GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lately I have been toying with the idea of a second bike. My son will be a senior in high school next year and we have talked about a trip to California from Houston. Ok ... like what teenage boy would not want to do that even with the old man? So I will need a second bike. It could be another wing but there are so many other options.

Lately, I have been hangin' with jjsc6 and couple of his buddies. They ride Hayabusa's, FJR's and BMW's. Jim and I sometimes go out on the wings as well. Most the time I can keep up with the group on the wing but occasionally I overdrive the wings capability, I did a lot of scraping and banging yesterday. For this reason I have been thinking about a sport or sport tourer. I really like what I've seen with the new Concours ZX-14.

On the other hand, my long time riding buddy has a cruiser (VTX1800) an that has some appeal to me. Or justa harley, which from the image seems to epitomize motorcycle's which would probably be a great bike to ride from place to place around town.

Then again, a BMW has been the image of top of the line quality and workmanship since I can remember being involved with motorcycles. I met one of the candidates for govenor of Alaska last year, in 1965 he was the first person to ride a motorcycle from Prudhoe Bay to Terra del fuego, South America, over 18000 miles, he rode a BMW. I have been really toying with the idea that sometime in the futue of riding down into South America maybe to Terra del fuego. I know some folks who work down there, they say the main obstacle is the roads not the bandito's.

So, what would your second choice be and more importantly why?

·
Registered
21,329 Posts
the dual purpose bikes look interesting but i have a feeling i just wouldn't use it enough to make it worthwhile, but i keep thinking about it

·
Squating Member
7,055 Posts
Good question...with so many good bikes out there, it's a hard choice..

I'd also like a 2nd bike, a ME bike if you will. I like the idea of a sport touring, FJR, ST1300, even a good ST100...then again, there's still a little HD in me, a FXLR again???that was a favorite HD. A dual sport would be cool, but I can't get on one ( too damn tall)....

A lot of good choices....living so close to the Smokey's, a Good ST would be my best choice, or maybe that HD, or an old dirt bike, or,,

·
Registered
164 Posts
If I was to go with a second bike, OK an eighth bike :roll: , I would really consider a sport touring type. Like the FJR, VFR, ZX-14 Or Busa. I had an FJR and really regret selling it. It was a wonderful bike that handled fairly good (compared to my Ducati) and was very comfortable to ride with a great power band. I liked the FJR as it came with saddle bags for trips or they easily removed for the stripped down look. If you will notice I left out the BMW. The reason behind this is only that the last one I had (2004 1150GS) gave me trouble all of the time and the maintenance cost compared to the others on the list was outrages. They do make wonderful bikes, or so I am told, Not my experience, however. :?

Just my $.02.

Cheers.
Marc

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Hello Joe,
who's going to be riding the motorcycle,you or your Son? How long has he been around motorcycles? Does he now ride a street motorcycle? What does he want to ride across Country?
I'll agree that in 1965 the BMW would have been the best choice for a trip from Alaska to Tierra del Fuego,but today there are many more motorcycles available up to that trip.
If I did not have my Wing, what would I want to ride?
1. Honda Valkerie,any model
2. Honda ST 1300
3. Yamaha FJR
4. Yamaha Royal Star
If I was 18, I'd be happy to ride anything on a trip like that,especially with my Dad!!! :D
Enjoy your adventure,
the hobo

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
8) This sure seems to be a pretty common dilemma. Thanks for posting it. I have been looking at the same thing lately. Wings a great bike for long rides, okay on around town stuff, but not as fun as something might be if it was a bit smaller, with huge horsepower. My wife has a VTX1800, nice bike, but I want something different. I have been looking hard at the FJRs and Busa's, except the seating is hard for me (big gut). I would probably be happier with something a little less radical, but I tend to look at extreme ends of the spectrum. Neat problem, let us know what you decide to do.

