GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lately when I start up the bike it will want to stall, almost like the choke is sticking? I have a 08 with 62000 miles and have done all the service required from day one (valves, plugs, air filter ect>) but for the last few months it’s almost like it is chocking until it gets to normal running temperature then it runs good.
It will do it almost every time I start up the bike and I have to pull the clutch in and rev the engine to keep it from dying. I have reset the ECM by letting the bike warm up to operating temperature without touching the throttle and even put in another set of new plugs thinking I might have gotten a bad plug but like I said it runs good once I get moving.
The gas mileage is the same and I don’t really see any other problems but this is frustrating because when I take off from the start I have to make sure I am ready for it to stall in case I head out into traffic.
:eek:4:
I hope someone has experience this problem and can shed some light on this for me, we are heading for Tenn. For a week of fun on the 16th and would like to take care of this if possible.
thanks
:popcorn:

·
Banned
11,396 Posts
Have you ever run any "Techron" fuel injection cleaner through a tank of gas?

I'd start with the easy stuff first.It's good that you follow the schedule to maintain your investment.:thumbup:

But we can buy crappy gas at any time,and it doesn't matter who we buy the gas from either.It just happens.

A bottle of Techron will clean about 20 gallons of fuel.I'm an animal and I dump the whole bottle in for added strength.

Do this for a couple full tanks and see if it cleans out?.

·
Banned
3,074 Posts
Ethanol in your gasoline purchased at the pump absorbs moisture and gums up gas tanks, fuel lines, injectors, etc. if your bike is allowed to sit for awhile with aging gasoline.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I do use Lucus in the gas tank and ride it almost every day so gas sitting won't be a issue.
I wondered if the automatic choke could be at fault, but dont know much about that, I have done the air filter quite a few times on my 02 and 08 and even looked the other day to make sure that something wasn't disconected but found everything was OK (and I don't get any F1 lights or anything on when it happens) I don't know much about fuel injection and chokes and so I thought I better ask on here.
I still have warranty on the bike but don't know if the dealer would know as much as people on this forum, I also wonder if the cables could be causing this but again I am just fishing on that one.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Your bike is fuel injected, so there is no choke. I agree with running injector cleaner to see if that helps.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
since the bike is fuel injected there is no automatic choke.

it could be a senser gone bad. is it displaying any codes?
if under warantee take it to the dealer.

John

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
Have not had problems with mine yet so I have not sat down to figure how things work on the wings yet..But being fuel injected it should have a ACV this being an Air Control Valve which controls the idle and also a Throttle Body of some sort...Usually ACV can be replaced and the Throttle Body can be cleaned..

·
Registered
4,841 Posts
I would try resetting the ECM:

Cold engine. Without touching the throttle, start the bike and let it run until the fans come on. Turn it off.

Also, make sure you don't have a loose plug or plug wire.

·
Registered
543 Posts
I would try resetting the ECM:

Cold engine. Without touching the throttle, start the bike and let it run until the fans come on. Turn it off.

Also, make sure you don't have a loose plug or plug wire.
Now that's funny... You didn't even read his post at all :joke:

·
Registered
418 Posts
Sounds like the coolant sensor may have taken a dump. I would ohm it out to be sure. That tells the computer how much feul to feed according to the coolant temp.

·
Registered
3,371 Posts
If I am not mistaken, there is an intake air temperature (IAT) sensor which tells the ECM to send a richer air fuel mixture (same thing as a choke on a Carbed engine). My guess is that this is not sending a proper signal. It is probably always within spec range so it might not be sending a code... Take it to the dealer... Your warranty should cover it.:thumbup:

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I did change the coolant recently, along with plugs, oil, air filter, front seals (removal of the handle bars and throtle cable).

I didn't know it had a coolant sensor and did make sure that the plug is in at the air filter sensor, but like I said it never gives a code on the dash and as soon as the bike gets up to operation temperature it runs OK?

I would take it to a dealer but don't know if they have a mech. that really knows Goldwings and don't really want mine to be thier learning bike????

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
Have you ever run any "Techron" fuel injection cleaner through a tank of gas?...
I was going to suggest running some Seafoam thru it. My Harley was getting harder and harder to start and I suspected that the injectors needed a good cleaning.

Put about 1/2 can of the stuff in a full tank of fuel. Went for a short ride one afternoon, used about 1 gallon of fuel. From that point on the bike has fired up immediately. Yep, it worked that quickly.

·
Registered
19,256 Posts
I agree with Rocky but would change where I bought gas if possible and try to get out the gas in question and replace with fresh fuel

·
Registered
804 Posts
I would do all of the above including an inspection to make sure some critters has not homestead your air intake and filter box as some have posted in the past. :roll:

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I went around 1000 miles last weekend so gas was bought at different stations and didn't stay in the bike long, I also just replaced the air filter so right now critters can't get in there (or at least they have to move fast).

I suspect that it has to do with a sensor somewhere because it runs good once it warms up? I will probably take it to a dealer when I get back but most of the time they want to have you leave it there for a while and that hurts!!!!!!!

I just figured someone on here had this happen and would know, I have always been able to find out anything on the GL1800 here..

thanks.

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
Maybe the MAP sensor.

Fuel injection uses the fuel and air mix to run properly and a cold engine needs more fuel and the MAP sensor will tell the ECU this. As does the O2 and IAC . But the MAP works with the injector circuit to provide proper fuel and air flow, so I would suspect it to either be dirty or defective.

·
Registered
479 Posts
sounds like the throttle body is dirty, haven't had this happen on my gl, but have seen it on vtx's and harleys I've worked on. sounds just like what you described

1 - 20 of 37 Posts