GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for some good vacation ideas for this year, it is starting to get tough because we have been to so many places on the bike, so I will ask you guys to help me out and see what we can come up with. :sw1: :flg:

·
Registered
823 Posts
As long as you are on the bike, just go which ever way the wind blows and it will be a good trip. Actually we went to Colorado Springs in 2000 and had a fantastic time. Stayed there 3 days and then went to Red River NM for 2 days. Lots of things to see and do in Colorado Springs and Red River is great for R & R.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Southernmost point? Key West

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's a start I was in Colorado last year when I went cross country And have been in S.C many times including living in W. Columbia and Elgin, S.C., and Myrle Beach many many times and I will be there for bike week in May.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Take a bunch of pieces of paper and on each one, write down somewhere you've never been, place them all in a hat and draw one out. That's where you go. Or pin a U.S. map to the wall and throw a dart at it. Where it sticks is where you go.

It's a huge country and every acher has something to offer. Even the deserts here in the west have their own beauty to be taken in. It doesn't matter so much where you go. Just enjoy getting there.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Lolo pass between Idaho and Montana is as fine a road as you will find anywhere. A quick side trip to Glacier Park with the "Going to the sun" highway is a great ride -- we even enjoyed it in the snow last year!

·
Registered
15 Posts
You could try Yellowstone/Grand Teton National parks or if you want something for spring or fall, go further south to Bryce Canyon/Zion National parks. You could also take in Canyonlands and Arches National Parks. We did these last year and it was definitely the best vacation ever!

·
Registered
213 Posts
Why not come up to Canada. Nice and warm in July and August with plenty of great biking roads in all of our Provinces.

BONUS: your dollar is worth 30% more here!

We did the Cabot Trail on Cape Breton Is. 2 summers ago, and it was fantastic. Like you died and went to biker heaven.

In my neck of the woods, a ride around Lake Superior (Circle Route) is something you will never forget.

·
Vendor
21,871 Posts
Try this route out

I had so much fun doing this last year, that I am going back and doing it again in a couple months, with a few alterations.

North Rim of Grand Canyon

Zion Park in Utah

Death Valley

Yosemite Park

San Francisco

Hwy One in California

British Columbia

Glacier Park

Grand Tetons

Flaming Gorge

As they say, a picture is worth 1,000 words. Hope these give you some ideas.

·
Registered
4,738 Posts
Colorado

And Colorado has some of the best riding and scenery around. If you decide on Colorado, let me know and I'll give you some help/tips.

Gore Pass

Hoosier Pass

Independence Pass

Cripple Creek

Rocky Mountain National Park

Peak-to-Peak Highway

And, I highly recommend southern UT and northern AZ, to include Zion National Park, Bryce Canyon NP, Escalante-Grand Staircase, UT-12 from Bryce over to Torrey, Capitol Reef NP, Monument Valley, North Rim Grand Canyon, and Arches National Park. In Colorado, Million Dollar Highway Durango to Ouray, Poudre Canyon, Rocky Mtn National Park, North Rim of the Black Canyon of the Gunnision between Gunnison and Crawford/Hotchkiss, Grand Mesa, Ouray to Dallas Divide to Telluride to Delores, and just about any of the roads west of I-25.

And Glacier National Park is one of my favorites also. And northern California, including the coast highway north of Hearst Castle to Oregon, Coastal Redwoods, Yosemite Valley and High Country. As you can see, I just love riding in all these great places. Perhaps putting all of these in a hat and drawing a few is the best say to go!!!!

·
Resident BBQ Expert
13,862 Posts
i have been just about everywhere in a car. but being there on a goldwing just seems like an adventure.

i have a calling in my motorcycle life to run the coast highway from san diego to seattle. just getting there is quite a journey from wisconsin. theres only about 100 great things on the way to see.

some day i will run the coast hiway, i promise.

loren

·
Registered
9,099 Posts
Dave

I'm impressed. Great photos. Great planning.
I generally don't envy much, but I would have loved that trip.

I just put Colorado on the list for Septembers ride. :biker:

Julys ride this year is the Inland Passage, across BC, then down
thru Montana, Idaho, and Oregons Willowa and Blue Mountains.

Mays ride will be Death Valley, Yosemite, Sequoia, and Mt Lassen.

Hope to see you on the road.

Life has much to give. Take it all.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Dave T.
You forgot Mt Evans (used to be the highest house in the country), Estes Park, Rocky Mountain National Park

1 - 17 of 17 Posts