·
Registered
2,675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
hobo said:
Hello Joe,
who's going to be riding the motorcycle,you or your Son? How long has he been around motorcycles? Does he now ride a street motorcycle? What does he want to ride across Country?
I'll agree that in 1965 the BMW would have been the best choice for a trip from Alaska to Tierra del Fuego,but today there are many more motorcycles available up to that trip.
If I did not have my Wing, what would I want to ride?
1. Honda Valkerie,any model
2. Honda ST 1300
3. Yamaha FJR
4. Yamaha Royal Star
If I was 18, I'd be happy to ride anything on a trip like that,especially with my Dad!!! :D
Enjoy your adventure,
the hobo
Hobo;

He has never ridden, but we will be getting him some training a little experience and riding. I will be riding with him at all times. Like you said I think he will be happy to ride anything so this will likely be my second. I have told him, he can ride with me, but if he is interested in motorcycling without me, he is going to have to be responsible enough to buy his own bike. He seems to understand.

Based on some of your responses, I think there is a lot of interest in a second or eight bike out there.

Joe

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
2nd bike

A Valk Tourer.

·
Banned
4,623 Posts
All of my boys took a trip with me when they turned 16 and got their license, I had an old Virago and they would take it. One of the boys had another boy go along on his own Yamaha. I always rode the wing and pulled the trailer. Each trip was a minimum of 5000 miles and they had to plan it out. Great times back then

Do it !!! 8)

·
Registered
5,173 Posts
Joe, I got quite a chuckle out of reading this. First - ya'll should know that Joe can really ride the Goldwing. There was only one road that a couple of us put any distance on him.

Joe - I really had planned to let you ride the FJR a little yesterday, and I apologize we didn't swap for a while. You are welcome to ride it next time we go out.

Another question I have is what you want in the way of wind protection. There are some pretty damn good "naked" bikes that would save some money and give a heck of a lot of bang for the buck. There are some great deals to be had on bikes like a used FZ1 or an Interceptor or something like that.

·
Registered
2,675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
jjsC6 said:
Joe, I got quite a chuckle out of reading this. First - ya'll should know that Joe can really ride the Goldwing. There was only one road that a couple of us put any distance on him.

Joe - I really had planned to let you ride the FJR a little yesterday, and I apologize we didn't swap for a while. You are welcome to ride it next time we go out.

Another question I have is what you want in the way of wind protection. There are some pretty damn good "naked" bikes that would save some money and give a heck of a lot of bang for the buck. There are some great deals to be had on bikes like a used FZ1 or an Interceptor or something like that.
Jim, thanks for the kind words. I would have been glad to trade, especially on the ride into Fayetteville when I was running on fumes :D I am thinking that if I intend on running it any distance I would like to have some wind protection.

It has been many years since I rode a naked bike, but what I remember is saying is that I will never ride another bike without some wind protection. The FJR looks like a good compromise between wind protection, performance and cost.

·
Registered
50 Posts
All I can advise you on is the BMW. I bought a new 2001 RT and it rode like a bicycle and required a lot of service costing big bucks. It took me 2 years to sale it and lost half of what I paid. Not a good investment.

·
Registered
147 Posts
FJR

I am currently doing this with my 19 year old son. We've been to Arkansas and back from Fort Worth, TX and on lots of day trips. My second bike is a little long in the tooth, a 1990 FJ 1200. If I bought another new bike tomorrow it would probably be a FJR. I have a friend with one and they look like great sport touring bike that's a little on the more agressive side than the ST1300. Of course the new connie looks aweful tempting as well and can't wait to see it when it's released.

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
If I had money to burn, I might get a Valk Interstate, because it's the one that reminds me most of my GL1100's. But I'd still probably ride the Wing all or most of the time, and keep the Valk around to look at...

·
Registered
234 Posts
Me too

My son just turned 16 - my thoughts are a year of driving a car - then basic MSF and start doing some riding - then we are planning a big trip after he graduates probably to Banff and around there.

Just found him (a little early!) a used 2006 BMW F650GS with 1700 miles on ebay - even with shipping got it for about 1K under book. I'll enjoy finishing the break in and playing with it (and learning on the "Chain gang" discussion group).

Of course - the next politicking will be for my BMW 1200 GS!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.