GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thankx for all the input we decided on the Aspen Classic. Well I wake up this AM seeing an ad from a fellow member selling a brand new one. Well I bought it!
So now I'm wondering what you guys take along. I've got AC, sleeping bags, cooler taken care of. Plus electric brakes. So what is on your "don't leave home without" list. ie Whats the latest and greatest in stoves? camp chairs, lanterns. My stuff is pretty dated and needs replacing.
Thankx

·
Registered
336 Posts
That is a pretty long list in reality.

We always try to get electric sites, so a good long extension cord and an adapter to allow a standard cord to be plugged into a 30 amp outlet.

A plastic ground cloth and a piece of thin indoor/outdoor carpet to go under the floor so it is protected from any stones we might miss while gettting ready to set up.

We also have a thin carpet we put inside the tent portion.

Our stove is a Stansport that has a single burner and a small gas grill all in one. It works really well, it does need to have a carrying case because the grill portion will be bit dirty if you use it. This fits just right flat on it's side in the front basement.

A single bit hatchet for pounding stakes and for making kindling when needed.

Extra tent stakes, we have the nail type and some that are more flat depending on the type of soil.

Don't forget the bar to use to operate the jacks.

For chairs I suggest the Pico chairs. They are pricey but they are comfortable director style chairs that fold down into a very small package.

For light we just use a Coleman flourescent battery powered one. It's not like we are sitting outside reading at night, we need just enough light so we don't trip over things. A gas latern will need new mantels every time you put it in the trailer because they won't stand the ride they will get.

We have an old milk crate that I built a lid for that we use as a step to get in and out of the bed easier and it holds a lot of the small stuff like our shower flip flops, an extra little extension cord, a grade school pencil box with tent and air mattress repair kits, extra electic adapters, seam sealer, some tape, zip ties, and other small items I can't remember all of at the moment.

We use plastic totes, one for food and one for all the dishes and pans and such that stay in the camper. Office Max or Office Depot have a pretty good selection, watch how tall they are, the way we pack about 11 inches is the tallest that works well.

·
Registered
2,811 Posts
2 THERMOCELLS with refills....

·
Registered
732 Posts
While I don't have a tent camper I do have a tent and camp a lot. One of the things that I strongly recommend (as recommended to me from a friend) is replacing all of your tent stakes with the Ground Hog Stake. They are a bit pricey but worth every penny in my opinion!

http://www.rei.com/product/682543/msr-ground-hog-stake

Also, the Kermit Chair is a great piece of engineering!

http://www.kermitchair.com
/

·
Banned
939 Posts
:thumbup:
I must concur with Mike_R!

Although, after careful consideration of your needs and more importantly your desires, you might consider a generator that is more capable of sustaining at least 1/3 of any campground you may encounter as the rewards in trade goods alone, you will get in return will make it worthwhile.

That all being said I would strongly encourage you to do some practice runs margaritas included in your garage or shop to contemplate all the possibilities and new horizons that await you.

Do not retreat back into your foundation home during this all important pre shake down cruise.

Have a great time! Enjoy!

This link might give you a few tips as well..less the tent perhaps.
http://gl1800riders.com/forums/showthread.php?t=291619

·
Registered
71 Posts
We use sheets and blankets instead of sleeping bags. Good, heavy duty folding chairs(Coleman Max). A single burner stove(coffee pot) and a dual burner stove and a table top grill, propane only. 1lb bottles can be picked up any where. Awning or canopy to cover the pin-nic table/provide shade.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thankx for all the ideas. Going shopping (lots of sales right now). Pick up Aspen Classic Labor day weekend and off we go..................well after a few trial set-ups.

·
Registered
219 Posts
The best thing I bought for motorcycle camping is a fold up cot. It folds up to about 8 X 3 X 24. I pack the cot, a foam pad, and the pillow off my bed at home. I sleep very comfortably every night.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Congrats on the Aspen, you're going to love it. You'll learn over time what you can do without and what you absolutely need. Now, even with all the camper storage you'll find that space is at a premium and anything you can part with gives you a little more room for the essentials. I camp frequently and for months at a time. Your clothing for several climate zones eats up a lot of room. I've also gotten away from absolutely needing electric every night with rechargeables for lights and air pump. I do carry a solar water heater and separate shower tent for camping off the grid . . . call me a wuss but I like my showers before hitting the sack.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Thankx for all the ideas. Going shopping (lots of sales right now). Pick up Aspen Classic Labor day weekend and off we go..................well after a few trial set-ups.
Congrats and good luck with your new camper.There is nothing like camping to bring back your youth and forget about problems for awhile.

Barry

·
Registered
72 Posts
eidolon,

All I have is a vinyl water bag that says "solar water heater" and an easy to set up tent/toilet room, both bought at walmart. Not very sophisticated but it does the job. If I find it will be late when I pull into one of those off the grid sites, I'll strap the filled bag on top of the camper and by the time I pull in it will be hot enough to shower with. Many BLM and nat forest areas out west have beautiful camping areas with no amenities other than the view.

·
Registered
154 Posts
eidolon,

All I have is a vinyl water bag that says "solar water heater" and an easy to set up tent/toilet room, both bought at walmart. Not very sophisticated but it does the job. If I find it will be late when I pull into one of those off the grid sites, I'll strap the filled bag on top of the camper and by the time I pull in it will be hot enough to shower with. Many BLM and nat forest areas out west have beautiful camping areas with no amenities other than the view.
Thanks Touringtom.
I was wondering about the heating mechanics to.
All questions now answered! :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
We went to Bass Pro Shop last week and looked at tents and camping gear. Camping gear has come a long way since we last camped. If there is a Bass Pro near you or Cabellas, you might want to check them out.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have an Aspen and you will really like yours. We take our cooler inside and you it as a step to get into bed. Somebody showed us their floor frame. Take four pieces of 3/4 inch plastic pipe and 4 elbows and make square frame for your floor. The floor is so square you don't even need to stake it down. It's very light also. We also use Pico chairs. Our foam mattress broke down pretty quick so we bought a 2" visco elastic foam pad. It's a great bed now. The more you camp the more you will customize your stuff.

·
Registered
826 Posts
gear

I use a Jetboil and Mountainhouse freeze dried instantly reconstituted meals, have Jetboil frying pan, cheap styrofoam disposable cooler , Bag left over from box wine container inside home made canvas cover for drinking and all purpose water [takes up very minimal space/weight when empty]. Have an electric heater, but sleep under sheets and blanket and pull a down filled sleeping bag , unzipped, over it all if it gets cold. Prefer 110 volt hookup, but carry battery powered LED lanterns and the most useful all round utility/work light is a Dorcy LED headlamp, which frees up both hands. EZ Fierstarter by ezfire.com is the best/quickest of its kind.
Andy

·
Registered
1,522 Posts

The best thing we carry is this "camp kitchen" table from Bass Pro. It gives us a place to stash all the gear inside the tent and if needed a table outside for cooking. It weighs about 5 lbs and folds up to about 3" thick.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts