GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife just bought me a Garmin 2610 GPS. It has the 128 mb card and a cd of version 7 North America City Navigator. So what do I need, or will this work as is? :roll:

·
Squating Member
7,058 Posts
Sure will, only 128 meg will not hold all of the USA, you'll need 2gb for that.

·
Registered
3,843 Posts
If she bought it from a dealer and you have a receipt, then you are entitled to Mapsource V. 8. You have to contackt garmin to get the disk and then the unlock codes. All the maps are about 1.5 gigs so the 2 gig card is necessary if you want to load all the maps onto the unit itself.

·
Registered
9,099 Posts
Had one of those. First, a bigger Compact Flash card. A 1GB will do it, does not take the entire US, but will cover anything within a couple of thousand miles. You live in Ohio, dont need west coast for 99% of the trips. Add it later if you take a longer trip. And V7 will work, just that V8 has more current information.

2nd, a mount. Someplace to put it where you like it. Dash, handlebar, reserivor, there are lots of mounts avail. Hoon Hardware makes one for the brake or clutch, Jon from cyclegadgets makes one for the dash, and there are many others. You will want to be able to see it and touch it also. I always tried to make it visable to Carol so she could watch for turns.

With a 2610, a sunshade is a good idea for bright sunny days. They wash out under the sun somewhat.

My first mount was on the clutch reservior, first as a GPS-V then a 2610. Same mount.

Then I moved it to the dash, and later changed from the 2610 to a 2730. Same mount.

Just depends on where you want it. They are really good units.

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
The memory that came with the unit will store around 5 to 7 states. This is all right for local. I run my 2610 through the intercom along with my radar detector with the Kennedy setup. Works great. I run my XM through the aux. Call Kennedy they are very helpful.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Call Jon, he has all the stuff and in great about helping with all your needs.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
I just got a 2610 as well.
I have New England, Nova Scotia, upper New York and Penn. on the 128 card.
I figure that will take me through this summer and then I can decide if I want to put in a bigger card.

By the way guys.........
Can I remove a map from the unit once it is in there?

I have been playing with the software all week and have gotten pretty good at mapping out routes.
I had my buddy drive his truck while I played with the GPS and found that to really let me learn how to use it faster.
goldwinggadgets.com is definately the place to go for all your wiring needs.

·
Registered
9,099 Posts
EXCUSE ME???? It's not 'bmwgadgets' - it's GOLDWINGGADGETS
OMG - Sorry, Jon. :bow:
Guess I got you mixed up with that turncoat Beemer Driver that went with us on the Chiliburger. Must be the hair-do..... :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
4,157 Posts
R.K. MA.3 George said:
By the way guys.........
Can I remove a map from the unit once it is in there?
Yes. You can always update the maps with different ones. Just plan your route and let Mapsource select the necessary maps. Then load it on the card. CF cards are so cheep though, you can upgrade to a 2G for less than $30.

Here's one for $23 CF card @ New Egg.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts