GL1800Riders Forums banner

41 - 53 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
585 Posts
I noticed the smell at 100 mile new.. I said the same thing maybe its just "new bike" smell etc. Now bike has 1000 miles , still oil smell. I took it to the dealer 10 days ago. The lead tech said yes,, he smells it. He looked in there and said yes.. there is a little oil in there dripped on the hot engine. very little.
I asked him where is it coming from.. he said he has "no idea".
The dealer service manager put a call into Honda corp. to see what they say. It's been 8 days now and no reply yet from honda corp. Meanwhile my new expensive bike is sitting in the dealer service dept.. parked waiting for a reply from honda.
Let see where this leads to. Im willing to wait, as long as we get some sort of reply from Honda Corp. I'll let you know what they say.
It does not make sense to me that you would have this problem with a new $28k motorcycle.
Also I hate now knowing what is causing this issue. We need some sort of closure on this.
Keep us posted. A lot of us have this smell

·
Registered
3 Posts
I've got it too. My new (to me) 18 has it, with less than 400 miles so far. I'm not worried at all-- I came from a Road King which blurted oil out the breather tubes all over the headers and stunk like gasoline every time I pulled into the garage. My wife wouldn't go in there to throw out any trash if I just came home. And Harley guys told me to get used to it all, it was all normal...........(and it was).

Compared to that, this is nothing. After all, it IS a Honda. I expect it'll go away. Running awwwwwsome......

·
Registered
5 Posts
man that harley comment really made me laugh. Well what can I say.. If I wanted to smell gas and oil I guess I would have purchased a new harley instead and be happy now:)

·
Vendor
16,381 Posts
Maybe Harley designed the engine, but instead of transferring oil from one chamber to another, the 6th gens are transferring oil from the engine to the outside.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Update: OK I picked up my bike yesterday from the dealer. after 14 days sitting at the dealer.
They said Honda NA told them to try a few diagnostics, etc. they say everything checked out.
the smell is still there. The dealer said / honda said / I have to live with it and this is not going to cause any mechanical problem.. Go figure.. The are trying to sweep this under the rug.
They do not see this as a major issue, although this could possibly turn into a major bad publicity issue for them. Who knows..

I think what is happening is a simple financial decision on part of Honda North America.
The dealer does not want to take the bike apart to look deep into this because it costs money and time to do this, I understand this point, but don't agree.. If HONDA NA does not authorize or reimburse the dealer service department for this labor then the dealer would want to charge the customer or they would have to eat the cost. No dealer is going to take apart a new motorcycle without being authorized or paid for the labor by Honda North America.

So I have a new $29k new bike that has an oil smell when I stop at a traffic light and when I park in my garage.
Honda north america said ride the bike and if it gets worst bring it in again.
Honda NA, opened a case number on my bike and said its been noted in my file.. whatever that means.. i dont know..
so im going to ride the bike and cross my fingers the oil smell goes away at around 6000 miles. If the oil smell is still there I'll bring it back and insist they take the bike apart to figure out where this oil drip is coming from.

Any thoughts let me know..
Thank you.. john

Attachments

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
after 20k I believe its gone.

·
Vendor
21,576 Posts
I most certainly would not want my bike taken apart by a dealership just because of a light smell of oil from it. It would be a waste of time, and there would be a higher chance that they would break something or not put it back together properly. If your bike isn't smoking, I would not worry about it. I had a new bike in my shop with only 2 miles on it this week, and I noticed a slight smell from it after I rode it as well, and my own bike did this too during the break in process. I believe it is normal, and isn't anything to worry about. If your bike isn't leaking or burning oil and smoking out the exhaust, I don't think you have anything to worry about.

I've seen this happen with other bikes that have a lot of plastic on them. My suspicion is that the heat from the engine is baking off some of the chemicals from all the surrounding plastic bodywork panels, and it creates an oil-like smell. I bet it will go away after you put a few more heat cycles on the engine.

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
I most certainly would not want my bike taken apart by a dealership just because of a light smell of oil from it. It would be a waste of time, and there would be a higher chance that they would break something or not put it back together properly. If your bike isn't smoking, I would not worry about it. I had a new bike in my shop with only 2 miles on it this week, and I noticed a slight smell from it after I rode it as well, and my own bike did this too during the break in process. I believe it is normal, and isn't anything to worry about. If your bike isn't leaking or burning oil and smoking out the exhaust, I don't think you have anything to worry about.

I've seen this happen with other bikes that have a lot of plastic on them. My suspicion is that the heat from the engine is baking off some of the chemicals from all the surrounding plastic bodywork panels, and it creates an oil-like smell. I bet it will go away after you put a few more heat cycles on the engine.
I agree with the taking apart thought. I said oh well it has a warranty. Took about 15000 miles before it started dissipating.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Yep 3k on my 2020 and still smelling it too. I am glad this post is here so I now know mine isn’t the only one doing it. I can live with it if it doesn’t get worse. It is very strange to have this and wish we knew exactly what it was though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
16,631 Posts
Back in posst #4 I said; "I do not think there is any cosmoline on the bike. Inspect along the head pipes and about the O2 sensors to see if there is any evidence of seepage that might drip onto them. Dust trails under or along the engine or about the front shock. Good luck. I hope you find nothing."

I assume that did not pan-out. Some responders with the phantom oil odor mention a rubber-like odor about it or even maybe brake burn odor. This brings me back to a hose or plastic part against the exhaust headers or oxygen sensors. Also, there is a bundle of drain tubes exiting on the left side under frame, I forget how many on my DCT, but maybe 4 or 5? When you get home after a ride, do the sniff test around the openings of these hoses to see if one of them is your Huckelberry. Use a vinyl tube or plastic straw as your pipette from each opening to your nose. One is coolant, one is fuel spill, the other I dunno.
Happy to say that the only time I had this problem was the other day when I accidently splashed the drain pan of old oil up onto the exhause. That cleared-up by wiping it off at first and then after a ride where I smelled the oil burning off, I let it cool an cleaned the area again with brake parts cleaner (I hate that stuff).

Early editions of the previous model Goldwings were prone to have phantom coolanat odors.

prs

·
Vendor
21,576 Posts
PRS, I believe you are correct, it is most likely a hose or plastic part that is a bit close to a hot part of the exhaust or engine that is putting off the odor. We saw this same thing happen to the early generation Kawasaki Concours, and it was finally nailed down to a plastic panel near the exhaust that was getting too hot.

41 - 53 of 53 Posts