GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2005 with about 154K on the clock. I noticed recently that the oil light next to the FI light doesn't always come on when I turn the key to the on position. Sometimes it lights briefly, then goes out, other times it doesn't come on at all. I seem to remember it coming on and staying on until the engine started.

I am not sure if it's the sensor, the connector or other issue. I have ordered the sensor, but wanted to find out if anyone has had a similar problem and if I'm pointed in the right direction.

Are there any other tips I should be aware of when replacing the sensor.

Reactions: cycledude

·
Vendor
17,822 Posts
The light should come on when the key is on, and then go out as soon as the engine starts, or as the engine is turning over to start.

Here is another way of saying the same thing. When the key is on, and the engine is not running, there is power supplied to the oil light, and the ground side of the circuit is provided through the oil pressure switch (OPS). Once the engine is started, the ground circuit through the OPS is opened because of oil pressure.

Therefore, to test the oil light circuit, turn the ignition switch on, and verify that with the wire disconnected at the OPS that you have 12v at the wire... at this point, the oil light should not be on. Next, jump the OPS wire to ground, with the ignition switch in the on position your light should be on. If you had 12v, and the light came on once the wire was grounded, you now have to determine if the OPS switch is good. The best way to do that is to do an oil pressure test, however, to do that requires special tooling. The other way is to replace the switch to see if you get different results.

However, I would start by verifying that the oil level is correct by following the instructions in the Owner's Manual.

Is this a trike ???
Are you using an oil filter that is cataloged for a 5th gen ???

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,372 Posts
If you have an ohmmeter, remove the wire from the pressure switch and measure the resistance to ground from the connection on the sensor. It should measure zero ohms with the engine not running and measure infinite ohms with the engine running. You might find the wire loose on it, this has been seen before.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you both for your help, the light sometimes works properly, meaning with the switch in the on position, the light is on, then goes out when the engine starts as it should. Other times, it will come on briefly, then go out before the engine is started. The oil level is correct, and I am using an OEM Honda filter for a 1st Gen GL1800. I will pull the exhaust cowl tomorrow to verify the wire is tight and perform the tests you suggested.

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,372 Posts
Thank you both for your help, the light sometimes works properly, meaning with the switch in the on position, the light is on, then goes out when the engine starts as it should. Other times, it will come on briefly, then go out before the engine is started. The oil level is correct, and I am using an OEM Honda filter for a 1st Gen GL1800. I will pull the exhaust cowl tomorrow to verify the wire is tight and perform the tests you suggested.
You’re welcome, you only have to drop the front lower cowl to reach it. It’s located above the oil filter.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The wire was loose. I tightened it and it corrected the problem. I wish all the problems were this easy! Thanks again to both of you. It's nice to know you and a host of others are there to help us out.

·
Vendor
17,822 Posts
The wire was loose. I tightened it and it corrected the problem. I wish all the problems were this easy! Thanks again to both of you. It's nice to know you and a host of others are there to help us out.
Instant oil pressure ... sweet !!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts