GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:roll:

I have not been on this website for a number of months;it looks great.
My bike is due for an oil change. From previous posts the concensus seems to be Mobile 1 10-40 MX4T red Cap. Is this still OK? Once I put it in how many miles should I go before changing it again?
Also, since I have short arms I am thinking of the new handlebar adapter from either Hondaline or Venco wings. Any advice and what do you think of them?

·
Registered
231 Posts
Hi Paul,
Let's save alot of time and rehash, got to the GL1800 Tech board and do a search for "oil"
There has been a plethors (ha) of posts on oil in just the last week or two.
Ride safe, 8)

·
Registered
231 Posts
Hi Paul,
Let's save alot of time and rehash, go to the GL1800 Tech board and do a search for "oil"
There has been a plethora (ha) of posts on oil in just the last week or two.
Ride safe, 8)

·
Chard Member
12,965 Posts
MX4T is motorcycle specific oil. Very costly! :( M1 red cap is a 15W50 auto oil. That seems to be what most people use in the Wing that uses M1.

·
Registered
12,417 Posts
Hey RC,

Took me more time to read both of your posts, than it did to think of the answer for our new member Paul !

Welcome Paul, your post is just fine where it is. Oil is a pretty "General Topic" around here.

Most guys like three types of oil other then OEM stuff. Mobil Red Cap, Shell Rotella and AMSOIL. Choice is yours, they are all good.

Bulldog

·
Registered
231 Posts
I must be getting old Dog, I seem to be repeating myself :!: :?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Hey ya' Paul....
Me ?
Had two 1500s since 93 and currently ride an 02 ABS 1800 with 61 thousand miles in alittle over two years.
Preferred oil ?
Mobile ! 15W50...the Red Headed **** stuff....with an OEM filter.
This desert heat will kill most oil, and I find the Mobile 1 Red, works good for up to 5000 mile change.
How ya' doing with the radiator fluid and the rear end, gear oil ??
Try it !
Lets ride em' ! California
www.pashnit.com
IRMac :biker:

·
Registered
170 Posts
OIL? Don't you guys know that if you do not use Amsoil motorcycle specific oil then you'll burn out your valves, wear out your rings, clog up everything in the oil passageways, blue smoke will come out the exhaust, cause excessive engine wear, blow up on the freeway, loose gas mileage, overheat, cause tires to wear out faster, burn up the clutch, make the transmission shift hard and chunk, and cause the radio to not recieve many FM stations. That's why I use it, I love it, and I change it when I want to. I usually change oil when the riding season starts, for me that's about April, and then I change it in the middle of summer. I do not change the oil in the fall to let it sit all winter. I start my bike during the winter at least twice a month and let it run for 20 minutes. You all must do as you believe you should. The main reason I use synthetic in my bikes is simply for the protection from excessive heat, no other reason. I started using synthetic in my racecar 10 years ago and will not race without it. Hope I didn't stir up any doo-doo. :p 8) :lol: :D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts