GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So after some reading on here I chose to go the Rotella T6 / Supertech route. This was the first oil change I've done on the bike since purchasing it a couple months ago and I must say it's pretty darned easy even with the belly pan.

On a side note.... While out getting my supplies I came across the "new" Mobil 1 10-40 motorcycle oil. $9.99/qt :wrong:

·
Banned
1,766 Posts
That is exactly what I used when I changed the oil at my 4000 mile mark a couple of months ago on my 2010 model. Last week after getting back from Glacier National Park in I had over 10,000 miles on her so I changed it again. This time to Mobil 1 "Turbo Diesel" 5W-40. It was on sale for $18 a gallon jug. Might be me, but it seems to shift a bit smoother with the Moby 1 but I cant tell for sure. Anyway you in good company with Rotella in this forum. Lots of folks use it and are very happy with it.

·
Registered
2,640 Posts
So after some reading on here I chose to go the Rotella T6 / Supertech route. This was the first oil change I've done on the bike since purchasing it a couple months ago and I must say it's pretty darned easy even with the belly pan.

On a side note.... While out getting my supplies I came across the "new" Mobil 1 10-40 motorcycle oil. $9.99/qt :wrong:
Can you tell me why it's just wrong to run the Mobile 1 motorcycle Oil designed just for motorcycles. I have been running it for years without one single problem. So where do you come up with your reasons its no good?

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
I have heard about that Rotella stuff. Rothella whatever you call it.
But I heard it does not lubricate the reverse gear in the transmission adequately so I have never tried it.

Seems to me the reports say it does not have the cling properties at low temps and low speeds required for reverse gear.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Can you tell me why it's just wrong to run the Mobile 1 motorcycle Oil designed just for motorcycles. I have been running it for years without one single problem. So where do you come up with your reasons its no good?
I dont think he was saying there was anything wrong with the oil itself. I believe he is referring to the price of of $9.99 per quart beimg wrong.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
I use T6 all the time and reverse is as smooth as butter. It shifts a little rough into 6th but the rest is primo.

As for the comment on Mobi, I think the $10 a quart was the issue...would be for me too. At some point they ought to have a Hooters girl come over and change it for you at that price.

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
I have heard about that Rotella stuff. Rothella whatever you call it.
But I heard it does not lubricate the reverse gear in the transmission adequately so I have never tried it.

Seems to me the reports say it does not have the cling properties at low temps and low speeds required for reverse gear.
It'll make your muffler bearings rattle too. :shock:

You will find a lot that will say it is fine, too thin, too cheap, too non MC, too???????????

Enjoy the ride. Oh BTW the M1 MC oil isn't new, but it may have been hiding. It does that. Folks say $10 a qt., I haven't found it that cheap around here LOL

Best Wishes

·
Registered
2,640 Posts
I dont think he was saying there was anything wrong with the oil itself. I believe he is referring to the price of of $9.99 per quart being wrong.
You might be right sorry just upsets me when someone with no knowledge of oils have something to offer. Yea its a little pricey but it works well and I have over 60,000 miles of service from using it and not one single problem. I don't like paying big bucks for things either but if it works well :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:Ill continue to use it

·
Registered
385 Posts
I don't like paying big bucks for things either but if it works well :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:Ill continue to use it
Same here and with the longer than average oil change interval for the Wing, I don't mind paying more for Mobil1.

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
You might be right sorry just upsets me when someone with no knowledge of oils have something to offer. Yea its a little pricey but it works well and I have over 60,000 miles of service from using it and not one single problem. I don't like paying big bucks for things either but if it works well :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:Ill continue to use it

What makes day any less qualified than the rest of us? LMAO

·
Notorious Rocket Scientist
5,533 Posts
As for the comment on Mobi, I think the $10 a quart was the issue...would be for me too. At some point they ought to have a Hooters girl come over and change it for you at that price.
Advance Auto Parts has an unadvertised special on the Mobil One motorcycle oil a couple of times a year; $2.00 off per quart. I usually buy a couple of gallons when it goes on sale.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yes, I was referring to the price at $9.99/qt not the quality of Mobil 1.

As for my personnel opinion of Mobil 1.... I can't remember the last time I put anything other than Mobil 1 in a vehicle I owned. I've made over 500whp with Mobil 1 in a 6cyl short block with over 100,000 miles on it. I love the stuff.

I'll be trying other oils in the bike at future changes and deciding what I feel works best.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Not another debate huh....LOL!

Just shut up and use Rotella, that's what I read............cause we say so......

BG - Mobil 1 Worshiper

·
Registered
3,645 Posts
This is really getting to me. Doesn't everyone realize that oil just as gasoline is a promotion thing? T6 is JASO apoproved, big deal and I use it. Just like tires, get a life.

·
Registered
391 Posts
First oil change, I went with Syntec... this time, I picked
up a few jugs of Rotella 15W/40, it's what I use in the
Duramax, keeps it simple. Hot enough here not to need
the really thin stuff.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
I ve been using Castrol GTX in both my wings. My 81 wing has been using Castrol pretty much for it's 30+ yrs,130+k miles with a few changes to Spectrol golden four and Rotella and Dello without satisfaction. Back in the day Castrol didn't make MC oil I just used regular GTX car oil and never had an issue. On my new 2010 wing I've been using the Castrol 10/40 mc oil . Picked up 24 qts @ AutoZone when they had a sale $1.99 qt I use a st6607 filter $2.84 @walley world so the net of this is less than $11 a oil change. Can't beat it with a stick and it doesn't hurt my wallet.:thumbup::thumbup: So far 4 oil changes since new 3/12/11 11944 miles

·
Registered
5,173 Posts
This is a timely thread. I went three different places yesterday looking for oil for the Goldwing. I was amazed at the price increases. And it all can't be blamed on crude oil prices because we've seen much higher crude in the past when oil didn't go up this much.

The other issue is that 10/40 and 15/50 is getting much harder to find. It's available in some formulations such as the diesel that has been mentioned here as well as "High Mileage" formulations. But I am not willing to buy those until I have had time to do more research to assure they meet the same ratings that is required for our motorcycles.

And I agree that $10 a quart is just not right. Not when we've been paying roughly $25 for five quarts for so long that I can't remember any time we could not get it for that.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Advance Auto Parts has an unadvertised special on the Mobil One motorcycle oil a couple of times a year; $2.00 off per quart. I usually buy a couple of gallons when it goes on sale.

I was buying M-1 M/C oil also from Advance Auto Parts but noticed and started buying it at O'Reilly's for a dollar less ($9.99).

1 - 20 of 26 Posts