GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just completed a trip from Geneva, NY to Nashua, NH via the Adirondacks on my new DCT Wing. The bike had 424mi on it at the start and ended with 1461mi. I have a lot of positive things to say about the performance of the bike, I soloed up and my wife and I rode back together, she loved the ride despite some issues with our Senna SRL systems. The electronics seemed to be the biggest issue however, we kept smelling oil but I was sure the bike wasn't burning oil and it's had a good break-in. When I looked at the bike this AM I noticed an oil drip on floor and it's coming from the left side of the bike. It's hard to say where it's coming from but it's not coming from the cylinders, it seems to be coming out of one of the sump covers. Oil level was a little lower than when I left, but well with in the acceptable range. I talked to the shop this morning and they want the bike immediately.

I'm a Mechanical/Machinery engineer and am very involved with all aspects of rotating equipment design, application, installation, operation, maintenance, and reliability upgrades. Along the way I've also done a lot of Root Cause Failure Analysis and not much intimidates me in regards to machines except oil leaks. I put this out there because in my experience if this isn't something simple it will turn out to be a chronic and unacceptable issue. I've learned a lot of things along the way and one of them is what separates great companies from mediocrity is how the handle situations when something goes wrong. Honda is a great company and the dealer has been excellent to work with so I'm confident it will get resolved so far. I'll keep the team posted.

Has anybody heard of this issue?

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
Search the 2018 forum for "oil leak". I remember a thread about a burning oil smell and someone finding the cause. I don't remember what the cause was though.

·
Registered
16,980 Posts
Probably at valve cover gasket, but the only way to know is inspection. Very rare for Honda motors to leak at all.

prs

·
Registered
7,562 Posts
I don't think it is a systemic design issue that root cause analysis will be able to isolate, if that is what the original post is asking.

I do buy that Honda is a great company --- BUT the dealers are franchises, some with abilities all along the spectrum.

Response 'here' would be at the opposite end of the scale. Mediocre is giving the one here too much praise.

No leaks here -- but if there was it would be 'do it yourself' or find a dealer in another town.

·
Registered
406 Posts
First thing I would take a look at is the DCT filter cover. It is easy to pinch that O-ring and might be possible it was pinched from the factory. Wipe it all off, warm it up and see if it is seeping around the DCT filter cover. If so, easy fix.

·
Love The DCT
12,020 Posts
Just completed a trip from Geneva, NY to Nashua, NH via the Adirondacks on my new DCT Wing. The bike had 424mi on it at the start and ended with 1461mi. I have a lot of positive things to say about the performance of the bike, I soloed up and my wife and I rode back together, she loved the ride despite some issues with our Senna SRL systems. The electronics seemed to be the biggest issue however, we kept smelling oil but I was sure the bike wasn't burning oil and it's had a good break-in. When I looked at the bike this AM I noticed an oil drip on floor and it's coming from the left side of the bike. It's hard to say where it's coming from but it's not coming from the cylinders, it seems to be coming out of one of the sump covers. Oil level was a little lower than when I left, but well with in the acceptable range. I talked to the shop this morning and they want the bike immediately.

I'm a Mechanical/Machinery engineer and am very involved with all aspects of rotating equipment design, application, installation, operation, maintenance, and reliability upgrades. Along the way I've also done a lot of Root Cause Failure Analysis and not much intimidates me in regards to machines except oil leaks. I put this out there because in my experience if this isn't something simple it will turn out to be a chronic and unacceptable issue. I've learned a lot of things along the way and one of them is what separates great companies from mediocrity is how the handle situations when something goes wrong. Honda is a great company and the dealer has been excellent to work with so I'm confident it will get resolved so far. I'll keep the team posted.

Has anybody heard of this issue?
On the left side of the DCT clutch housing is the cover for the linear solenoid valves. The cover is bolted in place. There is at least one bike that I know of were oil was leaking from the cover and being directed onto the exhaust and/or some drips on the floor.

Take a look at that area. It is possible the oil may be coming from there.

:doorag:

·
Registered
930 Posts
On the left side of the DCT clutch housing is the cover for the linear solenoid valves. The cover is bolted in place. There is at least one bike that I know of were oil was leaking from the cover and being directed onto the exhaust and/or some drips on the floor.

Take a look at that area. It is possible the oil may be coming from there.

:doorag:

I don't know if there were others, but I did post on here about mine leaking. The bike only had less than 1000 miles on it. It was coming from the solenoid cover. I was told when I got the bike back that there was an o-ring missing inside.
It did slowly drip down the engine and onto the exhaust.
The dealer actually came to my house and picked up the bike.

I also made sure they cleaned the header pipe off real good, because the burning oil could smell for a long, long time.

