GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This evening coming from Ft. Worth area, pull into motel in Beaumont, TX. Trike died, oil light was on, wouldn't start. It's dark so I pushed it into a parking spot. no oil leaks around filter drain pulg or underneith.nalso, no oil coming out back or getting on trailer. didn't check oil yet, will in morning. any suggestions what I should look for if oil level is OK? Does the sensor switch go out? this is a 2005 GL1800 with 68000 miles, all trike miles.
we're on our way to a trade show and have a deadline to be there.
Thanks,
GR1

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
Low oil...would not cause your trike to die...or not start .
Sounds more like an electrical problem.

·
Registered
3,276 Posts
This evening coming from Ft. Worth area, pull into motel in Beaumont, TX. Trike died, oil light was on, wouldn't start. It's dark so I pushed it into a parking spot. no oil leaks around filter drain pulg or underneith.nalso, no oil coming out back or getting on trailer. didn't check oil yet, will in morning. any suggestions what I should look for if oil level is OK? Does the sensor switch go out? this is a 2005 GL1800 with 68000 miles, all trike miles.
Thanks,
GR1
Im in Houston if I can help pm me and ill try to give you a hand.

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
If there is oil in the engine and it starts, remove the filler cap and put your hand over the hole. If you get splashes of oil on your hand then chances are the oil is pumping normally and you have a faulty oil switch. If you are not mechanically minded it will be a good idea to let a mechanic do the test and decide for you.

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,374 Posts
Here is the service manual procedure for the oil pressure switch. It is located above the oil filter, behind the horn.

Indicator stays on while the engine is running​
Check for continuity between the engine oil pressure
switch wire terminal and ground.
There should be no continuity.
• If there is continuity, check for short circuit in the
Blue/red wire between the engine oil pressure
switch and combination meter
• If there is no continuity, check the oil pressure​
(page 4-6)​
If the oil pressure is normal, replace the engine

oil pressure switch.

This is the procedure for checking the oil pressure:

Remove the left exhaust pipe protector​
If the engine is cold, the pressure reading will be
abnormally high.
Warm up the engine to normal operating temperature
before checking the oil pressure.
Stop the engine.
Remove the switch cover and disconnect the
engine oil pressure switch wire by removing the
terminal screw.
Remove the engine oil pressure switch and connect
an oil pressure gauge attachment and gauge to the
pressure switch hole.
Check the oil level and add the recommended oil if
necessary
Start the engine and check the oil pressure at
5,000 rpm (80
°C/176°F).
OIL PRESSURE: 77 psi)
Stop the engine.
Apply sealant to the engine oil pressure switch
threads as shown and install it.

TORQUE: 12 N·m (1.2 kgf·m, 9 lbf·ft)
Connect the engine oil pressure switch wire and
tighten the terminal screw.
Install the switch cover.
Start the engine.
Check that the oil pressure indicator turns off after
1 or 2 seconds. If the oil pressure indicator stays on,
stop the engine immediately and determine the
cause​
Install the left exhaust pipe protector

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
If I had any doubts that the engine had oil pressure, I wouldn't warm the engine up before checking it.

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,374 Posts
Yea, I thought that. Seems the writer of the manual is looking at it for checking correct oil pressure instead of checking for any oil pressure.:shock:

·
Registered
400 Posts
Had the same thing happen to me with my 03 one time. I found that I had bumped the shutoff switch when pulling into a parking spot. Don't know if this is the case or not.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Thanks,
GR1
Detective Jolly Jim here,

Long ride.........Dark..........Very tired............

Bumped kill switch, Just too tired and cold to think straight and in a big hurry to get a hot shower and some rest.

Problem Solved. :thumbup:

·
Registered
7,616 Posts
Oil light comes on if the engine dies. No pressure from the pump. Oil light is only a warning/problem if it comes on when the engine is running.

·
Registered
4,823 Posts
Had the same thing happen to me with my 03 one time. I found that I had bumped the shutoff switch when pulling into a parking spot. Don't know if this is the case or not.
+1... Wouldn't that be nice!!!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Kill switch

I always stop mine with the kill switch and then turn the key. I guess the habit started from my early years riding a dirt dike. The kill switch was all it had. Does anyone else have this habit?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts