GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
4,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yea, oil definitely oil

So I am doing my first at 1k, the next at 4k and following Honda recommend from then on.

My choices are the 10-30 Honda recommends, or the 10-30 Fully Synthetic Honda which cost nearly twice as much.

I ran Motul 7100, 10-60 on my RT and it was the best oil....I never had an oil actually make a difference on a bike so I am gonna try the Motul on the Wing after I break it in good. I run in a tropical island during the year, and in the mainland in the Summer--both places hot, the desert crossings very hot and I expect the 10-60 to be really good on the Wing...However, I would not be surprise if them clutches in there work best when you use the 10-30 Mama Honda recommends.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Any oil that meets specs or greater so you have several choices. As you describe, many put oil that is not listed in spec and still don't report issues so that decision is entirely up to you. Personally, I run Motul 5100 10W30 in mine.

Reactions: OneMileAttaTime

·
Registered
8,305 Posts

·
Registered
4,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This is kind of funny, but the fact still remains: There are no empirical studies on the variables of different oils. Perhaps a serious study would reveal there is 'no difference'. But to know, like for sure, one would need a well structured empirical study with statistical results. That is lacking not only on oil use, but in tire performance. That's probably the reason why there is so much subjective BS on both subjects...when there is no knowledge, ignorance takes over.

Reactions: OneMileAttaTime

·
Registered
793 Posts
Nando,

With all due respect, may I suggest when you post a new thread you be much more specific in your title?

For the sake of clarity, instead of labeling your threads, "Oil", it would be helpful to members if you wrote something like, "Oil weight question", or instead of "Tires", "New Tire Recommendations?", or instead of "Wondering Windshield", perhaps "Comments on Honda accessory windshield v F4 and others wanted."

I think all members here want to be helpful to fellow members when they ask for opinions and assistance, but a clear, specific title helps the knowledgeable members here understand quickly the information you're seeking.

Kind regards.

Tim

·
Registered
3,352 Posts
I still have a case of Harley oil 20w50 full synthetic oil. Any problems using this oil on a Goldwing? Dumb question?
You may discover leaks that you didn't know you had.
>:)

Attachments

·
Registered
4,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Nando,

With all due respect, may I suggest when you post a new thread you be much more specific in your title?

For the sake of clarity, instead of labeling your threads, "Oil", it would be helpful to members if you wrote something like, "Oil weight question", or instead of "Tires", "New Tire Recommendations?", or instead of "Wondering Windshield", perhaps "Comments on Honda accessory windshield v F4 and others wanted."

I think all members here want to be helpful to fellow members when they ask for opinions and assistance, but a clear, specific title helps the knowledgeable members here understand quickly the information you're seeking.

Kind regards.

Tim

good suggestion. I 'll keep that in mind. thanks

·
Registered
8,305 Posts
This is kind of funny, but the fact still remains: There are no empirical studies on the variables of different oils. Perhaps a serious study would reveal there is 'no difference'. But to know, like for sure, one would need a well structured empirical study with statistical results. That is lacking not only on oil use, but in tire performance. That's probably the reason why there is so much subjective BS on both subjects...when there is no knowledge, ignorance takes over.
And THAT's when people ask which oils to use on a messageboard. :lol: :joke:

Seriously though, there is evidence that changing the oil in a GoldWing before recommended intervals is a complete waste of time, energy, money and resources - yet people still do it. So I doubt even serious studies would change people's stubbornness and closed-mindedness about modern extended change intervals. "Feelings" over facts. :shrug:

·
Registered
8,305 Posts
Nando,

Kind regards.

Tim
There's also an "Oil" Sub-forum, where odds are one can find the answer to their questions (multiple times) before asking them. :wink2:

·
Vendor
17,815 Posts
Yea, oil definitely oil

So I am doing my first at 1k, the next at 4k and following Honda recommend from then on.

My choices are the 10-30 Honda recommends, or the 10-30 Fully Synthetic Honda which cost nearly twice as much.
Oils are like hamburgers. Any burger will fill your belly and make your hunger pains go away. However, what burger is it that you really want ... want it to have cheese, bacon, onion, lettish, ketchup, mayo ??? Oh ... so now the one that cost $0.59 is not really what you are looking for.