·
Registered
96 Posts
From my earlier post when my GL was new:
https://gl1800riders.com/forums/193-2018-goldwing-board/449603-oil-leak.html

My 2018 DCT was dripping slight amounts of oil from day 1. At the end of every ride, there would be a small circle of oil (about silver dollar size) under the bike. I could also periodically smell oil that was burning off the exhaust pipe. After 2 weeks, I took it in to the dealer who kept it for a week. It turned out to be a bad copper colored washer on the top of the case, near the back of the motor. Honda repaired it under warranty. No problems since.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Woodman10, thanks for posting. Will be interested in what the cause was. I’ve had an oil smell after riding the bike since new. No oil leak, just the smell. Been to the dealer twice; they smell it, but can’t find the source.

·
Registered
80 Posts
1,700 miles in and mine still has the smell. I’ve searched and searched. No visible signs from underneath and no drips on the floor to be found. Dealer still stands by their position that they will have to charge me 1/2 hour labor to inspect it for leaks and “if” they find one, they will fix it and “try” to get Honda to pay; else charge me. If they can’t find in 1/2 hour they will give it back to me repaired or not.

My dealer is disappointing. And I am naming them [Team Powersports of Garner] just because they pissed me off.

·
Registered
19,251 Posts
1,700 miles in and mine still has the smell. I’ve searched and searched. No visible signs from underneath and no drips on the floor to be found. Dealer still stands by their position that they will have to charge me 1/2 hour labor to inspect it for leaks and “if” they find one, they will fix it and “try” to get Honda to pay; else charge me. If they can’t find in 1/2 hour they will give it back to me repaired or not.

My dealer is disappointing. And I am naming them [Team Powersports of Garner] just because they pissed me off.

Find another dealer. I have never heard of this. Hondas just don't leak oil normally

·
Registered
19,251 Posts
When I looked at the bike this AM I noticed an oil drip on floor and it's coming from the left side of the bike. It's hard to say where it's coming from but it's not coming from the cylinders, it seems to be coming out of one of the sump covers. Oil level was a little lower than when I left, but well with in the acceptable range. I talked to the shop this morning and they want the bike immediately.

RESPONSE
Let your dealer check out. They should be able to isolate the problem. Hopefully it is something like a missing or pinched gasket. I too use the Sena SRL and they are finicky on the order that they are turned on. Everything has to be just right. You can email Sena and they will start a case and walk you thru how to use them.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Woodman10, thanks for posting. Will be interested in what the cause was. I’ve had an oil smell after riding the bike since new. No oil leak, just the smell. Been to the dealer twice; they smell it, but can’t find the source.
I have 4,000 miles on my DCT and no oil leaks. Performed the first oil change myself and the belly of the bike was completely free of oil.

However occasionally when I shut the bike down I notice a faint smell similar to Hot or Burnt rubber which seems to come up from the handlebar riser area ???

Just asking, are you sure it's oil you smell ??

·
Registered
409 Posts
I have 4,000 miles on my DCT and no oil leaks. Performed the first oil change myself and the belly of the bike was completely free of oil.

However occasionally when I shut the bike down I notice a faint smell similar to Hot or Burnt rubber which seems to come up from the handlebar riser area ???

Exact symptoms of mine and I have posted about rubber smell before. Never could find a reason. A little over 6k now and the smell is pretty much gone.

The OP has a leak also so probably different problem.

·
Registered
190 Posts
First thing I would take a look at is the DCT filter cover. It is easy to pinch that O-ring and might be possible it was pinched from the factory. Wipe it all off, warm it up and see if it is seeping around the DCT filter cover. If so, easy fix.
What he said. The O ring for the DCT may be compromised. I always have a spare on hand now.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'm new to the Goldwing and have been riding BMW K Bikes since '96 and our local BMW shop was like that. My friend and I ended up buying a tire machine and the diagnostics equipment so we could work on the bikes ourselves independent of they shop. One good thing was that we have BMW's and they don't have any reliability issues if you stay up on the maintenance.
The moral of the story is that BMW shop went out of business and it was all because their customer service was not good, the bike are great.

·
Registered
316 Posts
I'm new to the Goldwing and have been riding BMW K Bikes since '96 and our local BMW shop was like that. My friend and I ended up buying a tire machine and the diagnostics equipment so we could work on the bikes ourselves independent of they shop. One good thing was that we have BMW's and they don't have any reliability issues if you stay up on the maintenance.
The moral of the story is that BMW shop went out of business and it was all because their customer service was not good, the bike are great.
Amen,

i had a Kbike (2004 K1200GT) and the BMW community is full of engineers and airplane mechanics, and I am surprised that any BMW repair shop stays in business since those fellas fix and fabricate EVERYTHING attached to that frame.

My BMW had to have the clutch slave fixed and the ECU replaced (I didn't know how to diagnose the ECU issue at the time, it was a known problem with the "166" ECU), but it was 100% reliable after that. Stayed up on maintenance and the bike was fine, took me all around the country in style.

·
Registered
166 Posts

Yep, it’s oil we smell. Seems to be on the left side of the engine. Have noted the responses from others and passed them along to the dealer last time I was in. They inspected the areas and couldn’t find anything. I’ve only got 6500 miles on the bike. Hoping with more miles, and inspections; the seepage will be identified.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts