GL1800Riders Forums banner

21 - 40 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Mine does this. I have not noticed a pattern. With that in mind I do not recall smelling it after initial ownership. It was over filled by more than a quart by the dealer.

·
Registered
432 Posts
My 2001 also had this smell but the bike ran fine. 2018 does it very occasionally. Crankcase breather has nothing. Oil was at correct level when new. Have never had to add any oil between changes. No sign of oil leaking on anything. Since this was quite regular on my 2001 and it ran fine I'm not too concerned with the 2018......

·
Registered
81 Posts
Hello folks. New here; first post.

I just bought a white 2018 DCT Tour and I came here for this exact issue. At 200 miles I started smelling burning oil while stopped. At 500 miles now and it is still there. I spent some time underneath with a mirror and flashlight and can not find any leaks. The crankcase oil is within limits with no perceptible drop in level. I am able to use my nose to trace the smell somewhere near the left head. I do not smell it on the right side. But I do smell it while atop the saddle at stoplights. I can not find any smoke; just the odor of burning oil.

I did a 50 mile ride at highway speeds hoping to burn off what it could be. Nope.

I asked my dealer at 400 miles about it and he said I would have to pay a 1/2 our labor fee for them to inspect it. If, and only if, they found a leak that Honda would agree to fix under warranty would I get my money 1/2 fee back. Really?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Hello folks. New here; first post.

I just bought a white 2018 DCT Tour and I came here for this exact issue. At 200 miles I started smelling burning oil while stopped. At 500 miles now and it is still there. I spent some time underneath with a mirror and flashlight and can not find any leaks. The crankcase oil is within limits with no perceptible drop in level. I am able to use my nose to trace the smell somewhere near the left head. I do not smell it on the right side. But I do smell it while atop the saddle at stoplights. I can not find any smoke; just the odor of burning oil.

I did a 50 mile ride at highway speeds hoping to burn off what it could be. Nope.

I asked my dealer at 400 miles about it and he said I would have to pay a 1/2 our labor fee for them to inspect it. If, and only if, they found a leak that Honda would agree to fix under warranty would I get my money 1/2 fee back. Really?
I had the exact same thing happen when I picked mine up last May 2018.....finally went away around 1,000-1,500. I wouldn't worry about it. I recall reading from a lot of other riders with the same issue....it finally goes away.

·
Registered
372 Posts
I have that also, but mine smells like burnt rubber, probably all and the same , I will have mine checked and also have them check the boot as if I remember on some 1800s from back had a boot problem.

·
Registered
798 Posts
I actually have over 7,500 miles on the bike now and the smell is gone. I guess I have to believe it was just something that was new, smelling when it got hot and now has burned off.
No problems with the bike.

·
Registered
574 Posts
I actually have over 7,500 miles on the bike now and the smell is gone. I guess I have to believe it was just something that was new, smelling when it got hot and now has burned off.
No problems with the bike.
Quite often there is residual cutting/stamping oil on the parts in the muffler, and that takes a LONG time to cook off. If it's in the engine or the header, it burns off in seconds, or minutes at worst. But back where temperatures are cooler, it can take quite a while to burn off. My money's on the muffler/exhaust system near the end, and it being cutting/stamping oil in the internal parts.

·
Registered
432 Posts
How about the crankcase breather being over full of oil?
Anybody ever empty it? What did you find?
I have checked the cannister 3 times and there has never been anything in it. However my 2001 used to get some liquid in it but it had a lot more miles.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have been experiencing an oil burning smell while riding - only notice it while stopped. The smell is similar to what I've experienced briefly after oil/filter changes on my other wings. I have just shy of 400 miles on her and the oil level is between the 2 marks on the stick. Dealer doesn't remember what the level was at when they sold me the bike and the service manager has a "what do you want me to do about it" attitude. I've begun my own personal documentation of this because it's apparently too much work for my dealer to do. Has anyone else experienced this on their '18?
I have the same problem with my brand new 2020 goldwing. oil smell while riding. I took the bike to the honda dealer, they said they do know where this oil may be coming from. They did say they can smell it too. Can you tell me how you resolved this issue with your motorcycle. Thank you.. John

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
I had the burning oil smell and after 20k miles I dont get the smell any more.

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
have no idea ; no one wants to strip the bike to investigate without some visible sign. I said whatever , it has a warranty and then no more smell. ???????

·
Registered
283 Posts
Same issue here. It's still under 1K miles (just got it late fall) and when I pull into the garage after a ride there is a bit of "hot oil/rubber" smell. I just assume it's the newness of the bike and will fade after some miles. To me it's completely expected on a new engine/bike

·
Registered
585 Posts
My 2018 has the same smell. Oil/rubber smell after a ride. I have 5500 miles now and done it since I bought the bike. Oil level is fine and same smell after the first oil change.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I noticed the smell at 100 mile new.. I said the same thing maybe its just "new bike" smell etc. Now bike has 1000 miles , still oil smell. I took it to the dealer 10 days ago. The lead tech said yes,, he smells it. He looked in there and said yes.. there is a little oil in there dripped on the hot engine. very little.
I asked him where is it coming from.. he said he has "no idea".
The dealer service manager put a call into Honda corp. to see what they say. It's been 8 days now and no reply yet from honda corp. Meanwhile my new expensive bike is sitting in the dealer service dept.. parked waiting for a reply from honda.
Let see where this leads to. Im willing to wait, as long as we get some sort of reply from Honda Corp. I'll let you know what they say.
It does not make sense to me that you would have this problem with a new $28k motorcycle.
Also I hate now knowing what is causing this issue. We need some sort of closure on this.

21 - 40 of 53 Posts