more than the 4qts that should drain out.

If your Wing has a 6 deg rake kit, yes, it is sitting low. Because of the distance between the front fender and the lower cowl, it appears your springs are not supporting front weight well.
My Avatar is of my wing when it was stock, two-wheeled, not a trike. The front end is not low in the picture. Yes, my engine is overfilled. Like I said, I put in 4 quarts so it is 3.2 oz. overfilled; 2.5%.

Registered
The inconsistent oil reading on the dipstick is one of my few peeves with the GL1800. No excuse for a dipstick that simply doesn't work. I have spent lots of time trying to figure it out; measured drained oil and compared with indicated level on the dipstick; checked it repeatedly, per instructions in the Owner's Manual; tried reading it after threaded in, etc.. It is the inconsistency that gripes me, just no rhyme or reason. No excuse for Honda to be o goofy. Best oil level indicator I've seen is a sight glass used on 1980s-90s BMW K models. Honda could do something similar, instead of the goofy, useless dipstick. Just my opinion.

Registered
The inconsistent oil reading on the dipstick is one of my few peeves with the GL1800. No excuse for a dipstick that simply doesn't work. I have spent lots of time trying to figure it out; measured drained oil and compared with indicated level on the dipstick; checked it repeatedly, per instructions in the Owner's Manual; tried reading it after threaded in, etc.. It is the inconsistency that gripes me, just no rhyme or reason. No excuse for Honda to be o goofy. Best oil level indicator I've seen is a sight glass used on 1980s-90s BMW K models. Honda could do something similar, instead of the goofy, useless dipstick. Just my opinion.
They put a sightglass on the ST 1300.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Registered
Don't some oil filters have an anti-drainback valve? Could that have a bearing on this issue?

Premium Member
I always thought having the sight glass on my 2007 ST1300 was a bit of a pain but after changing and checking the oil in my 2015 wing several times, I agree the sight glass is much better.

Just changed the oil in my Wing and have measured the oil in the engine using the dipstick and the suggestions here and there is not way to get a consistent reading. I mean, to check the oil in my Wing I should be able to walk out to the bike in the garage (sitting overnight), pull the cover, check the oil. Nope, you have to run it for X minutes, let it sit for X minutes to get a reliable result. Seems very strange. And yes all checks are done on the center stand for the wing and the ST.

Registered
I always thought having the sight glass on my 2007 ST1300 was a bit of a pain but after changing and checking the oil in my 2015 wing several times, I agree the sight glass is much better.

Just changed the oil in my Wing and have measured the oil in the engine using the dipstick and the suggestions here and there is not way to get a consistent reading. I mean, to check the oil in my Wing I should be able to walk out to the bike in the garage (sitting overnight), pull the cover, check the oil. Nope, you have to run it for X minutes, let it sit for X minutes to get a reliable result. Seems very strange. And yes all checks are done on the center stand for the wing and the ST.
I'd be OK with the Owners Manual instructions if they yielded consistent, "reliable results", but it ain't so. I get maybe one in five readings with oil level on the full mark, with the rest either not showing at all or barely showing on the dipstick. I have thought maybe I was somehow inserting the dipstick in the wrong area inside the hole, and tried wagging it around in the hole, all to no avail. As mentioned, it is the inconsistency that is the problem, and there seems no rhyme or reason for it. Further, if a carpenter's level is needed to insure the bike is level, there should be one in the tool kit. But being off level IS NOT the problem, Honda just needs to fix it, period. Or change the instructions in the Owners Manual to something like, "don't worry about it, Gold Wings do not burn any oil", which is also a fallacy.

Registered
I never really have a problem, just check it on the dipstick once in a while, and if oil isn't on it add the few oz to get it on there. Doesn't matter $0.02 whether I start and run or just check after sitting all night. Always minimal, and never have I gone back later and found too much indicated on the dipstick. Even those with the oil check window complain. On the Super Tenere gobs of complaints of the window giving inconsistant readings. I just fill to full on the window on it and never have a problem there either.

Registered
@Captron

Here is one that might blow your changeaholic OCD mind a bit...

If Honda had made a trike, and knew the engine would go down the road at a slightly different angle with the front end lower; would they have changed the oil capacity to 4.1 quarts and / or made a longer dip stick?

You are being OCD to follow the capacity in the manual perfectly, but you have changed the use of the engine in a way that may have changed the optimum oil level.

You're welcome. :)

Registered
Discussion Starter #40
It truly appears that my bike is level, (by looking at it) I'm going to put a level on it the next time I'm out in my garage, but if I have to lift the front end up a tad to check the oil I will....I have a couple of different sized floor jacks laying around in the garage....

BUT what surprises me is that even when it was a two wheel'rrrr Before I triked it out, I still could never get a oil site'ing on my dip stick... and I put in the 3.9 quarts w/a filter change.... I check it cold (no site) I start it up run for three mins. /let it sit for five-10 mins) No site.....The first time happened it totally freaked me out/I opened up the drain bolt, and out came all the oil..??? How is all this possible?? I take off the side cover/ remove the dip stick, wipe it off, and place back into the fill hole w/out screwing it in, wait a few seconds pull it out and look at it...NO site'ing of oil..

I have owned dozen of motorcycles (I have always had a MC in either my parents garage since I was 15 yrs old OR in my own garages for ever, and I'm not almost 70 yrs old...

Ronnie

21 - 40 of 40 Posts