GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
3,302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
this is based on grip and not tire life so if you ride like an old man this is not the post for you!!!

e-3's---- not enough grip wet or dry,simply not a twisty riders tire

stones-----ft tire is the best tire made for the wing,good grip and milage
rear is good also but wears to quick

metz's-----great tires wet or dry but always might get the wobble!

avons------the ft is just a tick behind the stone,the rear sucks,slides on corner exits by the 1,000 mile mark and lasted 1,000 miles less than the rear metz which did not slide till the last 400 miles!!!

tires of choice for me is a ft stone with a rear metz,great grip and 5,000 mile tire life!!!!

·
Registered
3,809 Posts
ride like a old man there you go talking about me again

·
Registered
19,440 Posts
yellow wolf said:
this is based on grip and not tire life so if you ride like an old man this is not the post for you!!!

avons------the ft is just a tick behind the stone,the rear sucks,slides on corner exits by the 1,000 mile mark and lasted 1,000 miles less than the rear metz which did not slide till the last 400 miles!!!

tires of choice for me is a ft stone with a rear metz,great grip and 5,000 mile tire life!!!!
I bet you don't use the 70s for the rear. I say aggressive riding makes them slide easier.

·
Registered
5,258 Posts
I cannot hold a candle or lighted match or blow torch to YW on riding twisty type roads .........

the E3 on the front of my 1800 (2500 miles) does not feel planted nearly as well as the 709 Stone I wore out

·
Registered
3,302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
tony it really dont matter how fast you ride as long as you have fun!!

i ran a 70 once and wil not again since getting the traxxion set up!!

not that the 70 is not good just dont work for me

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
yellow wolf said:

That's good to know. Now can you give us any idea as to relative llife? Not necessarily how many miles but which lasts the longest on down to the shortest life?

·
Registered
3,302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
hard to say due to riding only twistys

e-3 slid alot so wear was quick,about 4,000 till i got scared of the grip

stone ft lasted 5-6,000 miles and rear 4,500

metz would go 5,000 on reg basis

avon ft about 5,000 and rear was bald at 4,000

·
lightley seasoned member
3,081 Posts
"Ride like an old man"?

John

·
Registered
3,302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
jburd said:
"Ride like an old man"?

John
like a winger,easy on the gas and easy on the brakes
most milage on the hwy due to the fastest way to dairyqueens
never fast in the turns way to scary
bike now weighs 100 lbs more due to safety chrome
never pull right for faster moving bikes because they dont have to

i guess i should have said like an old lady?

·
Registered
17,122 Posts
Wolf; when using your favorite fitment; front 'stone and rear Metz, are you still prone to get the Metz wobble?

Around here the mountain twisties are very prone to have berm gravel sprayed across teh curves due to big trucks trying to cheat around teh curves. I have not used teh Metzelers, but of all the others, the Avons are far ahead in resisting the "side step" one gets on gravel. The gravels still move you over a bit, but its way smoother and predictable with the Avons in my experience. The Dragon is prone to gravel spew too; have you noticed any such differences? Does the rear Metz do well with that? Guess I'm gonna have to try the 'stone/Metz combo to see.

Twisty riding with lots of throttle and engine braking & regular braking does erase the tires FAST.

prs

·
Registered
21,132 Posts
Yellow Wolf, u better get your high speed camera installed, next week Loren and i might stop buy to give u some riding lessons....like how to park at DQ

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
Thanks YW,
I just put on 2 Metzlers. I have a tiny bit of wobble through the handlebars and my wife says that she feels it is more "squirmy" in the rear. I am running 41psi front and 45psi rear.
I'll put it on the center stand and check for irregularities as soon as I can. I wish I had that run-out guage that CJ used on Hedo's tire in Bulldog's garage when we were at CatsCade. It would give me some useable numbers.

If you have any suggestions on what to look for, please post them.

Andy

·
Registered
4,367 Posts
Just put a pencil tip next to the wheel when you spin it. You will easily see any imperfections.

·
Registered
311 Posts
who cares any dumb a** on any tire can go thru the twisties???????????

Which one is best for top speed? :a13:

·
Registered
4,367 Posts
gdaddy said:
who cares any dumb a** on any tire can go thru the twisties???????????

Which one is best for top speed? :a13:
Huh???? GL Top Speed??? I think an old, used bias ply off a 62 VW Bug would be more than adiquate for the top speed of a wing. :wink:

·
Registered
3,302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
with the stone ft and metz rear"4 sets" never had the wobble

nope i film alot of you wingers that like to go strait and nope not any dumb a** can do corners ,ive done plenty of videos so i know!!!

the avons ive run are the new one with the extra belt,remember they dont last long for me at work,still the avon rear would be my 3rd choice behind the metz then the stone

1 - 20 of 50 Posts