GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Amity and I just returned from a great Saturday ride to New Smyrna Beach for lunch and back. All the way through Ocala National Forest, there were guys along the road in pick-up trucks with dog cages in the back. They were just kinda standing around the trucks, but there were sure lots of them. Some of the dog cages were empty, others had dogs in them. One truck had a "fighting" chair mounted in the bed, just like a bass boat. We saw one guy with a "beam" style antenna in his hand and he was scanning the Forest with it. We could see other trucks way back in the forest. What are they doing/hunting? I gotta know.

·
Registered
5,252 Posts
Jan Kokochak said:
Amity and I just returned from a great Saturday ride to New Smyrna Beach for lunch and back. All the way through Ocala National Forest, there were guys along the road in pick-up trucks with dog cages in the back. They were just kinda standing around the trucks, but there were sure lots of them. Some of the dog cages were empty, others had dogs in them. One truck had a "fighting" chair mounted in the bed, just like a bass boat. We saw one guy with a "beam" style antenna in his hand and he was scanning the Forest with it. We could see other trucks way back in the forest. What are they doing/hunting? I gotta know.
Looking for a guy named Hal who broke one of the mirrors on their buddy's car a few weeks ago??

·
Registered
179 Posts
Just from what you described that would be my bet. Im just not sure what would be in season. Deer or Bear maybe !

·
Registered
25 Posts
The guy with the antenna was tracking his dog(s). The dogs will run whatever they're chasing back towards the truck. Why walk while hunting when you can let the dogs chase it to you. We used to see them doing that around here until they tore down all the woods to build houses.

·
Chard Member
13,051 Posts
Caution..... Be careful when you see these guys running dogs. The dogs will disturb everything in the woods possibly sending animals into the roads. Deer, bear, and hogs will all ruin your day if you hit them with a bike.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Just did that ride last week...saw a bunch of guys with dogs as well as dogs without guys...assumed they were looking for boar but who knows! Great ride though.

·
Registered
882 Posts
They were deer hunting.what they were doing at the time was catching the dogs. the dogs have electronic tracking collars on them.the guy holding the metal pole .that was the antena tracking the dog,s.the dog,s were somewhere in that block of wood,s the other hunter,s were sourronding the block of wood.s and when the dogs cross the road they pick them up.the reason most of them were by the highway thay do,t want the dog,s to get run over.The seat on the dog box is when they turn the dog,s out to run a deer .they surrond the block of wood,s sit on the dog box wait till the dog,s run the deer to them then shoot it.

·
Registered
882 Posts
Ther,s really a lot more to it but that is the jest of it. :lol:

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
kennyc said:
They were deer hunting...
:shock:

Let's see...relax in the back of a pick-up truck, listen to tunes, slug down a couple cold ones, watch for a deer being chased out of the woods by a pack of dogs and then blast said deer before the dogs chew it to pieces.

Now that's real huntin'...

·
Registered
882 Posts
Yep. But you can,t turn the tune,s up loud or u can,t hear the dog,s . and be carful u don,t dose off,your cold one will get hot.

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
DT said:
kennyc said:
They were deer hunting...
:shock:

Let's see...relax in the back of a pick-up truck, listen to tunes, slug down a couple cold ones, watch for a deer being chased out of the woods by a pack of dogs and then blast said deer before the dogs chew it to pieces.

Now that's real huntin'...

Yeah.....that's real sporting isn't it. Hope they don't call themselves "hunters" :roll:

·
Registered
679 Posts
Yeh, they're real sportsmen, all right. I met one in the Sears I work parttime in whose feat was detailed in what passes for a newspaper hereabouts (about 20 miles from Jan). Seems he was huntin' with a muzzle loader for anything stoopid enough to blunder past his tree stand. He apparently dozed off after a few adult beverages and fell out of the tree stand. Says he doesn't like safety harnesses, and still refuses to use one. He broke his muzzle loader in half (a good thing) and also his arm.

Ride long and safe..and stay outa the woods at this time of year..too many "sportsmen" about.

John
ETC (SW) USN ret
The Sabre Group ret
EDS ret
'06 GL18HPNAC6

·
Registered
55 Posts
What kind of sport can you find riding in the back of a truck drinking Pabst Blue Ribbon, burping, and dribbling chew on your belly while dogs run deer out to you? That's not hunting, that's just a bunch of red-necks having a day of getting drunk and killing something. Geesshhhhh

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Red said:
Caution..... Be careful when you see these guys running dogs. The dogs will disturb everything in the woods possibly sending animals into the roads. Deer, bear, and hogs will all ruin your day if you hit them with a bike.
I think this is the most important information I got on this thread. I knew they were hunting something, but it never occured to me that there would be a higher risk on the highway as a result. Red, that is clear thinking and great advice. Thanks for helping me learn one more important safety lesson. :bow:

·
Registered
606 Posts
Wow! You missed the chance to see Burt Reynolds! They're filming a remake of Deliverance. (Maybe it's good that you didn't stop) :oops: :oops:

·
Registered
4,012 Posts
Just make sure "you" aren't wearing antlers! :lol:

·
Dangerous Old Lady Biker
5,677 Posts
I was up there a few weeks ago looking at property...this guy in complete hunting regalia sutmbles out of his truck (hiddden across the street behind some trees)...and claims he was hunting too...in a rural residential area...kinda changed my mind about THAT piece of property...yes they will chase all the critters out...there was a deer down the street from where we were standing, and the dopey guy was going to get his gun...like I said it was a rural residential area and reminded him there were kids playing up there road...then I quickly departed...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts