GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
806 Posts
Don't know if I could trust a tire that you can see thru on my bike? But I can see where it would be great for certain applications, Military, construction, farming as long as it can handel high horsepower. Who knows it may be the norm someday?

·
Registered
582 Posts
Looks like the way the tire is constructed, having a round type cutout all the way around, would allow leaning without the tread coming very far off of the ground. If they make one to fit the wing, I'll try one...

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
There's no bead!?!?
How does that mount to a rim? Is is some special kind of split rim?

Very cool concept!

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
daver said:
There's no bead!?!?

Very cool concept!
Sorry, Darksiders. The wheel and tire are both flexible. They're fused together as one part called a Tweel. What you see is a prototype designed to show the construction. The actual product will most likely have sidewalls molded on to prevent mud, snow, and other things from packing into the "spokes" and unbalancing the tire. It'll also make the tire look like a normal tire that the public would accept more easily.

Stu

·
Registered
598 Posts
Stu_O said:
Sorry, Darksiders. The wheel and tire are both flexible. They're fused together as one part called a Tweel. What you see is a prototype designed to show the construction. The actual product will most likely have sidewalls molded on to prevent mud, snow, and other things from packing into the "spokes" and unbalancing the tire. It'll also make the tire look like a normal tire that the public would accept more easily.

Stu
Partially correct.
The wheel isn't flexible, but the spokes are, taking the place of the pneumatic chamber to absorb surface irregularities, and of course the tread is likewise flexible.

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
Stu_O said:
daver said:
There's no bead!?!?

Very cool concept!

Stu
D^%$#!!!! I kinda liked the LOOK of an SEE THRU tire!!!! ..chuck

1 - 9 of 9 Posts