Your Wing is similar. It needs an additive package that is unique. The Honda engineers say it needs the oil and additive package that's in GN4 10w-30. GN4 is not only the best oil for your Wing, but it is also the most popular oil too.

·
Registered
4,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
And THAT's when people ask which oils to use on a messageboard. :lol: :joke:

Seriously though, there is evidence that changing the oil in a GoldWing before recommended intervals is a complete waste of time, energy, money and resources - yet people still do it. So I doubt even serious studies would change people's stubbornness and closed-mindedness about modern extended change intervals. "Feelings" over facts. :shrug:
Where is the evidence that changing oil before the recommended intervals is a waste ….?
EVICENCE? as in verifiable empirical....supported by statistical research....based on an appropriate unbias methodology and not one from a Brand name pushing the quality of their goods over others.

I would very much like to see that evidence

or...are you talking about the research project done by Dr. Max Lubricate of Traxxion

Reactions: William Anzik

·
Registered
8,305 Posts
Where is the evidence that changing oil before the recommended intervals is a waste ….?
EVICENCE? as in verifiable empirical....supported by statistical research....based on an appropriate unbias methodology and not one from a Brand name pushing the quality of their goods over others.

I would very much like to see that evidence

or...are you talking about the research project done by Dr. Max Lubricate of Traxxion
Evidence is the number of Wings out there still running great with extended changes - like mine. Evidence was a post a few years ago with detailed pictures of a GL1800 engine disassembled after 100,000 miles with the hone marks still on the cylinder walls with extended (8,000-12,000) mile oil changes with different oils - mostly Mobil 1, if I remember correctly. That's my evidence. Proof to me that it's unnecessary to change any more often than recommended. Now if there was any evidence at all - just one instance - of an engine suffering because of an oil issue - that might dispute my evidence. Just one. Darn near 20 years and me scouring these and other boards for 14 years and not a single shred of evidence of any oil-related issues at all. That in itself is evidence supporting my case. How could that not be good enough?

·
Registered
4,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Evidence is the number of Wings out there still running great with extended changes - like mine. Evidence was a post a few years ago with detailed pictures of a GL1800 engine disassembled after 100,000 miles with the hone marks still on the cylinder walls with extended (8,000-12,000) mile oil changes with different oils - mostly Mobil 1, if I remember correctly. That's my evidence. Proof to me that it's unnecessary to change any more often than recommended. Now if there was any evidence at all - just one instance - of an engine suffering because of an oil issue - that might dispute my evidence. Just one. Darn near 20 years and me scouring these and other boards for 14 years and not a single shred of evidence of any oil-related issues at all. That in itself is evidence supporting my case. How could that not be good enough?
I see your point

Reactions: William Anzik

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
Best? Most popular?

Oils are like hamburgers. Any burger will fill your belly and make your hunger pains go away. However, what burger is it that you really want ... want it to have cheese, bacon, onion, lettish, ketchup, mayo ??? Oh ... so now the one that cost $0.59 is not really what you are looking for.

Your Wing is similar. It needs an additive package that is unique. The Honda engineers say it needs the oil and additive package that's in GN4 10w-30. GN4 is not only the best oil for your Wing, but it is also the most popular oil too.
I am wondering how you came to those conclusions. Best is really hard to identify when you don't even know the evaluation criteria. If I think the best oil is the cheapest one that will keep my wing from seizing up, I suspect GN4 won't meet the criteria.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
I am wondering how you came to those conclusions. Best is really hard to identify when you don't even know the evaluation criteria. If I think the best oil is the cheapest one that will keep my wing from seizing up, I suspect GN4 won't meet the criteria.
Because the owners manual recommends GN4 by name?
Good enough reason for me.....

·
Registered
19,254 Posts
Full Synthetic

It offers more protection

If you choose oil that offers less protection that is your business

·
Vendor
17,815 Posts
McD's got burgers for $0.49 :)

1 - 20 of 36 Posts