GL1800Riders Forums banner

oil on rear rim

2K views 13 replies 8 participants last post by  Wing One 
#1 ·
I finally got my 2012 out of storage today. I took her for a short 25 mile ride and when I stopped I had oil on my rear rim. The bike has been stored in a heated building since last Oct and only has a little over 6K on it any suggestions? My wife thought she heard a growl from the rear of the bike once, but could not hear it again. Please tell me it can't be the rear dif. and how would I check that.:cry:
Thanks Rob

#5 ·
Every now and then I will see a drop of gear oil just under the little breather tube that drops down. I am not sure why but I thought it may be just some excess that builds up when in motion and then drips out when sitting.

#6 ·
Every now and then I will see a drop of gear oil just under the little breather tube that drops down. I am not sure why but I thought it may be just some excess that builds up when in motion and then drips out when sitting.
The little post on the bottom is actually there to cause the oil to drip from it to get your attention if the ring gear seal is leaking. The vent is the little cap on top of the unit. You should not see oil dripping off of the little post on the bottom at any time. This means your ring gear seal is bad, possibly pinched when assembled at the factory. Use your warranty and be careful, the rear tire slides really good on gear oil.

#7 ·
The little post on the bottom is actually there to cause the oil to drip from it to get your attention if the ring gear seal is leaking. The vent is the little cap on top of the unit. You should not see oil dripping off of the little post on the bottom at any time. This means your ring gear seal is bad, possibly pinched when assembled at the factory. Use your warranty and be careful, the rear tire slides really good on gear oil.
Thanks for the info, I will have the Honda people look into this. I did think it was strange for a drip of oil to happen but like I say it is very rare to see it.

#8 ·
My final drive had to be disassembled because there was not enough bond material placed between the case halves during the manufacturing or assembly and it started leaking gear oil at about 22,000 miles. The seal was fine and I didn't lose much oil. Honda fixed it under warranty. They told the dealer they were not aware of this happening before. The leak occurred the same week we had several days of sub-freezing temps and my garage is not heated -- not sure if it's related. No problems since and I've covered about 15,000 miles since the work was done.

#9 ·
My final drive had to be disassembled because there was not enough bond material placed between the case halves during the manufacturing or assembly and it started leaking gear oil at about 22,000 miles. The seal was fine and I didn't lose much oil. Honda fixed it under warranty. They told the dealer they were not aware of this happening before. The leak occurred the same week we had several days of sub-freezing temps and my garage is not heated -- not sure if it's related. No problems since and I've covered about 15,000 miles since the work was done.
Honda tried saying that with mine also, dealer put 3 seals in it in a month and a half before I threatened with filing a lemon law suit, the final drive was replaced the next week. Even after they said that they never heard of the problem a fellow member here on the forums, had his new 2013 sitting in his garage all winter. The MC had not been riden at all, dealer delivered it to him on a trailer because of bad weather. Went out to the garage one day and found oil on the rear wheel. That was also part of the ammunition that got them to replace my final drive.

#10 ·
Not sure why but Honda must be telling them to say they are not aware of this happening before because they have been saying stuff like that at dealers all around the country for years.

#11 ·
Thanks for the replies

Thanks to all that replied. I made a appointment today to bring my bike in and have the seal replaced. I had a bit of an argument, the service manager said there was a 2% chance that was not the problem, I managed to convince him to order the part based on the 98% chance it was the problem. Again thanks for all the replies that is what makes this forum Great. :thumbup: :yes1:

#12 ·
Thanks to all that replied. I made a appointment today to bring my bike in and have the seal replaced. I had a bit of an argument, the service manager said there was a 2% chance that was not the problem, I managed to convince him to order the part based on the 98% chance it was the problem. Again thanks for all the replies that is what makes this forum Great. :thumbup: :yes1:
Keep us updated once this is supposedly fixed so we know if that was the true cause of the leak. Mine is in limbo now as it appears to have stopped leaking. :shrug:

#13 ·
No more leak

Well after my rear dif leaked for a couple of weeks, it seems to have stopped. I had the dealer order a new seal and while I was waiting for it to come in, the leak seems to have stopped. I checked the diff oil level every couple of days and it is still good. Not sure what the heck happened, but when the seal comes in I want the dealer to have a look at it.
Thanks for the help.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.