GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the oil pressure expected to be (approx.) for an 1800? Just curious. Would like to put an oil pressure gauge on my bike.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. I have not received my shop manuals yet so could not look it up. Has anyone done this and if so where did you plumb in the pressure sending unit. I was thinking of using a Tee at the pressure switch.

·
Premium Member
1,820 Posts
This is just my opinion, so take it for what it's worth, but why put in an oil pressure gauge? To me it's just one more location for a potential leak, and if you check your oil level before you ride and she's not smoking, the potential problem far out ways the good. The Goldwing is not prone to oil leaks, so if I had to add something, I'd add a voltmeter. Electrical problems tend to be more prevalent than oil problems. So, there you go. Good luck.

·
Love The DCT
12,005 Posts
Honda engines usually run about 80 psi of oil pressure and the 1832 cc is no different. The service manual calls for 77 psi at the oil pressure switch.
The specified 77 psi is at 5,000 rpm and 176 deg. oil temp. I've never measured it as I've had no reason to do so. I suspect with a fully warmed up engine, the oil pressure at 3,000-3,500 rpm is going to be less than 77 psi.

The 1833 spec is 99 psi at 5,000 rpm at 176 deg. oil temp.

:doorag:

·
Vendor
17,784 Posts
What is the oil pressure expected to be (approx.) for an 1800? Just curious. Would like to put an oil pressure gauge on my bike.
The spec is 76 or 77 psi depending on the printing of a Service Manual. The oil needs to be at operating temp, and the reading taken at 5,000rpms.

Are you installing an oil gauge because of aftermarket oil filters ???

·
Registered
8,728 Posts
This is just my opinion, so take it for what it's worth, but why put in an oil pressure gauge? To me it's just one more location for a potential leak, and if you check your oil level before you ride and she's not smoking, the potential problem far out ways the good. The Goldwing is not prone to oil leaks, so if I had to add something, I'd add a voltmeter. Electrical problems tend to be more prevalent than oil problems. So, there you go. Good luck.
:agree:

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the replies. I already have a volt meter. It was the first aftermarket upgrade I installed. I am somewhat of a gadget man and I want to install an oil pressure gauge for no particular reason. If it is installed correctly it will have no more of a chance of leaking than any other threaded in sensor on the bike. My opinion is by the time the oil light comes on the damage is done.

·
Registered
466 Posts
It’s just another farkle. More or less harmless if it doesn’t create a failure point (which it does).

I like an engine coolant temperature gauge, and am smug about it on bikes that have it. It seems superior. So for years I watch it cycle, never actually telling me something I need to know. Is it 174? Is it 204? Who cares ... but I still watch.

With TPMS, I like to be able to see the pressures rather than just get a warning when one is low. But the practical matter is that in either case, check the tires before the ride is good advice, and if you do, then a warning light that turns on later is good enough.

My ‘19 DCT non-Tour gave a warning the other day right on departure. It turned out the rear was down 3 psi due to the cold snap. That’s pretty sensitive and good enough for me.

Reactions: cycledude

·
Registered
5,965 Posts
I like gadgets too, but what are the chances you will notice the gauge is down in the 10 seconds it takes to toast the engine?
Even at zero pressure it will take more than 10 seconds to toast an engine. But it would be nice to be able to see what the pressure is and being able to notice a lowering trend over time.

Somewhat confused by the general resistance to an oil pressure gauge, I pay attention to them in my cars. Have never had an issue but I like having the knowledge.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Even at zero pressure it will take more than 10 seconds to toast an engine. But it would be nice to be able to see what the pressure is and being able to notice a lowering trend over time.
I agree about the 10 second comment. At the risk of hijacking the thread, I'm OK with an idiot light but I understand the desire to have a gauge. Modern engines are tougher than we often give credit for. My daughter's 2003 Honda V-Tech Accord suffered an O-ring failure that resulted in a leak that pumped about a quart out every 200 miles. When she brought the car over for me to check it out it had less than a quart of oil in it. The low oil pressure light was flickering. I added 4 qts to the full mark. We repaired it and it was still running strong a year later when it was traded.

I am reminded of this video showing a small airplane fitted with a clear plastic tank under the cockpit. At the pilot's command a valve is opened and the engine oil drains out of the engine into the clear tank. The video was made by a company that made an oil additive and is supposed to show how well the engine is protected with just the oil film remaining after draining all the oil out. The plane takes off and climbs to 800 feet or so and they drain the oil out. The engine operates normally while the pilot circles the airport twice and sets up his approach to land. The engine functioned normally during the time it took to do this which is two to three minutes.

Check it out. https://x1rcorp.com/x1r-home/

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
I agree about the 10 second comment. At the risk of hijacking the thread, I'm OK with an idiot light but I understand the desire to have a gauge. Modern engines are tougher than we often give credit for. My daughter's 2003 Honda V-Tech Accord suffered an O-ring failure that resulted in a leak that pumped about a quart out every 200 miles. When she brought the car over for me to check it out it had less than a quart of oil in it. The low oil pressure light was flickering. I added 4 qts to the full mark. We repaired it and it was still running strong a year later when it was traded.

I am reminded of this video showing a small airplane fitted with a clear plastic tank under the cockpit. At the pilot's command a valve is opened and the engine oil drains out of the engine into the clear tank. The video was made by a company that made an oil additive and is supposed to show how well the engine is protected with just the oil film remaining after draining all the oil out. The plane takes off and climbs to 800 feet or so and they drain the oil out. The engine operates normally while the pilot circles the airport twice and sets up his approach to land. The engine functioned normally during the time it took to do this which is two to three minutes.

Check it out. https://x1rcorp.com/x1r-home/
I recall a similar prime time TV commercial demonstration many years ago (sponsored by an oil brand but I can't recall which one) draining the oil out of a car engine and apparently running it successfully for an extended period.

Reactions: dduelin
1 - 13 of 13 Posts