GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Question: What size wrench am I going to need to remove the engine oil drain plug on a 2006 GL1800. I’ve decided I don’t like having the oil changed at 8,000 intervals. I’m going to change the oil at 4,000 miles myself and let the dealer change it at 8,000.

Thanks

·
Registered
7,040 Posts
17 mm...

John
+1! If you can do the change @4000mi why would you have the $65.00 per hr shop guy do it @ another 4000mi? Just curious.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
When the warranty runs out I’ll do all the changes. I’ve always done the oil changes on the Yamaha. Just feel the GW is a big investment and want some dealer involvement as long as it is under warranty.

·
Registered
3,699 Posts
I just want to keep in good standing with the dealer incase I need him in the future. Buying the oil, filter and crush washer cost me about 30 dollars when I make the change myself. The dealer charges me 46 dollars and may see something I might miss.
When the warranty runs out I’ll do all the changes. I’ve always done the oil changes on the Yamaha. Just feel the GW is a big investment and want some dealer involvement as long as it is under warranty.

Ok........This is what I was saying all along for you weekend heros that think you have to do ALL maintenance on your Goldwing just to save a couple bucks.
I say....... keep your Honda dealership involved. It will keep them in business when it comes to other maintenance that you might not want to do,
and do your warrity work.

Even with a Goldwing service manuel and Fred's video's, some people would rather spend their time riding,
instead of dugging into something they know very little about or the tools to do it.

You realize riders......Not all dealerships are bad, you just have to do your homework and find the honest ones.

batess, your doing it right....good for you. :thumbup:

·
Registered
70 Posts
Dity

My dealer also sells BMW's. He keeps in business repairing BMW rear drives.:wrong:
While it is nice to keep the dealer involved, when I can buy Rotella oil for around $10, and filters for around $3, I don't feel like shelling out tons of money taking the bike to the dealer for oil changes. I go there for warranty work and tires. I bring in the rims, and they change the tires. It's not just that I am cheap, I just can't afford the hourly rates for things I can do myself.

I bought a magnetic drain plug for my Wing, but it is lost somewhere on my workbench.

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
I prefer doing my own routine maintenance to letting some 20 year old hack that leaves oily finger prints all over the bike!

Some dealers may have one good mechanic but the rest are really good at replacing the bearings on their skateboards. The good mechanics at the shops don't usually change oil.

There are few things on the wing that are not basic mechanic work. With the Honda shop manual, Fred's videos, and a GOOD set of tools anyone with any aptitude should be able to do their own work.

What is the difference between the owner of the bike doing the work and a shop mechanic? The owner cares what happens to the bike!

·
Banned
1,034 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
I hope you are not waiting for your first 4k!
If you have not changed it yet, I would do it ASAP. If there are to be any debris particles of dirt, metal etc. It would be wise to get it out at 1k.

I personaly change mine with plain old oil at 600/1k/3k/6k and then every 3-5k after that with Amsoil synthetic. JMHO

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Not waiting for the first 4K. I've put 16,000 miles on the bike and oil changes have been done. Thanks for the concern.

H

·
0 Posts
I bought a magnetic drain plug for my Wing, but it is lost somewhere on my workbench.[/quote]

I bought a camouflaged shirt, but lost it somewhere in my closet!

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
This may seem rude, but it isn't intended to be. If you need to get online to find out what size wrench to use to remove the drain plug, then that is the best reason to take it to someone else for maintenance.

Also, since you are questioning your confidence in the procedure (your fear that you may miss something), why don't you follow the manufacturer's recommendation and have the oil changed every 8k mikes. Why are you virtually rewriting that part of the manual? (that's a sincere question) You certainly don't live in an area that would require an increase in oil change frequency.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts