GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK,.DJ Fire....splain that to me...

Your training method for tight turns works real good for me turning to the left where I successfuly scrape the peg and feel I am in good control and balance gravity and the forward motion.

But.....why am I so much better to the left than I am turning to the right? I am right handed and have no neck problems yet I have a tough time scraping the right peg. I would say I practiced the right even more than the left. Whadaya think?

·
Banned
3,074 Posts
Perhaps your political views cause you to lean left?

·
Registered
3,875 Posts
I think you will find that MOST (but not all) riders are more comfortable making tight/sharp LEFT turns, even though MOST are right-handed. I know I am. Someone tried to explain this in a post on here not too long ago, and I think they were correct, but i can't remember exactly what they said.

·
Registered
5,260 Posts
I think you will find that MOST (but not all) riders are more comfortable making tight/sharp LEFT turns, even though MOST are right-handed. I know I am. Someone tried to explain this in a post on here not too long ago, and I think they were correct, but i can't remember exactly what they said.
That is what I have always heard. But I like the political view idea better.

·
Registered
19,164 Posts
Could it be because your right is the strong side your muscle memory allows you to lean farther left because your body knows it can recover from it?

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Jeffrey,

No I'm not DJ either, but I had this same problem for long time myself as others said before...

I'm sure you're going to be getting all kinds of advice and justly so, my advice may not be the best for you or someone else, I can't talk for others, but for me it was the feel of the throttle coming in so close to me as I would be turning to the right that I kinda felt like I was losing some of my 100% throttle control and my speed, and this feeling was in my mind and when I was able to overcome it I have had no more problems turning either way since, even with Traxxion set all the way up, in a tight curve at speeds I have no trouble scrapping pegs and sheet metal on either side... I don't like the feel of the scraping at all, but if need be I do it anyway...

For me it was not a mechanical thing at all, it was all metal...

It does take lots of practice...

Good luck...
:thumbup: :thumbup:

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
I am the same way but for me, I believe it is because I feel like I have more control of the friction zone with the left turn than the right. Maybe because of the extended reach of the left arm in the tight right turn.

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
Play with your right arm and elbow and wrist position. Holding the throttle normally does restrict the right hand turn.

Roll your palm up on the throttle a bit, you will find it works well.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Jeffrey,

For me it was not a mechanical thing at all, it was all metal...

It does take lots of practice...

Good luck... :thumbup:
Thanks. I am sure it is mental, not physical. I am trying to find a solution and if I don't - its is not the end of the world. I also know other people do better in one direction than the other.

Of course going to a psychiatrist is out of the question. I am NOT nuts. Will keep practicing. I still want to hear what JD has to say........

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Thanks. I am sure it is mental, not physical. I am trying to find a solution and if I don't - its is not the end of the world. I also know other people do better in one direction than the other.

Of course going to a psychiatrist is out of the question. I am NOT nuts. Will keep practicing. I still want to hear what JD has to say........
You should be able to find a few abandon strip malls somewhere near you (this is what I used) where you can practice in one of their parking lots and start large doing figure eights until you can get them down as small as possible, this will help in building the muscle memory that Rocketman was talking about... :thumbup: :thumbup:

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
I have the same problem only it's to the left, I am much better at right turns than left. It is that way on the dirt bikes also, I have been contributing it to two things. The main reason for me I believe is my left side is weaker, I have a plate and 13 screws in my left femur and my left leg is definately weaker and as a result I unknowingly favor that side most of the time. (right turns on the d.b. require me to throw the left leg).

But I believe and it is only my opinion is that the throttle and brakes are on the right side of the bike and most people feel more comfortable not burying them under the lean....so to speak. :shrug:

·
Registered
3,650 Posts
Many years ago I took the MSF course, and this same question came up, the instructors answer was that the rider may not be sitting in the middle of the seat, although he, or she thinks they are....don't know if he is right or wrong?

·
Registered
274 Posts
For me, I realize that when I'm in full leaning right hand turn and a car is across the yellow line, it is my bike that will most likely be clipped first. When I'm in a full leaning left hand turn and a car is cutting the corner, it is my face that will clip the vehicle first.

But, on the other hand, if I'm leaning hard in a left hand curve and I hit gravel I just go off the road (worse case). If I'm leaning hard in a right hand curve and hit gravel, I slide into the oncoming traffic in the other lane! Ouch.

Does that pretty much sum it up?

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Haste Maker - not directly relating to the subject......

Arrogance & rudeness is not a personality quality
However......I am told that "Old Age and Treachery Trumps Youth and Beauty".

·
Registered
195 Posts
OK, My humble oppinion. Could it be that the right turn is tighter, and depending on the curvature of the road, you have to lean farther to reach the same point.

I have designed a number of roads, and there is always some slope (or crown)to a road from the center out to the edge (drainage). In a left turn you have less distance to the road surface (not much), and in a right turn you have more distance to the road surface (not much).

So you possibly have to have more lean angle to reach the same condition in a right hand turn, and being as we ride or travel on the right side of roadways, the right turn is a tighter turn.

You may actually be leaning the same distance but not getting the scraping response. Have some one video tape you and see if that is the case.

If you practice in a parking lot, the surface is flat and you should get the same results because it is equal distance when cornering.

Again just my very humble oppinion.

Charlie Morse
Land Elephant

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
If you practice in a parking lot, the surface is flat and you should get the same results because it is equal distance when cornering.

Charlie Morse
Land Elephant
Good point, except....I practice at Costco parking lot (remember....free Nitrogen !!!)

·
Florida Moderator
4,617 Posts
I feel more comfortable/confident in left turns also, and I don't think it has anything to do with the road. When flying, I have that same comfortable feeling making steep left turns, where steep right turns don't feel as good.????:shrug:

·
Registered
293 Posts
Maybe it's because in a left turn more of the road is visible and in a right turn you are closer to the edge?:shrug:

1 - 20 of 38 Posts