GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Living in the mid-west, should I use Mobil One Synthetic 15w-50 or Shell Rotella 5w-40 Synthetic? I think the question boils down to which wieght is best. Been using Honda GN4 10w-40 and am ready to make the switch.

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
Bill, I think you would do well with either one. My next oil change will be with Shell rotella; already have two gallons in the garage. BTW, are you in IL?

·
Registered
376 Posts
I've been using the Mobil1 Red Cap for the last three or four years as my year round oil. 3 years in my Pacific Coast and switched the Wing over at the first oil change at about 3400 miles. I've never had a problem in cold weather starting either bike. I generally start mine at least once every two weeks and run them up to operating temperature. I realize that Arnold is about 20 miles closer to the equator than Creve Couer but it's not THAT much warmer here :wink: I like the way the Wing shifts with Mobil1 and will continue to use it. You're welcome to ride mine and see if you can tell a difference in shifting action. I just got done with an oil change this evening in preparation for my first commute of the year to work.

markie

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Generally speaking, you are better off with a 40 wt oil, that is what Honda recommends for year round use in the US. Honda says you can use a 50 wt, but they recommend the 40. Since Honda recommends the 40 wt, for year round use the 5w-40 would be the better choice.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks..going with Rotella 5w-40

Wingman26 makes a good point. So 40w it will be.

Lucky Phil.. I am in Creve coeur, MO 22 miles west of St. Louis, let's all get together and ride.

·
Registered
759 Posts
Honda service manual reccomends 10-40. Just relaying information.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sorry, I meant to say I will go with the Shell Rotella 5w-40, not straight 40w.

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
Re: Thanks..going with Rotella 5w-40

elkk said:
Wingman26 makes a good point. So 40w it will be.

Lucky Phil.. I am in Creve coeur, MO 22 miles west of St. Louis, let's all get together and ride.
Oh, I thought you might be from Creve Coeur, IL, about 60 miles south of me near Peoria, IL.

I

·
0 Posts
Why switch oil?

Bill:

I guess I don't understand why you want to change to synthetic. Honda recommends 10w-40. The oils you are considering aren't 10w-40. They are 5W and 15W. Probably a minor point. My main point would be that Honda recommends their GN4 10-40 oil. Why change? Why ask for an argument if there is a problem and you are not using the oil they recommend.

Synthetic oils are very good and it is highly unlikely they would be a problem. But they are expensive...and why ask for trouble? I will stick with GN4. If somebody has a good argument otherwise, I am listening.

·
Registered
469 Posts
elkk

My service manual does not list 5 W anything as OK for th Wing, readin page 3-11. I switched to Mobil 1 red top 15W50 after usin Honda 10W40 GN4 for 70,000 miles. After readin ah couple of oil compairson surveys & testimonials from Wing owners with high milage that had been usin Mobil 1 for years. I think it's better oil. I was ah skeptic & it took a long time, & lots of research for me ta change my mind on this. :mrgreen:

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have a related question -- would appreciate your comments.

I was in Costco the other day and saw Mobil 1 with a green top and one with a black top -- no red cap. I went to the Mobil web site to see if I could get some information on the difference -- nothing that easy.
:x
Can anyone comment on the differences? I think one of the bottles at Costco said "Mobil 1 with SuperSyn" -- I read a few experiences where a fully synthetic oil actually oozed through the gaskets -- the molecules were so small compared to a mixture of good ole crude. Hey, that's what they said anyway :roll:

-gene

·
Registered
48 Posts
honda oil

Hey , I have a question, I still use Honda 10w-40 in my 03 1800 . I now have 7750 mile on it .Is it to late to change over and is there anything wrong with using honda oil ??

terry

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
Robert Schilling said:
Lucky Phil....I was in Chillicothe once..very nice place.
Robert, it's better now. They made the highway going through town into a four lane, replaced all the sidewalks, etc. Jerry's Junkers....I mean Jerry's Corvettes should be a tourist draw. I think he has cars that have been sitting on his lot for 30 years. :lol:

·
Chard Member
12,960 Posts
The owners manual states anything from 10W30 to 20W50. I don't like the idea of the 5W! :(

sjvanepps.....No argument, but I can tell you that Honda's HP4 will make your Wing shift better than the GN.

·
Registered
7 Posts
oil

I have not been on this sight for many months, I like it. :D
My question is once upon a time I copied info on oil from the GWRRA sight saying to use mobil 1 10-40MX4T. Which is right/
Also what is the interval for changing it?

·
Young Buck
2,551 Posts
CleanGene said:
I read a few experiences where a fully synthetic oil actually oozed through the gaskets -- the molecules were so small compared to a mixture of good ole crude. -gene
Yes, synthetic oil will ooze through gaskets... when conventional oil won't. It happened to me on my 1990 Honda motorcycle. No leaking whatsoever with conventional oil. Changed over to Mobil One, and the oil oozed through every gasket.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Paul -

Read your owners manual. Use any oil that meets the specifications there (I prefer Amsoil 10w40 MC specific oil) Jyst avoid any oil that is labelled "energy conserving".

How often? The manual says 4,000 miles for the frst change, and every 8,000 miles after that.

Roy

1 - 19 of 19 Posts