GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was at the shop the other day looking at getting some new tires and the tire guy asked how many miles I had on the bike and I told him a little over 20K. Well he said I need to replace the fork springs before putting on new tires. He said that the stock springs will start sagging at around the milage I have on the bike :roll: . I figured the stockers should last a little longer than that shouldn't they? Too the guys that have changed out to the progressives have you noticed any better ride or handlng? Dave

·
Registered
4,863 Posts
Dave - did you walk out of that dealership with a slight limp since one of your legs had been pulled and was a little longer?

DaleC

P.S. Now there is no reason not to get a new set of progressive springs now for your Wing and it will probably improve your ride, but that's not to say your existing springs are shot and you have to at 20,000 miles.

·
Registered
759 Posts
I had my front and rear springs changed to progressive springs at the past wing ding. Did it improve handling? well, let me say this, it is now a totally different bike for the better. Handling, comfort were vastly improved. I made the change at 17,000 on the odometer. The ride home from wing ding, using the same roads, was like night and day difference for the better. If you want to improve the bike's handling, progressive is the answer. And not just for attacking twisties. Just the cruise will be so improved, you would think you purchashed a totally new bike.

·
Registered
2,657 Posts
All springs sag with age & use but Honda's OEM units seem to do it much sooner than most. If in doubt about your springs go to units from Progerssive or other non OEM supplier, they tend to have much better metal and last far longer. One big differance with the Progerssive Brand is that they are a pregessive type spring and give you more comfort plus better tracking.

Jerry

·
Chard Member
13,072 Posts
My front OEM springs took a big dump at 25,000 miles. They sagged so bad I had no headlight adjustment left. My lights were going straight into the ground. I had Progressive fronts installed and it must have raised me over a inch at the seat. Probably raised the front 1 1/2"s. I like them.

·
Registered
21,091 Posts
Ironbutt Ken said:
If the springs are shot at 20,000 they should be replaced under warranty.
that sounds like the rite answer to me.

·
Registered
2,306 Posts
If the springs are shot at 20,000 they should be replaced under warranty.

:lol: LOL!! :lol:

Yea right............just try explain that to the dealer and get Honda to cover it.

Next joke.................

·
Registered
759 Posts
its no joke..it is a fact....springs have been replaced under warranty. I personally know of two sets that were replaced under warranty.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts