GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Riding today noticed oil light on. Pulled over and checked oil level on center stand. Oil level was fine. Restarted bike and rode. Noticed ticking sound and loss of power. Any ideas as to what the problem is and how to repair would be greatly appreciated

·
Premium Member
1,630 Posts
What year and how many miles have you got on her?

·
Registered
750 Posts
Oil light means low/no oil pressure and can have nothing to do with the oil level. Oil pump shot, filter clogged, excessive engine wear, etc, etc..
If there were no symptoms that you list it could just be a bad sensor, but sounds as the engine is in serious distress.

·
GL1800 Doctor
19,722 Posts
First thing to do is stop running it until you can verify whether or not there’s oil pressure. Even if the filter does collapse, you still get oil flow due to the bypass valve opening. The oil pump is driven by a small chain and it could have broken, never heard of one failing on its own, but there’s always got to be a first. You need to locate an oil pressure gauge and remove the sending unit and hook it up to see if there’s any pressure at all. Please keep us posted. The only time I’ve heard of a 1832 with an oil pump failure was one that had an ADG failure and it dropped a piece of the clip straight into the oil pump chain, breaking it at speed on the highway. It ruined a bunch of bearings before he could get it shut down.

·
Registered
776 Posts
Riding today noticed oil light on. Pulled over and checked oil level on center stand. Oil level was fine. Restarted bike and rode. Noticed ticking sound and loss of power. Any ideas as to what the problem is and how to repair would be greatly appreciated
Sounds serious. Loss of oil pressure in any engine is going to mean some serious repair work is in order if not a complete engine replacement.

·
Vendor
16,590 Posts
2014 F6B . 48000 km
What oil and oil filter are you using ??? Don't ride it until you know what is causing your light to come on. Any indication of clutch slipping ???

·
Registered
750 Posts
No doubt some mechanical forensics are needed but anytime I've known an engine to lose oil pressure for any length of more than a few seconds and developed "noises" there was serious damage. Usually rod, main and cam bearings furthest from the pump suffered first/worst. Don't attempt to run it, even though it will usually. It's time to tear it down and/or replace.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Oil was changed by dealer about 3000km ago. Cant seem to find the paperwork at the moment to give you oil brand. Clutch is slipping

·
GL1800 Doctor
19,722 Posts
Oil was changed by dealer about 3000km ago. Cant seem to find the paperwork at the moment to give you oil brand. Clutch is slipping
That’s definitely a bad sign coupled with the loss of power and noises. The clutch springs are assisted by oil pressure. Something has definitely happened to your pump or pressure regulator. Any chance you bought the extended warranty from Honda?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
What oil and oil filter are you using ??? Don't ride it until you know what is causing your light to come on. Any indication of clutch slipping ???
Oil was changed about 3000 km ago at Honda accredited dealer. Cant find the paperwork at the moment to give you the oil brand. Clutch is slipping

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
That’s definitely a bad sign coupled with the loss of power and noises. The clutch springs are assisted by oil pressure. Something has definitely happened to your pump or pressure regulator. Any chance you bought the extended warranty from Honda?
What am I looking at for a repair?

·
Vendor
16,590 Posts
An oil pressure test needs done, and hopefully they have the tools to do that. If an incorrect oil filter is used, it can block oil pressure; however, I've never know one to drop low enough for an oil light to come on, so it might be something else. I'd find your receipt and see what the description and part number is for that oil filter, and oil. In the mean time do not start it ... it needs to be towed. As for repair, it could be as simple as putting a correct oil filter on it. You might want to read my posting in the link below.

·
Registered
16,671 Posts
I agree with Techdude; either the oil pump is no longer being driven or the intake screen is clogged. Not the oil filter, but the intake screen. As mentioned, the pump is driven by a chain and sprockets, they can fail, but rare. Paper or lots of gunk in the oil can clog the intake screen. If the oil on your dipper looks clean, then its probably paper or rag in oil. Maybe a paper bonded oil filter has come apart. The only way I know of checking the intake screen and pump drive is to open the rear case and that is most likely an engine out of frame ordeal. I am unaware of a method where the engine is in the frame and rear case removed. Checking oil pressure means spinning the engine, or the pump directly. and you already know there is inadequate pressure. Do keep us posted!

prs

·
Vendor
16,590 Posts
2014 F6B . 48000 km
Did you buy it new ??? Any idea if the engine has been out for a trans repair ??? When you were riding it home, did by change you hear a fluttering type sound ... like a soft sounding playing card in a bicycle spoke ???

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hey guys thanks for all the great feed back . I actually bought the the bike this January and with about 44000 km on it. It was my buddys fathers bike . He passed away just after Christmas. I took the bike to a dealer for the safety and oil change. I have towed the bike back to the dealer and hopefully next week they can get a look at it. Will keep you guys posted once I hear anything. Thx again.

·
GL1800 Doctor
19,722 Posts
Hey guys thanks for all the great feed back . I actually bought the the bike this January and with about 44000 km on it. It was my buddys fathers bike . He passed away just after Christmas. I took the bike to a dealer for the safety and oil change. I have towed the bike back to the dealer and hopefully next week they can get a look at it. Will keep you guys posted once I hear anything. Thx again.
Ok, I hope there’s some extended warranty, if the pump has failed or the screen is clogged, that’s an out of frame tear down and the bill will be above $1500 at most shops. Please keep us posted, it’s very rare to have an oil pressure problem on this engine. It’s been pretty bulletproof for most of it‘s 17 years of production.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts