GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
938 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Too lazy to RTFM so here's my questions.
I have an 08 and now that we have had one day of rain this year I started to think I should treat the seat. Is Mink oil ok? I have used MO on other leather seats but just wanted to make sure it's ok to use on a GL1800 seat. It is leather isn't it?

·
IronMan
17,451 Posts
IF ITS STOCK ITS PLEATHER :lol::roll::roll: WASTING YOUR MONEY ON MINK OIL PUT SOME VINYL CONDITIONER ON IT. SURE SOME WILL CHIME IN ON WHAT THEY USE .

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
The stock seats are not leather. Mink oil will just make a messy oily dust/dirt magnet. I'd look for a handy vinyl cleaner/protector, more power to it for UV protection.

·
Vendor
17,355 Posts
I would use nothing other then soap and water on the seat and all other black peices on the Wing.

·
Registered
7,797 Posts
A product called "303 Aerospace Protectant" is the best thing I have found for cleaning and protecting all the vinyl, rubber and plastic parts on the bike.

I keep one of these 8oz bottles in a saddlebag. LINK

A snippet from their website...

303 Aerospace Protectant is a beautifying liquid sunscreen, the routine use of which keeps vinyl looking like new while dramatically extending its useful life. 303 contains no petrochemicals, silicone oils or petroleum distillates. 303 is not a build-up product. 303 treated surfaces dissipate heat normally.

303 is not oily or greasy and does not attract dust. In fact, 303 treated vinyl repels dust, dirt and stains, stays cleaner longer and is much easier to clean when finally soiled. Since 303 contains a tested-safe-for-vinyl cleaner and is a cleaner and protector combined, pre-cleaners and pre-cleaning usually are not required.

303 has been tested and is recommended by major vinyl and vinyl accessory manufacturers. As the leader in UV screening technology since 1980, 303 is the most powerful UV screening treatment available for vinyl, leather, rubber, gelcoat fiberglass, and most plastics. Regular use of 303 can reduce UV caused slow-fade up to 100%

·
Registered
5,260 Posts
You really do need to protect the vinyl and other black parts from UV rays unless you prefer grey.

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
The seat is modern plastic called vinyl. Take your pick there are thousands of products that protect things from the sun, but each time you clean up your bike you really should use something on the fake leather and all the fake rubber things like the mirror covers and all that stuff.

·
Registered
928 Posts
I too use the 303 protectant and it works like a charm. Like everything else it won't last forever, but like it was said, you really need something to keep the black parts looking good. Got mine at Amazon and they had about the best price. Good luck with your search.

Ride and polish safely

Crabby Bob

·
Vendor
21,870 Posts
Be very careful about what products you apply to the black plastic surfaces of the bike. Many vinyl cleaners contain alcohol in them and will actually remove the natural oils from plastic and cause it to dry out and get a white color on the surface of it after a few days, and sitting in the sun will accelerate this process. Armor all is probably the worst for this, but there are others out there that are equally as bad.

Greg's advise to just use soap and water is probably the best and you won't go wrong with it. If you insist on using a chemical product on the plastic, be very choosy about which one you use. Plexus and the 303 Aerospace are pretty good, and so is the Honda spray polish. Mothers makes a product called "Back to Black" that seems to work good too.

·
Registered
3,833 Posts
Also,be careful that the vinyl care product you use won't make it very slippery and cause you to slide around on the seat.
I use Maguiar's Tech Protect on most of my vinyl stuff,but not on the seat,because it is very slippery.
Maguiar's has a vinyl cleaner/conditioner that seems to work well on the seat without too much slickness.

·
Registered
938 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ahh... just what I needed to know, thanks gents. I use the 303 on my spa cover but I think I'll stick with soap and water for the wing seat.

Pledge works great for the windshield and all the painted parts.

·
Registered
7,797 Posts
Ahh... just what I needed to know, thanks gents. I use the 303 on my spa cover but I think I'll stick with soap and water for the wing seat.

Pledge works great for the windshield and all the painted parts.
Don't know why, but it's your bike. You might at least give it a try as long as you already have it. It is not slippery like ArmorAll. Mild soap and water is fine for cleaning, but offers zero UV protection.

http://www.autogeek.net/16oz.html

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
I'm with wingleader, 303 Aerospace Protectant. I have used it for a few years and really like it. No slippery seat and you can leave it for a shine or wipe it a second time to have no shine.

·
Registered
938 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Don't know why, but it's your bike. You might at least give it a try as long as you already have it. It is not slippery like ArmorAll. Mild soap and water is fine for cleaning, but offers zero UV protection.

http://www.autogeek.net/16oz.html
Perhaps I should use the ArmorAll so I can hang off the seat in the corners without even trying. ;)

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
When cleaning the bike with Honda spray i always just wipe the seat with it, no cracks or problems and its an 01 model.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts