GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I ordered the mirror housing and the lense for my baby. 2 questions one is does anyone have any wisdom on replacing this stuff? The second question is I want to take a trip hopefully soon on this bike and want a way to charge my ipod and phone anyone have a good product and better yet the best location to put it? Any advice is wecome thanks to all of you in advance

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
wow

70 views not one reply?

·
Registered
86 Posts
I believe I had to take the front fairing off to get to the three phillips screws holding the mirror on. Take care to hold the screws as you remove them, it's a bear to find a screw dropped inside the fairings. Replacement is straight forward once the front fairing is off. Watch for the turn signal plug when you remove the assembly, be sure to plug it back in during the re-install and check operation before you button up.

I installed a 12V power outlet in the front wall of the left pocket, pulled the power from a key-switched circuit plug that I found amoung the bundle of wires in the area that was not used. The bulk of the power outlet protrudes into the space forward of the pocket.

·
Registered
4,653 Posts
For charging versatility, I recommend a cigar lighter socket in the lid of the trunk from EC.http://www.directlineparts.com/product.asp?pid=1832&str=4 then use a plug with USB socket and the necessary cable to the device. You can use a "Y" to give two outlets if needed. Do not attempt to use this one for high current loads like an air compressor, though.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
I replaced the right mirror housing on my 07,by just pulling the rubber boot back ,and taking out the three screws.
I keep a tape wrapped magnet below where i'm working ,so if i drop a screw,it usually catches it.
I always magnetize my screwdriver first also.

·
Firm Member
3,159 Posts
You only need to pull the rubber boot back to get at the three screws. You also may have to bend the mirror back or forward to make it easier.
Before you do any removal of the screws, take old rags and stuff them in the open areas below so if you do drop a screw, which is easy to do, it won't fall into the Honda Black Hole, never to be retrieved.
(Actually you can take off the inner fairing and find most of the dropped parts.)
Good Luck!

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
OK stupid question yet again

So I take off the housing I assume the mirror comes with it how to I put the old mirror into the new housing? Am I missing something here?

·
Registered
804 Posts
For charging versatility, I recommend a cigar lighter socket in the lid of the trunk from EC.http://www.directlineparts.com/product.asp?pid=1832&str=4 then use a plug with USB socket and the necessary cable to the device. You can use a "Y" to give two outlets if needed. Do not attempt to use this one for high current loads like an air compressor, though.
Ditto!:thumbup: I have the same setup and it works well. Good luck!

·
Registered
178 Posts
you will see once you get the new one there is one screw in the bottom that holds the mirror. It is easy to do, I replaced both on a wrecked bike I bought they were $213.00 a piece but it is nice to just bolt on and not have to paint.

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
Electrical connection sells an Ipod charger/dock connector that hooks into the AUX cable under the front left pocket. I installed mine in the trunk, rank an extension cord up to the aux port. I put the iPod in the pocket of my trunk organizer to protect it and keep it accessible. Got an iPod remote from ABT and velcro'd it to the top of the left handlebar button array where I could get to it without letting go.. Works like a champ.

Or you can just run the iPod directly into the AUX connector. Then you have to worry about setting the volume on the iPod to the right level. Through the dock, it's line level so you don't have to worry about matching up the iPod volume with the bike volume.

Either way you still need to either mount it someplace that you can get to it, or use a remote control.

I've had the Soundgate and J&M CD changer interfaces on my '05, and both units either locked up stupidly often, requiring either the unit to be unplugged and reset, or in the case of the J&M, it would lock up the radio and require the battery to be unplugged to allow it to reset...

·
Registered
999 Posts
I second that - air compressor ran for exactly 0.5 seconds using this plug.... one of these days I'll get around to changing the fuse....

1 - 11 of 11 Posts