GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4,376 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My rear OEM tire won't last the remainder of the riding season. So, I'm now in the final stages of making my mind up. To C/T or not to C/T. Right now I'm 99.9% sure I will C/T.

This morning I have scanned several threads and they get way too technical for my nontechnical brain. So, if it is possible, I would appreciate some information without all the technical stuff.

The biggest motivator for me to get a C/T is the run flat aspect/option. Other than one week a year, I run two up. The mileage one can get on a C/T is like icing on the cake but not much of a motivator. I've had a few flats, all on the rear, with my wife on and none of these flats were at the best of times (Murphys Law). About 95% of my riding is on the Interstate system and we usually run heavy (a filled Pakitrack, luggage rack bag filled, saddlebags filled (probably over filled) and every other little space filled to capacity). I am about 250 lbs and my wife is about 150 (she's going to kill me if she sees that). I usually travel at 3 - 5 MPH over the posted limit but occasionally like to take it to 100+ zone for very short periods. Most of my riding is long distance. It is not unusual for us to go 500 - 700+ a day. I'm riding an 08 with the Amp in the rear wheel well. I'd like to correct the speedo error but it isn't that important as I do use a Zumo for the MP3 and speedo.

So, with that little biography, what do you guys and gals think? What is the best brand, size, pressure for us and where should I buy? I'm probably going to order/purchase within a month.

BTW, I know I could get a lot of different opinions with this type of question. It's the nature of the beast. I'd like to get several points of view and then I can decide. I'll let you know what my decision is.

Thanks in advance for responses.

·
Registered
796 Posts
And the smarter ones are on the Kumho. ;) But seriously, there are at least 6 good choices that are being used. Pick one that people are using and get it on the bike and ride. I would recommend a runflat for you, but otherwise just pick your tire and get out there!

·
Registered
9,393 Posts
Any of the 195-55 Run Flats will do you great. Probably the best mileage will come from a Dunlop 3D Wintersport DSST or a Khumo Ecsta RF.

Considering your riding style and needs, you're a perfect fit for the Wing on a CT. :thumbup:

·
Registered
68 Posts
I went Darkside today! Like you thought about it awhile bought spare take off mounted a Kumo today. Pit Bull lift made it less of a hassle for me to install by myself.Rode 100 miles today am happy to say the least!

·
Registered
2,918 Posts
Welcome to the DARKSIDE easye....... :flg:
Don't forget to get your # an Decal....

·
Registered
68 Posts
Welcome easye, you might as well sell that MT rim. As you are finding out, you may only use it for a spare. Give me a holler if you want one of those famous one of a kind dsi number with that smile.
I would like to get a # and a sticker too thanks easye

·
Registered
796 Posts
I went Darkside today! Like you thought about it awhile bought spare take off mounted a Kumo today. Pit Bull lift made it less of a hassle for me to install by myself.Rode 100 miles today am happy to say the least!
Welcome to the darkside, you will love the tire and the ride....

·
Registered
4,376 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ordered mine about 5 minutes ago from tirerack.com. Ordered 195/55R16 Kumho Ecsta SPT XRP RunFlat. Did a little shipping around and tirerack.com had the best price that I could find. $168.15 delivered. Should be here on Tuesday or Wednesday.

My rear OEM tire is still holding it's own. But, I am ready if I need to change it. I'm actually excited about putting it on. Don't know if I will/can wait.

·
Registered
4,262 Posts
Ordered mine about 5 minutes ago from tirerack.com. Ordered 195/55R16 Kumho Ecsta SPT XRP RunFlat. Did a little shipping around and tirerack.com had the best price that I could find. $168.15 delivered. Should be here on Tuesday or Wednesday.

My rear OEM tire is still holding it's own. But, I am ready if I need to change it. I'm actually excited about putting it on. Don't know if I will/can wait.
I put that tire on about a month ago and it is OUTSTANDING! You should be VERY pleased with the improvement.

·
Registered
4,376 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I put that tire on about a month ago and it is OUTSTANDING! You should be VERY pleased with the improvement.
Thank you, I'm sure I will.

As I am not a greasemonkey and know diddley about tires, is there only one way/direction of travel that the tire should go on like a M/C tire? I'm 99% sure that there isn't, but I just want to make sure.

·
Grumpy Fart
5,109 Posts
Thank you, I'm sure I will.

As I am not a greasemonkey and know diddley about tires, is there only one way/direction of travel that the tire should go on like a M/C tire? I'm 99% sure that there isn't, but I just want to make sure.
There should be a direction arrow on the sidewall. If not, mount it such that the point of the v (tread design) makes contact first, like a tractor tire. >>>>>>>> --->. The footprint (tire track that is left in sand) will have the points of the v going the opposite direction of travel.

·
Registered
4,376 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I think this tire is directional and will be marked on the sidewall with a rotation arrow.
There should be a direction arrow on the sidewall. If not, mount it such that the point of the v (tread design) makes contact first, like a tractor tire. >>>>>>>> --->. The footprint (tire track that is left in sand) will have the points of the v going the opposite direction of travel.
Good advice. This is the only symbol that I found on the side wall that looks remotely like a directional arrow. There is one on the other side pointing in the opposite direction (which contributes to my confusion):

My finger is pointing to a tread that is cut at an angle (it is hard to tell in this pic.), I just think it is unusual and I like it. The tread is pointing to the top (north) of this picture. So, Hunzee, if I understand you, the threads should be placed so that the top of the threads should hit the ground first.

NEVER MIND, I found the rotation arrows. All is cool.

·
Registered
4,376 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
What gave it away?? The word 'Rotation'?? :joke:

Glad you have it figured out now.
:lol::lol::lol: To be honest, YES. I was looking at the picture and noticed the word "Rotation" and immediately got up to go out and look at it. Yep, it was the biggest lettering on the tire. I was looking too hard at the shiney part of the tire, closer to the bead. :oops::oops:

Thanks everyone!!!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts