GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...to those living in the snowbelt regions, I'm in southern Ontario,
who's changed their mind after winterizing their 'wings for
storage and now, with this cold, but no snow weather, have taken
their bikes out for the occassional ride?

·
Registered
8,339 Posts
I didn't even bother to winterize. I went out on Christmas eve and rode for a while. And I will every chance I get. As long as the roads are dry... 8)

G

·
No mind to change here either. I never "Winterize" my bike as I ride all year, pending snow on the roads. I ride to work every day it isn't raining, snowing or below about 25 degrees. Took a Christmas and New Years ride 8) !

Just today I had two new E3s mounted and I'm riding tomorrow. Supposed to be 51 degrees! Winter?...so far this year, it was way over-rated. :wink:

·
Registered
12,417 Posts
All we have to do is pull out the battery tender cord, refuel to full when we get home, plug the tender back in and clean the bike.

Not much to do if we want to go for a ride.

Ahhh ummm one problem. The salt is still 1" thick on the road.

dawg

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
I only had one day bewteen blizzards that it was clear enough to ride well traveled roads. It was still pretty cold...so much so that one of my tulsa mirror wing busted WHILE I was riding!

G

·
Bulldog said:
This would do me in real quick when deciding to go riding this time of year, but good news, no salt on our roads, temps in the 50's next two days.

BUT.......... my X-mas decorations need to be packed away before I can get at the 1800. Tons of boxes around it.........That's my wife's plan, to hide my ride until my honey-do list is complete.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Here in West Michigan the weather has been snow free since early December. Great for riding, skiing sucks.
I rode Christmas eve and Christmas day, last week Thursday and New Years Day.

There have been quite a few bikes out most days. I think winterizing is out for this winter.

Put the skis away and gas her up :D

·
Registered
43 Posts
Yes! I was riding with some friends on the last day of the year when the needle dipped below 60 deg and ... oops, wrong thread ( :wink: )

·
Registered
4,934 Posts
Rode 160 miles for our New Years day get together here in Michigan.

Funny thing is that with the little bit of drizzle we had there were no other bikes out there. Last year I saw a bunch.

Last year the only month I did not ride was September, and that was because I was building a new front porch. :cry:

·
Registered
637 Posts
There's no snow here either, but like Bulldog's area, they keep salting the roads. It's been raining a lot and the roads are constantly wet...and white.

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
If we have no snow by Jan 4th it will break a record set in 1887...I was unaware they had global warming back then as well!!

Never winterize...ride all year long here.

·
Registered
5,528 Posts
Bulldog said:
All we have to do is pull out the battery tender cord, refuel to full when we get home, plug the tender back in and clean the bike.

Not much to do if we want to go for a ride.

dawg
dawg, That is the problem around here. SALT... We have to have some highway employees who need overtime or are tired of playing cards in the garage :wink: :wink:

The latest hype around here is the liquid salt they put on bridges. When they first apply it, it can be very slippery under just two tires. Pucker factor 10+++

I have to cross one bridge that has a curve in it. I have to watch and make sure they just didn't put some on. I have seen cars slip and slide on it.

Ross

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Id ride if I could but we live on a dirt road and it is about 1/8th of a mile from the paved road to ours. While it is not much...Im stil paranoid about the packed ice. Also, the bike is in a shed and there is a good bit of snow between that and the road...no clear path. The driven roads arent too bad, but they arent clear in the middle and I dont like that. Gotta love the snow clearing skills out here...which I was back in MN where they know how to operate a plow

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
I did not, and usually do not winterize, because I have been able to ride at least a couple of days a month for the last 6 or 7 years or so, but in order to get a January ride in this year I am going to have to drive the pickup over to Grand Junction and ride my brothers Ultra for a few hours this week. It is cool there but no snow on the ground. My alley here on the East Slope is packed with ice than probably won't melt until some time next month. Plenty of time to take the bike apart and add some farkles.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
goldwinghen3 said:
AWWWWWWWW Sunny and WARM California!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
lol...nothin like living in a place where for 1/5 the price on a home down there you could move to MN on a big lake or have a huge piece of property on a big plot of land with a large home surrounded by absolute beauty worth giving up some riding time.

·
Registered
581 Posts
It's been mild enough to ride but with the salt already on the road i'll wait till spring.I'll be back out about mid March

1 - 20 of 26 Posts