GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an oil leak. It is predominantly on the right side. Someone suggested that I might have pulled the crank case breather loose when I changed the air filter. Anybody got any pics or tips on checking this?

The only other think is that I'm wondering if the Kuryakyn highway peg mount pushed on the valve cover and caused it do deform.

·
Registered
17,098 Posts
Jest ain't goatta clue without being there. Valve cover is EZ enough to check out.

prs

·
Young Buck
2,551 Posts
I'd let the dealer worry about finding and fixing whatever is wrong. I wouldn't be fixing it myself if it is an oil leak. This isn't prime time riding season yet, so get it scheduled in to the service department for them to take a look.

A motorcycle like ours shouldn't leak oil... unless its initials are "HD", of course...

Don't like you? No...we like you fine. But your mother does dress you funny... :lol:

·
Registered
173 Posts
You could completely remove your valve covers and would not leak oil. They are just dust covers. Your pegs would not be the cause of your leak.

·
Registered
5,254 Posts
Friday at work I noticed some traces of oil on the plastic push on cover near the engine's left side. I run my finger on the bottom side of the valve cover and there is fresh oil there. Very little, but it's there

The bike was just in for it's 4k mile service at the dealer about 450 miles ago. To my knowledge the 4k service does not involve anything in the valve cover.

Looks like my left valve cover may be the place to check

EDIT======== I pulled the spark plug cover off the engine . No leaks on the valve cover. I did find the pictured clear tube with a plastic plug that had oil on it and some in the end of the plug too.

I have no idea what this tube is for.

Anyone know? I do not have a manual

·
Registered
21,098 Posts
I believe the tube serves as a place to collect oil,gas,water from the air cleaner and crankcase. Just remove the plug to drain at each oil change. My 1500 would have STUFF in there everytime it was riden in the rain but my 1800 has only had STUFF in there once in 93,000 miles. I was at a rally where they had a dyno and the guy running the dyno said the drain plug could be left out permanently as it was only there to satisfy the EPA,not to sure that was a good idea I choose to leave it in. I don't know if the drain tube is the cause of the problem but it could be. One thing I do know for sure I like al2000, got the chance to meet him at the IBR,couldn't meet a nicer guy in my opinion.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
As cycledude said, that tube should be drained after each oil change. I wouldn't take the cap off. It is not that big a deal to change. Also if you drop your bike. Even a standing still drop, they recommend you drain that.

I pulled off the plastic today and I have oil both on the right side and left side. So I will be taking it in on Monday to let the dealer deal with it under warranty.

For those of you that have a lot of electrical gadgets. Getting my left fairing pocket in is a nightmare. The lower vents are pretty much worthless. So while I had the shelter off I removed the lower vent ducts. Three push pins and a little tug. This really freed up a lot of space for the electrical goodies. I have HID's under the mirrors and this really opened up a lot of space for the ballast.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I too had a oil leak problem, it was my timing chain cover and the oil appeared to be coming from the left side. It was later realized the cause was a faulty chrome cover. Instead of replacing it I re-machined the gasket surface and re-installed. So far so good, that was three oil changes ago..............

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.