GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Special Administrator "Internal Affairs" To Facili
6,944 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am not going to mention my pics yet because some of them will most likely be the same as Murgie and Ohiowinger. I will let them post first. This could be a good thread to learn some good roads. I have ridden very little in PA.. I have ridden a little in southern IN but would have trouble remembering the route numbers.
Come on guys share those good roads. This is a chance for us all to learn some new good roads.

·
Registered
4,665 Posts
​I have run the triple nickel #555. It was kinda neat!:thumbup:

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
Are you sure you want to give out the best ones? :lol: heck, you have kept a few from me. Just sayin

·
Registered
872 Posts
The only time I rode 555 was a week after they put down the tar & chips

·
6,944 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Are you sure you want to give out the best ones? :lol: heck, you have kept a few from me. Just sayin
LOL You eventually get to know them!

·
Registered
3,610 Posts
Come on guys share those good roads. This is a chance for us all to learn some new good roads.
Part of one of my favorite routes to take during my frequent IBA SS1000 rides includes getting onto I-71, from I-75, just south of Cincinnatti and heading for Nashville before turning around and heading back the same way.

The portion between Cincy and Louisville, KY is the most scenic because it runs along the Ohio River Valley over mountains and into valleys. In the fall, the colors are outstanding.

In some places you can see where you will be in 15 minutes.

gramps

·
Registered
410 Posts
WVa

I sure enjoy RT. 16 in West Va.

·
DSI Keeper
9,158 Posts
I sure enjoy RT. 16 in West Va.
Good taste! :thumbup:

WV

Also, put me in for WV RTs 20, 7, 47, 88, 98 and many, many more. Just about any road in WV is fun. Even I-77 turnpike is fun if you bump up the speed a bit. Only interstate I ever scraped a peg on. Alas, this winter has destroyed almost all the roads.

KY

Eastern KY is great area to ride in. Very rural, meaning light traffic. Roads are almost always in great condition. Like Don said, KY160 is a blast. It crosses the highest point in KY so that means it gets more snow, meaning more sand and gravel. Best to leave the road for later in the riding season. In this great state of KY are also some of the shortest passing zones I have ever seen. Short as perhaps 2 or 3 broken lines. Cool!

IN

Found Rt 62 north out of Madison IN this year, it was a great road for a state as Indiana. Folks in that state where definitely not comfortable driving on curvy roads.

PA

PA, well while PA has many curvy roads, I have found most all of them in such bad shape to enjoy the road, much less pushing the bike in the twisties to play. Even the four lanes are never in what I call in good shape. Coming home on military leave, driving my cage, in the 70's hit bumps on the turnpike (I-70) so hard, it cracked my windshield.

·
Registered
3,988 Posts
If limited to only one per state - here are mine

Indiana
Route 262 from Dillsboro to Rising Sun

Kentucky
Route 227 from Owenton thru Stamping Ground and into Georgetown

West Virginia
Route 16

:thumbup:

·
6,944 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If limited to only one per state - here are mine

Indiana
Route 262 from Dillsboro to Rising Sun

Kentucky
Route 227 from Owenton thru Stamping Ground and into Georgetown

West Virginia
Route 16

:thumbup:
My bad Jim. It should have said roadS. This is a chance to share those good roads and a chance to maybe learn some new ones.

In KY like Murgie and Ohiowinger said route 160 south of Cumberland Ky running into Va. It is very good. Route 32 from route 7 East and hit route 173 South. And if you want some good scenery too take route 711 off 173. Warning, 711 is a very narrow road and in some places has no lines. This is a picture from 711.

WV has many good roads and it would be hard to pic one. Route 60 has some good spots in it. I lived in WV for about seven years just out of Hurricane and while there I always like to travel Route 34 from Winfield to Kenna.

·
Registered
8,544 Posts
My bad Jim. It should have said roadS. This is a chance to share those good roads and a chance to maybe learn some new ones.

In KY like Murgie and Ohiowinger said route 160 south of Cumberland Ky running into Va. It is very good. Route 32 from route 7 East and hit route 173 South. And if you want some good scenery too take route 711 off 173. Warning, 711 is a very narrow road and in some places has no lines. This is a picture from 711.

WV has many good roads and it would be hard to pic one. Route 60 has some good spots in it. I lived in WV for about seven years just out of Hurricane and while there I always like to travel Route 34 from Winfield to Kenna.
Clearly, I have NOT been on my bike enough. You guys are makin' me drool. :bow:
thecruiser

·
6,944 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Clearly, I have NOT been on my bike enough. You guys are makin' me drool. :bow:
thecruiser

You just stay down there in the sand pile you flatlander!! :twisted::lol::lol::lol: You'll have to spend some time in the area so we can show you some roads.

·
Registered
8,544 Posts
You just stay down there in the sand pile you flatlander!! :twisted::lol::lol::lol: You'll have to spend some time in the area so we can show you some roads.
Nice guy, Tom... but I'm sure your G-kids like you anyway.
I'd send ya a picture of the sun but with all the snow you got, it might blind you.
thecruiser

·
6,944 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Tom, you made me think of two route in the Daniel Boone National Forest on our first darkside ride in. KY77 and KY 715

Nada Tunnel is on 77
Dave!!! SHHHHHH!!!! Don't tell Ohiowinger about those roads. I don't think he has been there yet. :lol:

Another good KY road is route 89 south of Irvine through Mckee all the way down to where it dead ends into route 490. It has some spots that are narrow with no lines.

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
Dave,

Tom, keeps most of the good roads to his self. :lol: I need to ride down that way once the roads clear up. I have not been through the Nada Tunnel.....yet.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts