GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been experiencing an oil burning smell while riding - only notice it while stopped. The smell is similar to what I've experienced briefly after oil/filter changes on my other wings. I have just shy of 400 miles on her and the oil level is between the 2 marks on the stick. Dealer doesn't remember what the level was at when they sold me the bike and the service manager has a "what do you want me to do about it" attitude. I've begun my own personal documentation of this because it's apparently too much work for my dealer to do. Has anyone else experienced this on their '18?

·
Registered
777 Posts
I've had a hot smell (don't know if it's oil burning) when I've stopped or parked it in the garage. It seems to be getting less & less over time. I'm at about 2200 miles now. I doubt it is anything to worry about. :serious: :smile2: :surprise:

·
Registered
3,673 Posts
I've had a hot smell (don't know if it's oil burning) when I've stopped or ......... :serious: :smile2: :surprise:

Usually a thin film of Kosmoline (sp??).

·
Registered
16,629 Posts
I do not think there is any cosmoline on the bike. Inspect along the head pipes and about the O2 sensors to see if there is any evidence of seepage that might drip onto them. Dust trails under or along the engine or about the front shock. Good luck. I hope you find nothing.

prs

·
Registered
34 Posts
I have been experiencing an oil burning smell while riding - only notice it while stopped. The smell is similar to what I've experienced briefly after oil/filter changes on my other wings. I have just shy of 400 miles on her and the oil level is between the 2 marks on the stick. Dealer doesn't remember what the level was at when they sold me the bike and the service manager has a "what do you want me to do about it" attitude. I've begun my own personal documentation of this because it's apparently too much work for my dealer to do. Has anyone else experienced this on their '18?
I'm glad you posted this! I'm having the same issue, although it goes away fairly quickly once the bike is shut down. Normally an oil leak of any sort will linger for an hour or so. I'm thinking this has something to do with the bike being new. I crawled underneath it with a flashlight a few evenings ago and inspected everywhere I could think of. I turned up nothing. I'm right around 800-900 miles right now.

Keep me/us posted if you learn more about this, and I'll do the same!!

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
did anyone polish the bike with a detailer? could be it.

·
Registered
713 Posts
My bike smelled the same way under 1500 miles especially if I had it above 60mph. I believe it is just newness.

·
15 year Member
6,806 Posts
My bike smelled the same way under 1500 miles especially if I had it above 60mph. I believe it is just newness.
That’s the ticket!! Fill up tank, ride 75 mph for a solid hour... stop fuel up and do the same thing going home...

I guarantee the “newness” will be long left behind by then, that’s what I did!!

Mattbcnv

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have the same issue, smell of hot oil when idling and stopped. Girlfriend smells it also, so not imagining things. Like an engine breather hose is unhooked or breather not working properly. Anybody complain about this to a dealer yet? My 4K service won't be for a few more months, but I definitely plan on mentioning it...

Joe

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
I had the smell and the last couple of rides it didnt get my attention. Hopefully its gone as I was suspecting a leak.

·
Registered
798 Posts
It seems I have smelled the same thing since the bike was new. I did the 4K service on my bike last weekend and afterwards cleaned the bottom of the bike off real good.
This last week, I could smell something and I checked underneath the bike with a flashlight and did not find any leaks.
I wonder what it could be?

·
Vendor
16,371 Posts
This might be relevant. Not on a 6th gen, but on a 5th gen, I recently had an issue I'd never experienced before. Keep in mind that the issue was on a reverse trike, so air flow around the shift linkage is completely different than a 2-whl or trike.

After a short ride, I spotted smoke, and an oil smell coming from the shift lever hole in the left, forward, exhaust shield. In this case, I could actually see a drip hit the exhaust header, and then smoke. It was cause by the lube I used for the pivot bolt, its washer, and the bushing in the shift lever.

I could actually see it dripping from the pivot pin area and onto the left header. Because it is a reverse trike, that area must be much hotter, then all others with the front assembly blocking air flow. What Honda calls for is listed below. However, when I looked through my various lubes that I had on hand that, according to Honda met the spec below, some had higher "drip points." For years I'd been using one rated at 120 deg, but I had another rated at 420 deg. I removed the shield, the pin and linkage, cleaned the old grease off, and re-lubed with the high temp rated grease to resolve the issue.

So, in summary, Honda might be using a grease somewhere on an external seal that has to low of drip point, and therefore is dripping onto something hot like a header. With a maybe a light and a mirror, look for a "trail" or "spotting" on a header. Pay attention to what is above the header. If there is a seal near, or o-ring above or in front of an area, the header area below or behind will need a closer inspection.

Use multi-purpose grease (lithium based multi-purpose grease NLGI #2 or equivalent)

·
Registered
31 Posts
I have 5000 miles on mine and it smells like oil burning when I pull into the basement after riding. Been doing it ever sense we got it. Can't find the source.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts