Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I'm new to this board and a very happy new (to me) 1996 GL1500A owner. Figure I do my first post with a technical question.

I've got a light oil leak coming out on the underneath side of the alternator. Is this likely to be the oil seal Part #8 in the diagram below? If so, is that a relatively straight-forward DIY repair for someone with good wrench-turning skills?

TIA

Attachments

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,216 Posts
I'm not an expert on much, but I believe #8 is the bearing and it's only avail. with the rotor housing #17. #21 is the O-ring that seals the assembly to the engine. Maybe someone else with 1500 experience will chime in.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm not an expert on much, but I believe #8 is the bearing and it's only avail. with the rotor housing #17. #21 is the O-ring that seals the assembly to the engine. Maybe someone else with 1500 experience will chime in.
You may be right about the bearing, but the service manual shows it as an oil seal (page 17-16), if I'm reading it correctly. I'll pull the alternator off this weekend for a look. Thanks!

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,216 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, had gone to the local Honda dealership to get the part late yesterday and was told the same thing. Shame that a $5 oil seal is going to cost me a rotor core or alternator assembly. Thank you for your help.

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
If the leak is very small and not getting into the alternator, I suggest leaving it alone for now. A lot of 1500s leak some oil there for years. But if the leak is bad enough to get into the alternator and onto the floor, you will have to fix it ASAP.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.