GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a GL 1800 two months ago and I want to try a CT rear, Dunlops e3 suck for tire wear, most people are using the Mich-alpin ZP will that hold up for 25k or more? also (dunlop wintersport 175/60/16) does it handle well and last ? I need to talk some more about this before I order a tire.

2002 Goldwing Titanium
Other bike is a three dimensional PPG - see profile pic:lol::eek:4:

·
Registered
641 Posts
195/55/16 seems to be the most popular,but some guys are using 205s.I'm pretty green on this,but I'm sure you'll get some better advice in a little bit.

·
Registered
19,445 Posts
Mileage WILL vary as it does with any tire/
8-20K is my guess

Whatever your results they should be better than a MT

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
All my experiences in about 200k of CT use wearing out most of the known brands used.

195-55-16 is optimum, anything bigger is, overkill with slight downsides

Run Flat tires are slightly more expensive but could keep your butt from being stranded on the side of the road......or worse.

The 175-60 is adequate for mostly straight up non aggressive riding, too small for the opposite.

Go with a Winter RF because it has more bite on wet roads, has more tread to begin with and usually has a rounder profile. IT can be used all year even in warmer climes with no problems.

My all-time favorite: Michelin Primacy Alpin PA3 ZP. :thumbup:

·
Registered
393 Posts
Made the switch to a car tire last week and all I can say is there is no down side to it. All that I read against running a car tire was wrong but, the skies didn't clear and birds didn't start chirping because I did switch. The improvements to the handling characteristics of the bike were noticeable but not dramatic and that's what I expected. I did expect to spend less on a car tire as opposed to a motorcycle tire and I did. I do expect the car tire to run longer and it certainly will. Both the wife and I are very pleased with the car tire and the improvement it made. Did I mention it costs less and lasts longer too?

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
If you are expecting 25K out of any tire, especially a RF you are probably in for a let down. Some people claim high mileage, but most seem to get 25-50% more than a MC tire. Not too shabby, but a long way from what you seem to expect.
Tire wear depends on riding and road conditions and the percentage seems to be a decent ballpark gain.

Happy hunting, and we all hope you enjoy the Darkside.

·
Registered
19,161 Posts
After you ride on it for awhile, you won't care if you don't make it to 20k out of it, you'll just want another!:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
I have 17K on my Michelin and was hoping for 20K but I am getting very close to the wear bars on it. Will be swapping it out for a new one just like it before the DS ride in. I am running 32 psi and probably could have gotten a couple more thousand out of it if I had bumped that pressure down to 30 but for me and my riding style and location, I like the feel of 32. This tire has run the TN, NC, and GA mountains and twisties mostly with only a few thousand on the slab. No way I can squeeze 25k out of it.

·
Registered
507 Posts
I have 17K on my Michelin and was hoping for 20K but I am getting very close to the wear bars on it. Will be swapping it out for a new one just like it before the DS ride in. I am running 32 psi and probably could have gotten a couple more thousand out of it if I had bumped that pressure down to 30 but for me and my riding style and location, I like the feel of 32. This tire has run the TN, NC, and GA mountains and twisties mostly with only a few thousand on the slab. No way I can squeeze 25k out of it.

Ok so out of curiosity are you running the dyna beads?

As far as milage is concerned I would guess it is really dependent on the style of riding and keeping the proper inflation all the time. Someone like myself that commutes A LOT and is hardly in the twists should tend to get better tire milage than a canyon carver like Trailsman.

·
Registered
11,183 Posts

As far as milage is concerned I would guess it is really dependent on the style of riding and keeping the proper inflation all the time. Someone like myself that commutes A LOT and is hardly in the twists should tend to get better tire milage than a canyon carver like Trailsman.
MR_WING, at 32 psi in the Pirelli Eufori, and doing few twisties, I think you will see premature center tire wear. I am just specualting from what I have seen before. YMMV. Good luck.

·
Registered
2,818 Posts

No dyma beads in this tire. I plan on trying them in the new one I am going to be putting on.

·
Registered
19,445 Posts
I know CENTRAMATICS cost more than beads but these things really smooth the ride out

1 - 12 of 12 Posts